V40's Downunder (Oz) - Volvo V40 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
V40's Downunder (Oz)

I'll start.

2013 model, Southern Highlands NSW. Best car I've owned (and there has been a few, all mainstream badges).

Interesting time on the Hume motorway during the week. Not much traffic, just on dark, 110kmph (zero street lighting).
Eastern grey kangaroo sitting in the middle of the left lane, looking straight me.
Low beam xenon's picked it up early and the suspension/steering system allowed a quick flick of the wheel to go around.
Heart-racing, but effortless for what could have been a massive head-on.

btw:
Anybody know what's happened to the "Volvolife Program" site that used to operate in Oz?

D4 Lux DSP Ice White with tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:15 AM

Garage
G'day Bugsy
We are almost neighbours as I'm in Harrington Park just north of Camden! Would have to agree with your "best car I've ever owned" statement!
It pulls almost as hard as some of the V8 Holdens I owned back in the early 80's, is light years ahead in handling & comfort & uses a darn sight less fuel!!
I am only around 3000kms into my first ever Volvo and can't really fault it so far. My only real gripe is the huge turning circle relative to the size of the car.
I'm very happy with the kit fitted to the Aussie R-Design especially when combined with the DSP... the radar adaptive cruise control in particular is great on the motorway & BLIS is very handy in heavy traffic.

Very glad to hear your encounter with one half of our coat of arms had a happy ending!
Given the size of a fully grown roo though I can't help but wonder what the pedestrian detection system would have done had you hit it!!
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you in the Southern Highlands as we often head to the Surveyor General for a drive & some lunch when the weather is nice...
There aren't that many V40's around here... I've only seen one other R-Design (in Rebel Blue) locally since I bought mine in Feb.

No idea what happened to Volvolife... One of our fellow Oz members Brissm might know.

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.

Last edited by LateStarter; 09-05-2015 at 08:21 AM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
He looked higher than the car - but that's probably just my overactive memory now
Bit unusual as we usually only get (quite a few) Swampies on the "back" roads around there.
A 110km head-on would have made an interesting test of the ped detection system ....I would not feel confident as the roo.
My first Volvo also. Teaching a Learner driver a bit atm. Don't use the stuff like the ACC, lane keeper and auto park with her, but the other tech has her very impressed.
The SG is a good pub. Also get to the Book Barn down that way occasionally. I'll keep an eye out for the Black Sapphire!

D4 Lux DSP Ice White with tint
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 28-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Garage
Hi guys, should have my R-Design in about a week. I'm near Hornsby. Moving from the C30 R-Design so not a huge shift but on the test drives the V40 seems to have a far more responsive gearbox (you really had to manually shift the C30 if you wanted to have a bit of fun).

I'm not sure what to expect with the sound system - my C30 has the High Performance which I think was standard at the time. Not sure if the V40R has the same, but the demo one didn't sound as nice. I may add a small sub and replace/upgrade the stock speakers if it's no good, and perhaps some dynamat as well to quiet the cabin a little more.

Hanging for the Polestar upgrade to become available. It was worth every cent on the C30 so I'll be going in again on the new girl!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 PM

I'm just under two weeks away from picking up my new V40 R Design. There's not many Volvo hatches in Northern Tasmania, which was one of the reasons for buying it.

The only picture I have of it so far is attached.

I can't wait
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_10153055215212921_1436383837058.jpeg (47.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by AdamS; 08-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:53 AM

Garage
Welcome AdamS & Spruce Moose
Have been away from a keyboard for a while by choice!

No doubt a good number of fellow members can also remember a time when "unreachable" meant exactly that & how relaxing it is to put the 24/7 world on hold for while

Great to see more V40's hitting the roads of Oz & indeed several other countries while I've been away
Welcome to all the new members and particularly skycamefalling who finally picked his car up after a patient wait... Congrats!
The good news is I'm confident everyone will enjoy their car as much as I do!!
I really don't think there is a "bad" V40 model on sale though the model variations between markets can be significant.

That Polestar badge looks very interesting Adam...
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it performs...
I am pretty jealous of your great choice of roads to really stretch its legs on down there in Tassie mate
Have driven down there many times but always in hire cars... So many places where the paddle shifters will earn their keep!
Could easily retire somewhere around Cradle Mountain & I'd be a happy camper... Cold but happy

Don't forget some photos when it arrives!

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.

Last edited by LateStarter; 09-07-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateStarter View Post
That Polestar badge looks very interesting Adam...
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it performs...........

Haven looked at the photo I'm intrigued by that Polestar badge myself. What T5 engine does your V40 have - is it the old (and there's nothing wrong with that) 2.5l 5-cylinder T5 or the current Drive-E 4-cylinder T5? I suppose I'm asking what model year is your V40 T5. If it is the new 4-cylinder T5 I'm a little surprised because I had been told the Polestar tunes for any of the Drive-E 4-cylinder engines wouldn't be arriving down under until late this year.

Tony

Edit : and thinking about this is bit more your T5 must be the Drive-E 4-cylinder T5 because there has never been a Polestar tune available for the 5-cylinder T5 as used in the V40.

Last edited by brissim; 09-07-2015 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Additional thought
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:49 AM

Garage
Funny you should say that Tony...
If you browse to Polestar now & select an Aus spec V40 the dealer order code gets generated & you are advised to quote that number to your dealer to get a price to have the work done

Still haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not...
Will have to speak to my insurance company first...

Tempted tho despite the modest gains as it's a drivetrain optimise more than just the engine.

Now to get an Aussie dealer price & then decide...

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:54 AM

Thanks for that LateStarter. I'm still more than a little intrigued given that the Drive-E Polestar tunes were only officially launched a week or two ago and already we have a Polestar-tuned V40 on its way to Australia? Makes me wonder whether the picture Adam was sent was a picture of his actual V40, or simply a generic picture sent by his salesperson. I mean if you were going to send one of your customers a picture of your V40, why on earth would you take a picture of the rear badging? Surely a 3/4 front picture would be more meaningful.

AdamS - can you confirm that the picture you have is of your car?

Tony
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:55 PM

Garage
Just been given AU pricing of $1,250 plus labour (minimal) to install. That's not bad considering the old T5 was $2,200 retail (I paid $1,500 for the C30).

Finally picking up my new girl tomorrow, then Polestar in a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.