Rebel Blue or Onyx Black?? - Volvo V40 Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Rebel Blue or Onyx Black??

I'm just about to order my first Volvo v40 r-design but I just can't decide on the colour. I have got it down to the onyx black or the rebel blue the only other extra I'm going for is the 18" wheel upgrade.

Any advice on the colour would be soooo appreciated, I keep going back and forth 😓. Can't wait to get it!!
LateStarter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 08:39 AM

Garage
A warm welcome to the forum NewV4oSoon & congrats on deciding on a V40... Great choice!!
You find yourself in the very same dilemma pretty much everyone here has faced... What bloody colour??
The only thing I can really say is that there isn't really a "bad" choice... The V40 carries ANY colour brilliantly
Colour is such a personal choice no-one can really say much to help I'm afraid

I got down to pretty much the same 2 colours you have... Black or Rebel Blue... Both great options!
Do I regret Sapphire Black Metallic & the regular wash regime that comes with it? Not for a moment!
Freshly washed & bathed in sunlight it looks stunning
Would I have regretted Rebel Blue had I gone that way? Who knows?... But I very much doubt it. Every one I see catches my eye without fail.
Not much help am I?? Sorry about that!!
Best of luck deciding & enjoy your choice when you do... We've all been there

MY 2015 Black Sapphire T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar. Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 09:57 AM
egb

two things first remember with black you lose the rear black styling under the window, which really is part of the image of Volvo, if you can live with that fine, second I would think twice about 18" wheels if you are in the uk other than if you travel on motorways a lot. some members love them others not so much, amongst other things they reduce the turning circle.

other than that welcome to the forum by the way.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |

Last edited by egb; 30-01-2016 at 10:00 AM.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Ah thank you for the reply and the kind welcome. Wheels on a car are a big thing for me, I think they make a car and I think the slightly darker 18"s change the look totally and fit the arches better, its a personal thing of course and as I do about 85% motor way its not to much of a problem.

Colour wise....this would be my 4th black car if i choose black!! so very tempted by rebel blue for a change then again.....if it aint broke why fix it??? lol
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Another thing my dealer said is that they will be stopping rebel blue soon? Will this make the car more desirable in 3 or 4 years as there will be fewer of them about?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 11:36 AM

Garage
Personally I don't like black cars purely for the labour of love.....I hate seeing swirls! I have rebel blue and although it's quite a common colour it does look good especially with the pano roof!

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 10:56 AM

Garage
I agree with Dave, black can look good but can also be a pain to keep looking good, I've had a number of black cars in the past but not any more.
Also as egb rightly points out, you can lose shapes and contours on a black car as everything tends to blend together as one colour.

I also think the wheel style and size can make or break a cars styling, some alloys just look lost on a car if they're too small.
I've opted for the 18" on my R-Design and after popping down to see the car at my dealers a few days ago I'm glad I went with them.

Getting back to body colour, I always only had two colours in mind when considering my order, Rebel Blue or Ice White but also adding the dark tinted glass roof to the white option for contrast.

I was juggling these colours around in my head for days, and Googling loads of images, but finally decided on the Ice White, which I think carries the style of the V40, especially if you add the tinted glass roof, really well.
The contrast between the white body against the black roof and black body trim on the rest of car is just right.

Dont get me wrong, Rebel Blue is a wicked colour, but maybe a bit too bold for me.
Another reason, that actually made up my final decision for not picking Rebel is because, just before ordering I found that there where two others owned very very local to myself, both literally just around the corner, so I just thought, two's company, but three's a crowd, especially in a colour as distinctive as Rebel and all within spitting distance of each other.
It's a colour that deserves to stand out from the crowd.

Another option on styling, which I went for is the R-Design rear styling kit, which looks fantastic on any colour, if your budget allows I highly recommend you add this option.

I think choosing wheel size/style and body colour is probably the most difficult decision about buying a new car.

Good luck.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints

Last edited by jactac; 31-01-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 07:19 PM

Rebel blue is gorgeous and and still looks presentable when slightly dirty or dusty which black does not.
rkomann, Trebor1960 and jactac like this.

2014 V40 R Design T3 manual Rebel Blue
(2014 V40 ES D2 manual Ice White - father's car)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 09:27 PM

Garage
Totally agree.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply u guys. looking at the pictures online ice whither with the panorama roof is actually a really nice combination. I never really thought of that. Is it quite a nice white being a non metallic colour? What's the panoramic roof like to live with? Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.