Volvo V40 Forums banner

Rebel Blue or Onyx Black??

18K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  SeanV40R 
#1 ·
I'm just about to order my first Volvo v40 r-design but I just can't decide on the colour. I have got it down to the onyx black or the rebel blue the only other extra I'm going for is the 18" wheel upgrade.

Any advice on the colour would be soooo appreciated, I keep going back and forth ?. Can't wait to get it!!

#2 ·
A warm welcome to the forum NewV4oSoon & congrats on deciding on a V40... Great choice!! :)
You find yourself in the very same dilemma pretty much everyone here has faced... What bloody colour?? :s
The only thing I can really say is that there isn't really a "bad" choice... The V40 carries ANY colour brilliantly :)
Colour is such a personal choice no-one can really say much to help I'm afraid :blush:

I got down to pretty much the same 2 colours you have... Black or Rebel Blue... Both great options!
Do I regret Sapphire Black Metallic & the regular wash regime that comes with it? Not for a moment!
Freshly washed & bathed in sunlight it looks stunning :)
Would I have regretted Rebel Blue had I gone that way? Who knows?... But I very much doubt it. Every one I see catches my eye without fail.
Not much help am I?? Sorry about that!!
Best of luck deciding & enjoy your choice when you do... We've all been there :wink2:

#3 · (Edited)
two things first remember with black you lose the rear black styling under the window, which really is part of the image of Volvo, if you can live with that fine, second I would think twice about 18" wheels if you are in the uk other than if you travel on motorways a lot. some members love them others not so much, amongst other things they reduce the turning circle.

other than that welcome to the forum by the way.:grin2:

#4 ·
Ah thank you for the reply and the kind welcome. Wheels on a car are a big thing for me, I think they make a car and I think the slightly darker 18"s change the look totally and fit the arches better, its a personal thing of course and as I do about 85% motor way its not to much of a problem.

Colour wise....this would be my 4th black car if i choose black!! so very tempted by rebel blue for a change then again.....if it aint broke why fix it??? :( lol

#6 ·
Personally I don't like black cars purely for the labour of love.....I hate seeing swirls! I have rebel blue and although it's quite a common colour it does look good especially with the pano roof!

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with Dave, black can look good but can also be a pain to keep looking good, I've had a number of black cars in the past but not any more.
Also as egb rightly points out, you can lose shapes and contours on a black car as everything tends to blend together as one colour.

I also think the wheel style and size can make or break a cars styling, some alloys just look lost on a car if they're too small.
I've opted for the 18" on my R-Design and after popping down to see the car at my dealers a few days ago I'm glad I went with them.

Getting back to body colour, I always only had two colours in mind when considering my order, Rebel Blue or Ice White but also adding the dark tinted glass roof to the white option for contrast.

I was juggling these colours around in my head for days, and Googling loads of images, but finally decided on the Ice White, which I think carries the style of the V40, especially if you add the tinted glass roof, really well.
The contrast between the white body against the black roof and black body trim on the rest of car is just right.

Dont get me wrong, Rebel Blue is a wicked colour, but maybe a bit too bold for me.
Another reason, that actually made up my final decision for not picking Rebel is because, just before ordering I found that there where two others owned very very local to myself, both literally just around the corner, so I just thought, two's company, but three's a crowd, especially in a colour as distinctive as Rebel and all within spitting distance of each other.
It's a colour that deserves to stand out from the crowd.

Another option on styling, which I went for is the R-Design rear styling kit, which looks fantastic on any colour, if your budget allows I highly recommend you add this option.

I think choosing wheel size/style and body colour is probably the most difficult decision about buying a new car.

Good luck.

#10 ·
Thank you for the reply u guys. looking at the pictures online ice whither with the panorama roof is actually a really nice combination. I never really thought of that. Is it quite a nice white being a non metallic colour? What's the panoramic roof like to live with? Thanks again :)

#11 · (Edited)
My last car was a Peugeot RCZ in flat white with a high gloss black roof, a stunning combination, it did look like glass due to its high gloss finish.

On the V40 it is a tinted, almost black glass roof which has an electric blind inside so you have the option of more light inside the cabin or leave it closed up .

Ice White is a bright flat white, great against black trim and the glass tinted roof.

I do like metallic on certain colours, Renault do a stunning metallic Flame Red, but I dont like pearlescant white on ANY car, I think it looks a bit creamy, I like my white bright and clean !
I was actually offered a free upgrade to pearlescant white on the RCZ by the dealer, but opted for the standard flat white as it was a brighter white.

Everyone will like a certain colour better than others , it really is down to personal choice.

You can put the glass roof on any colour you fancy, and it does look very good against the Rebel Blue, but for me it was the Ice White combination that did it.

I haven't collected my car yet from the dealer, I have been to see it, and it really is a good looking car, especially with the rear styling pack option, but I'm waiting for the new 2016 plate come out on March 1st for collection.
My lad wants me to "go get it now", because he's a named driver on the insurance, even though he has his own very nice white Alfa Giulietta Clover Leaf, which by coincidence he's thinking of having the roof wrapped in gloss black.
Bloody copy cat. LOL.

Theres something about white good looking cars in this family .:grin2:

#14 ·
Well our first v40 cc lux I chose black with privacy glass, looked good on the Volvo site, but I have to say with all the black trim that comes on the cc, I soon realised after we picked it up that it was just to much black, and the wife just hated it, it looked more like a van I was told, thankfully due to electrical problems and a tendency to lock us out and tyre pressure monitors going off ,after 8 months the car was returned to Volvo by our lease company Motability, the wife insisted our second v40 r lux be ice white even though we are allowed to get a metallic colour free of charge, funny enough we would have had to pay for rebel blue!! and I have to agree its a real stunner in white, all the contours are there to see, but which ever colour you go for its always a very personal choice, just enjoy

Reactions: jactac
#16 ·
Style wise the only thing I dislike about the V40 exterior is the chrome trim round the windows, looks fine on a luxury model but I think it looks old fashioned on a sports model, it would look better black. Inside the only thing I don't like is the chrome and blue stripe down the centre of the dash, if it had been all chrome or all black then I think it would look better. Personal things and I'm sure others will think the total opposite. 18" wheels do look a lot better, but with the standard 17" wheels you still get a fair bit of road noise and the ride can be a bit bumpy so I would try to get a test drive on the 18's before you decide on them. I would pick rebel blue before black, simply because black paint with black leather interior can be a bit dreary and black is hard work to keep clean.

#17 ·
Rich java

Hello
My V40 is now one month old, I chose the colour Rich Java from a picture on the Volvo website and was extremely apprehensive to say the least. But "WOW" she looks fabulous in the sunlight, not that we seem to get a great deal of that. But as I said one month on and so many comments as to how nice the car looks. I appreciate colour is a personal thing but take a look you might be sold. I would post some pictures of my car but not sure how to go about it.:nerd:

#22 ·
Cheers for all the replies. I am actually very tempted by the ice white now but I think the panaromaic roof is a must. I'm not sure about the blue, was really keen but i still have that niggling doubt - i'm not sure if I would regret it or not. As my last 3 cars have been black maybe I should have a change.

jactac - Can i just ask....what does the rear styling kit include? I can find any information on it on the website. Do you think they are still doing it?

Thanks again!

#29 ·
Ice white with panoramic roof was what I had and it was nice, the roof looked good and the chrome surrounds on the windows didn't stand out too bad against the white paint, it's also a no cost paint choice so that offsets the price of the roof a bit. The panoramic roof also makes the interior lighter as black leather and black headlining makes it pretty dark inside, although if you or your passengers are tall I believe the roof reduces the interior headroom slightly. I like the silver but its a fairly expensive paint option, but silver is one of the easiest colours to keep clean and again the chrome blends in with the silver paint well.

#23 · (Edited)
Oh man you wont regret Ice White with the Panoramic roof, and if you add the styling kit its the icing on the cake.

The kit comprises of :

"Exterior Styling Kit for V40 R-design" contains the following parts:
Deflector, side
Deflector, rear
Spoiler, roof

The roof spoiler replaces the standard one, and the deflectors are added to the sill and the rear wheels aches.

I think its £675 fitted ?
It comes pre-painted to match your car.
Each different colour has a different part number for the kit.
Ice White is 39831938

When researching you might find that you see that Volvo offer two types of rear styling kits, but theres just the one for the R-Design.
It's listed as :
"Exterior Styling Kit for V40 R-design"

The other is "Exterior Styling Kit", main difference is the roof spoiler on the R-Design kit is a different style and replaces the original, I dont think it is replaced on the standard kit ?

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-co/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-479971/2015

#26 ·
Ah thank u jactac. I just found the styling kit. It does look very nice. Don't think I have the money for it though after the wheel upgrade and pamoramic roof. Thought I had finally come to a conclusion with Ice White and then I come across this colour....FML ��

http://www.tmsmotorgroup.co.uk/Used-Car-Details.aspx?Stock_ID=44103094524&slideshow=true

Any of you guys seen this colour in the flesh. I think it's a premium metallic colour?

#28 ·
Ah thank u jactac. I just found the styling kit. It does look very nice. Don't think I have the money for it though after the wheel upgrade and pamoramic roof. Thought I had finally come to a conclusion with Ice White and then I come across this colour....FML ��

http://www.tmsmotorgroup.co.uk/Used-Car-Details.aspx?Stock_ID=44103094524&slideshow=true

Any of you guys seen this colour in the flesh. I think it's a premium metallic colour?
electric silver I think premium with a price to match, a nice shade if you are into silver not the bright in your face silver wheel colour, try haggling at this time of the year, remember February is a slow month for dealers even with a Motability lease I got £500 towards the advance payment when I had already had one for the v40 that was being returned after just 8 months. :wink2:

Reactions: jactac
#27 · (Edited)
If your buying new get the dealer to do a "deal" on the kit, theres always room for a bit of movement on the price.

I've seen a silver V40 but not sure if its this particular silver ?

For me, and this is just my opinion, Silver can sometimes look a bit dated, dont get me wrong it looks nice in those pics.
I also found on the silver cars I've had that after washing,polishing & waxing it doesn't really "stand out", it just looks like a cleaner car, but like I say thats just my opinion.

Just to throw in a curve ball have you considered red with the Panoramic roof.
Again its a colour that contrast's well with the black trim and roof, just like Ice White and Rebel Blue.

I would probably say Ice White, Rebel Blue, and the red would be my final 3 choices, but all with the Panoramic roof.

#30 ·
I do agree with silver being an easy colour to keep looking clean, it never seems to look as dirty as some colours.
I actually think too that white tends to stay looking cleaner longer than black, I know that may sound odd but black just shows up every bit of dust and dirt almost as soon as you've cleaned it.

Reactions: darrenT3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.