Auto lights/rain sensing wipers on the new R-Design? - Volvo V40 Forums
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 13
Auto lights/rain sensing wipers on the new R-Design?

Morning all!

I have ordered a brand new R-Design with the Nav Plus pack, that is due to be delivered in the next 6 weeks.

After browsing the specs i'm a little worried about something the salesman told me.

Basically, on the test drive I specifically asked if the car will come with auto headlights and rain sensing wipers, to which he replied "yes, but i'll double check when we get back".

On return to the dealers, he checked a price guide and confirmed that it would come with the two things mentioned. So we went ahead and ordered. Osmium Grey, T3 engine, couldn't wait!

But after looking though a spec sheet, I noticed no mention of the lights, other than the car having the new Thor's Hammer lights, and the only mention of the wipers was on the R-Design Pro model.

Has anyone taken delivery of a new facelift R-Design and their car does have these features?

Thanks in advance

Kriss!
krisspickering is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Spruce Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 142
Garage
Can't help with the info, but I can tell you that the rain-sensing wipers, for me, are poo. They seem to want to go twice as quickly as I'd usually have them during rain, and then when it's only really light or occasional rain and I would usually just do one 'wipe', they don't respond at all. Or say you enter a tunnel and as you go in you'd normally have one last wipe and then nothing until you come out. With rain-sensing on, I find if a little water dribbles down from the roof, i.e. nothing that you would put the wipers on for, it will activate them again.

I use nanolex on my front and rear windows which beads the water away fast, so maybe it's just my scenario, but I wouldn't be concerned if yours doesn't come with them. Auto lights on the other hand - that's a good thing I reckon!
feltorange likes this.

MY15 V40 T5 R-Design Ice White, Polestar, Heated Seats. Audio upgrade and window tint TBC.
Spruce Moose is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
Can't help with the info, but I can tell you that the rain-sensing wipers, for me, are poo. They seem to want to go twice as quickly as I'd usually have them during rain, and then when it's only really light or occasional rain and I would usually just do one 'wipe', they don't respond at all. Or say you enter a tunnel and as you go in you'd normally have one last wipe and then nothing until you come out. With rain-sensing on, I find if a little water dribbles down from the roof, i.e. nothing that you would put the wipers on for, it will activate them again.
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity with the 'intermittent speed' thumbwheel when the auto wipers are on?
chiptivo and feltorange like this.
buzby is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
Can't help with the info, but I can tell you that the rain-sensing wipers, for me, are poo. They seem to want to go twice as quickly as I'd usually have them during rain, and then when it's only really light or occasional rain and I would usually just do one 'wipe', they don't respond at all. Or say you enter a tunnel and as you go in you'd normally have one last wipe and then nothing until you come out. With rain-sensing on, I find if a little water dribbles down from the roof, i.e. nothing that you would put the wipers on for, it will activate them again.

I use nanolex on my front and rear windows which beads the water away fast, so maybe it's just my scenario, but I wouldn't be concerned if yours doesn't come with them. Auto lights on the other hand - that's a good thing I reckon!
Thats really disappointing(if they do actually turn out to on my car). I have a Tiguan at the minute and they are really good on that. Only issue I found is that sometimes you have to give them a single wipe in light rain....
krisspickering is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
jactac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Swansea
Posts: 503
Garage
If its any help I have the 2016 R-Design Lux Nav, and it has both auto wipers and active Bi-Xenon lights, which I find both features very good.
mzezman and Trebor1960 like this.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
jactac is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Gauteng
Posts: 198
Garage
*Side note - One thing you will quickly notice on the forum is the VERY differentiated package setup across the regions. One R-Design package is not exactly the same as another in a different region.

MY 2016 R-Design D4 in RSA comes with both options as standard - not sure about the facelift

Volvo do mention that use of *water repellent* products may inhibit the effectiveness of the rain sensors on the auto wipers. I do not use any of these products but have had the speeding up / slowing down effect. The sensitivity does come right after a few wipes though if you adjust it via the dial.
mzezman is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzezman View Post
*Side note - One thing you will quickly notice on the forum is the VERY differentiated package setup across the regions. One R-Design package is not exactly the same as another in a different region.

MY 2016 R-Design D4 in RSA comes with both options as standard - not sure about the facelift

Volvo do mention that use of *water repellent* products may inhibit the effectiveness of the rain sensors on the auto wipers. I do not use any of these products but have had the speeding up / slowing down effect. The sensitivity does come right after a few wipes though if you adjust it via the dial.
Yeah, I've noticed that there is a lot of variation where Volvo are concerned.

If it helps, i'm in the UK(Barnsley in South Yorkshire to be precise!)...
krisspickering is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
chiptivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 279
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzby View Post
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity with the 'intermittent speed' thumbwheel when the auto wipers are on?
Quoting this. I recommend the auto wipers, and never have a problem with them. I don't use any screen product.

Only grip is they are default as OFF everytime I get in the car.

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
chiptivo is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
motmot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 488
They're ok - but not as good as the ones on my mk6 golf were... It's no biggie tbh..
motmot is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
stuart s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 116
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Quoting this. I recommend the auto wipers, and never have a problem with them. I don't use any screen product.

Only grip is they are default as OFF everytime I get in the car.
Same gripe with me
kevinlufc likes this.

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys
stuart s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rain sensor jonathing Interior 1 01-06-2016 10:20 PM
How Can You Flash Highbeams with Auto Lights stageshoot Volvo V40 General Discussion 2 27-02-2016 07:45 PM
Automatic wipers anixie Volvo V40 General Discussion 13 18-02-2015 09:41 PM
Auto wipers Howie Exterior 7 20-08-2013 04:48 PM
rain sensing wipers London_2012 Volvo V40 General Discussion 20 10-01-2013 11:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome