Miles Milometres on V40 - Volvo V40 Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
Miles Milometres on V40

Buyer beware. You know the V40 is a Great car but beware there are stupid omissions to the car.
Firstly as I personally drive from the UK to Europe my speedo is in Miles but the EU is kilometres, the thought never crossed my mind. Yes it does have kilometres on a very small display activated on the thumb wheel but its so small. Would you like to drive for an extended period using this. Now it has a inbuilt sat nav. Which also is locked in miles. There is a Fantastic radar speed alert system but again if driving in europe I don't know if a kilometre sign shows on the speedo as say 110 km as 110 mph, I guess my solution would be to switch off the inbuilt sat nav and use my tomtom and put a sticker over the speedo display that shows kilometres. I just also paid for a map update to my sat nav £200 only to find its still not upto date, all in all I am very disappointed, not at all what I was expecting.
Mike Hornett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
stuart s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 134
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hornett View Post
Buyer beware. You know the V40 is a Great car but beware there are stupid omissions to the car.
Firstly as I personally drive from the UK to Europe my speedo is in Miles but the EU is kilometres, the thought never crossed my mind. Yes it does have kilometres on a very small display activated on the thumb wheel but its so small. Would you like to drive for an extended period using this. Now it has a inbuilt sat nav. Which also is locked in miles. There is a Fantastic radar speed alert system but again if driving in europe I don't know if a kilometre sign shows on the speedo as say 110 km as 110 mph, I guess my solution would be to switch off the inbuilt sat nav and use my tomtom and put a sticker over the speedo display that shows kilometres. I just also paid for a map update to my sat nav £200 only to find its still not upto date, all in all I am very disappointed, not at all what I was expecting.
Mike
I travelled from Yorkshire to Italy last year, not a problem. I didn't realise I could get the km/hr. on the dash. I actually compiled a conversion chart on an A4 sheet, with km/hr. equal to mph a conversion, but soon was used to the correct max speed.
I was not a "million miles" away just going with the flow, except being rather pedestrian on the odd German road.
Travelling a similar route in 10 days time.
The easiest fit for Volvo to sort, would be to update their speedo screen with Km on the inner circle & mph on the outer, like the good old days.

V40 D4 R Design Nav Auto White + all the toys
stuart s is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
Hi there, I dont think there is a quick fix for this, does your V40 have city safety ? mine does and its fantastic but as I say the Sat Nav and all systems are in MPH. My problem is I drive for maybe 5 months of the year and can you imagine what thats going to be like. Don't forget that the Cruise also increments in 5 mph clicks. I know you can manually set by just touching the + but really this is a very sophisticated car, it has the three options of dash, you would have thought that one of them could have been a Kilometre display. Personally I find the Themes a waste of time and only use one of the standard options. (Elegance) Eco and Performance
Mike Hornett is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
I note that there is no comment from any official Volvo source.

Well I am off to France on Wednesday, as nobody can tell what will happen I will report back on my return, my guess is it will be so confusing, surely if the Speed in France is in Kilometres then it should show on my speedo in Kilometres but as I keep saying my Speedo is in MPH as Stuart S has said previously "The easiest fit for Volvo to sort, would be to update their speedo screen with Km on the inner circle & mph on the outer, like the good old days" or I will need a sticker on my Speedo screen that shows KPH and switch off the speed display in my Sat Nav. "Volvo this is not good is it" As I said all these fancy themes are frankly useless, it would have been more productive to have had one of them Showing Kilometres and Miles.
Come on you Volvo V40 owners this is a reallly silly slip up and needs sorting. personally 5 months of the year like this will be very silly. I understand the car can be reprogrammed but each time !!!
Mike Hornett is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hornett View Post
I note that there is no comment from any official Volvo source.

Come on you Volvo V40 owners this is a reallly silly slip up and needs sorting. personally 5 months of the year like this will be very silly. I understand the car can be reprogrammed but each time !!!
It's been an issue on the -60 series cars for 2 years longer than the V40 (the new S/V/XC60 was launched in 2010 and the instrument clusters are basically the same as the V40s) and Volvo haven't done anything about it on the Active TFT cluster despite a spate of owners writing angry emails to Volvo UK and them supposedly handing the issue up the chain to Sweden.

The one thing that did change is the display on the LCD panel on the analogue dash. Originally on the -60 series cars it could either be set to Off or displayed the opposite measurement to what the cluster was configured as (ie. if you had a car built as MPH it would show KPH, and vice versa), but in late 2012-2013 the software on the cluster was changed to make it selectable Off/MPH/KPH.

The Active TFT dash on the new XC90 is user-configurable between MPH and KPH, so you would hope this would filter down to the new S/V/XC40, whenever it is released. At this point though I wouldn't hold out much hope of anything changing for the current V40 (though you never know, they may have changed it on the MY17 facelift cars...).

Last edited by buzby; 20-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.
buzby is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
motmot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 509
Whilst it's a bit of a glaring omission in the software from Volvo - I've never had any problems driving overseas with a mph speedo. Most of my older cars have had dual dials - with kph in tiny numbers - so I mentally recalibrate mph into kph. Eg. 56 is 90. 62 is 100, 78 is 130 (of the top of my head)....

I'm not near my car at the moment (on the tram) but can the Nav models display the speed on the nav display as KPh?
motmot is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-06-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
Hi MotMot, the answer is NO it still shows in MPH, now something more serious, I have an all singing dancing V40 all beit 2013. It has Sat Nav Radar, street safety etc etc. its fantastic but I am guessing anything associated with Kilometres will still show MPH. I mentioned in a previous post that I am off to France for the Day Wednesday 22nd June so will find out exactly what will happen.
This is my guess, it will only show Miles on the Speedo (I know this because there is the thumbwheel small KPH bottom right of speedo) what concerns me is that the Radar will pick up a Kilometre Sign and put a red mark on my MPH speedo, ie 110kph will mark at 110mph also as I use Cruise it increments in 5 mph so I am guessing again this will stay.
Why am I on the case ! well I have been driving in Europe for many years, I am retired and spend at least 5 months of the year in Spain and have never had any vehicle that did not show miles and kilometres on its speedo, I use a Tom Tom sat nav which just swaps from mph to kph also says what side of the road I should drive on, it shows speed alerts etc etc. its updated on the internet, thank goodness I still have it, for the moment my only work round will be to have a manual alert on my Speedo (Sticker) switch off all speed displays on my Sat Nav, revert to using my Tom Tom. You know I am questioning if the vehicle complies to EU regs, (I am in the process of having thius checked out by my MEP Roger Helmer, still waiting about that. Re Sat Nav after asking for an update map and paying £173 for it the Map-update it is still out of date, I think this is not fit for purpose and have asked for my money back. On this subject I think there is a ray of hope in that there maybe a software upgrade on the horizon that will allow us to download a map from the internet to a USB stick and allow us to have free Map upgrades for life.
Has anybody seen the uTube video by Anders Polheimer program manager showing all the features of the V40
Not sure if anybody from Volvo reads these posts but pretty soon I am going to vist Marlow Volvo UK HQ and demand to see somebody senior to put my / our case.
All this said I love my Volvo and really enjoy driving it but you know if I had spotted this and other issues like unable to add DAB radio, I would not have purchased it and kept my V50

Sorry to have gone on but you know this is now getting to me. Whats this is saying is it can be done but the vehicle needs to be reprogrammed each time, what a load of rubbish, after guys its just software.
Thought you all would like to read comment from Volvo UK
I dont want to move I just want to go on holidays or extended trips.

Dear Mr Hornett
Thank you for your further email.

As per all of our previous correspondence there currently is no function available to change the display to reflect kilometres instead of miles. Should you wish to move to a foreign country there is an option to reconfigure your vehicle to reflect kilometres as mentioned in Ahmad’s email.

“To change the odometer unit, the technical support needs to do a configuration change of the car in the database, and then a SW download from the dealer is needed. But to change it permanently, you need to do the same action again, when going back.” However this is a permanent fix not temporary.

I apologise that we can could not respond more positively on this occasion.

Kind regards

Ryan
Atkinson
Customer Relations Consultant

VOLVO CAR UK LIMITED
18007
Volvo Car UK Limited, Scandinavia House, Norreys Drive
Maidenhead
Berkshire
SL6 4FL
United Kingdom
volvocars.com
Registered office Volvo Car UK Limited, Scandinavia House, Norreys Drive, Maidenhead, SL6 4FL
Registered in England & Wales No. 02281044. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry out credit broking.
This communication and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the addressee. It may contain (and if labelled 'Private and Confidential' does contain) confidential information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication and its attachments to persons other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Unless specifically stated, the contents of this communication do not necessarily represent the views of Volvo Car UK Limited. If you received this communication in error, please phone +44 (0)1628 422200 and destroy this email and any attachments.
Mike Hornett is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hornett View Post
Hi MotMot, the answer is NO it still shows in MPH, now something more serious, I have an all singing dancing V40 all beit 2013. It has Sat Nav Radar, street safety etc etc. its fantastic but I am guessing anything associated with Kilometres will still show MPH. I mentioned in a previous post that I am off to France for the Day Wednesday 22nd June so will find out exactly what will happen.
This is my guess, it will only show Miles on the Speedo (I know this because there is the thumbwheel small KPH bottom right of speedo) what concerns me is that the Radar will pick up a Kilometre Sign and put a red mark on my MPH speedo, ie 110kph will mark at 110mph also as I use Cruise it increments in 5 mph so I am guessing again this will stay.
Why am I on the case ! well I have been driving in Europe for many years, I am retired and spend at least 5 months of the year in Spain and have never had any vehicle that did not show miles and kilometres on its speedo, I use a Tom Tom sat nav which just swaps from mph to kph also says what side of the road I should drive on, it shows speed alerts etc etc. its updated on the internet, thank goodness I still have it, for the moment my only work round will be to have a manual alert on my Speedo (Sticker) switch off all speed displays on my Sat Nav, revert to using my Tom Tom. You know I am questioning if the vehicle complies to EU regs, (I am in the process of having thius checked out by my MEP Roger Helmer, still waiting about that. Re Sat Nav after asking for an update map and paying £173 for it the Map-update it is still out of date, I think this is not fit for purpose and have asked for my money back. On this subject I think there is a ray of hope in that there maybe a software upgrade on the horizon that will allow us to download a map from the internet to a USB stick and allow us to have free Map upgrades for life.
Has anybody seen the uTube video by Anders Polheimer program manager showing all the features of the V40
Not sure if anybody from Volvo reads these posts but pretty soon I am going to vist Marlow Volvo UK HQ and demand to see somebody senior to put my / our case.
All this said I love my Volvo and really enjoy driving it but you know if I had spotted this and other issues like unable to add DAB radio, I would not have purchased it and kept my V50

Sorry to have gone on but you know this is now getting to me. Whats this is saying is it can be done but the vehicle needs to be reprogrammed each time, what a load of rubbish, after guys its just software.
Thought you all would like to read comment from Volvo UK
I dont want to move I just want to go on holidays or extended trips.

Dear Mr Hornett
Thank you for your further email.

As per all of our previous correspondence there currently is no function available to change the display to reflect kilometres instead of miles. Should you wish to move to a foreign country there is an option to reconfigure your vehicle to reflect kilometres as mentioned in Ahmad’s email.

“To change the odometer unit, the technical support needs to do a configuration change of the car in the database, and then a SW download from the dealer is needed. But to change it permanently, you need to do the same action again, when going back.” However this is a permanent fix not temporary.

I apologise that we can could not respond more positively on this occasion.

Kind regards

Ryan
Atkinson
Customer Relations Consultant

VOLVO CAR UK LIMITED
18007
Volvo Car UK Limited, Scandinavia House, Norreys Drive
Maidenhead
Berkshire
SL6 4FL
United Kingdom
volvocars.com
Registered office Volvo Car UK Limited, Scandinavia House, Norreys Drive, Maidenhead, SL6 4FL
Registered in England & Wales No. 02281044. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry out credit broking.
This communication and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the addressee. It may contain (and if labelled 'Private and Confidential' does contain) confidential information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication and its attachments to persons other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Unless specifically stated, the contents of this communication do not necessarily represent the views of Volvo Car UK Limited. If you received this communication in error, please phone +44 (0)1628 422200 and destroy this email and any attachments.
Hi to any body reading this.
Well I decided to take my VolvoV40 to France for the day and what happened was what I expected.
Obviously the Kilometres display is so small. Also as I have said again the Radar picks up the speed signs and puts them on the Speedo as Miles ie 100 kmh is shown as 100 mph also of course the Sat Nav shows speed in MPH, I will need to switch off that display if I go for an extended period. Also as the Cruise Control increments in 5 mph segments that is silly an cannot be switched off, I am speaking to any VolvoV40 drivers who I see and getting them to see their local dealer. I spoke to a Lady Driver at Calais who was also disturbed and confused as she was expecting Miles Kilometres also. Does any body read these posts. ????????
Mike Hornett is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bristol
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hornett View Post
Does any body read these posts. ????????
I'm not sure if I've misinterpreted but this isn't an official Volvo forum. There is one here but you're not going to get a different response than you would from your contact with Volvo UK I'd imagine.

I think you're just going to have to live with the car as it stands because it seems unlikely Volvo are going to make any change at this point, especially as they have new models to be working on. Having said that, I was really surprised they bothered with the update that allowed the maps to be updated by USB with my model year, so never say never.
abby606 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hornett View Post
Also as the Cruise Control increments in 5 mph segments that is silly an cannot be switched off,
You can change the cruise control speed in 1MPH increments by holding the + or - button down - whilst it's held down, it will slowly count up or down in 1MPH steps, and will stop when you release the button.
buzby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many miles to zero from a full tank? jaseace1978 Engine and Technical 13 05-05-2016 08:28 AM
100,000 miles and looking good DarrenCC Volvo V40 General Discussion 4 10-10-2015 11:03 PM
3 weeks and 2,600 miles later.... Volvo V40 R Design D4 Caspian Blue Budha4165 Owners' Garage 9 15-08-2015 08:58 PM
New D2 - how about first miles Guidelines? popinjay Engine and Technical 13 20-02-2015 12:51 AM
Things I have learned about my V40 - 6 months and 4400 miles on! Andy_14 Volvo V40 General Discussion 30 14-11-2014 03:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome