Help! - Volvo V40 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Help!

Can anyone help to stop me making possibly a wrong decision with my order.

As stated in another post I am about to oder my new car tomorrow ( motability ) so it is obviously a big decision to make wrongly.

I have a V40 CC at present and am looking at ordering another V40 but in R-Design trip with the T3 engine and auto box, now the advisor at my local dealer tells me that this is a great deal, but at the end of the day he is still just a salesman.

Does anyone here actually own one of these and if so what is the autobox like to live with on a daily basis, having read a couple of posts about problems with this box and I don't want to end up stuck with something I am not happy with for the next three years I would rather stump up the extra £100 to go up to the T3 manual thanks all for reading this.

Sean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Garage
I'll add my thoughts on the T2 auto I borrowed for the day while mine was in for service.

It was only a 6 speed but in my opinion suited the output of the engine. I did find first gear/reverse needed quite a bit more control on the brakes when manoeuvring than I'm used to in some automatics (albeit they're on merc sprinter vans at work) but other than that I found it quite smooth going when it changed up/down. When in sport mode it holds on to the revs a fair bit longer and allows you more control over changes. I did find, however it was a bit slow to respond to any increased acceleration when on the move but perfectly fine in other situations.

Out of interest why are they charging you more for the manual? Is it part of the deal?

Sent from my  iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 03:57 PM

I have a T3 Manual, which is fine. I chose to go back to manual from my V50 auto, but I am a low mileage driver these days.
The 2L T3 engine is very smooth, especially using the higher grade fuel (which seems to give slightly better fuel economy).

I don't understand the additional price for manual as the list price for T3 manual is £21,775 and auto £23,240, without optional extras.

D3 SE Lux Caspian Blue 2012 - 2015
T3 SE Lux Nav Flamenco Red 2015 -
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy View Post
I have a T3 Manual, which is fine. I chose to go back to manual from my V50 auto, but I am a low mileage driver these days.
The 2L T3 engine is very smooth, especially using the higher grade fuel (which seems to give slightly better fuel economy).

I don't understand the additional price for manual as the list price for T3 manual is £21,775 and auto £23,240, without optional extras.

The T3 auto is coming in at a £399 while the T3 manual is coming in at £499 because the auto is being subsidized by Volvo, but it's the auto box that concerns me, posts complaining of harsh gear changes and jumping when put into drive is concerning, having owned auto's in the past and not had any similar issues I would have thought that the Volvo auto box gear changes would have been flawless.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 05:58 PM
egb

hi why not just go for an extended test drive with the auto im sure it will be fine, with forums you only ever hear of the problems that some including myself have found our powerdrive for me is excellent and there is no way I would go back to a manual and all that pain. I know some dealer's suddenly don't have an auto available for motability lease sale but it is up to them to find one under their agreement to sell motability lease cars, I have to agree with IamDave the low rev forward reverse braking can be a bit grabby but that's due to the powerful brakes but you soon get to know how to counter it, if not I get a quick reminder from mrs b. at least it doesn't near stall half way out of a junction like a Citroen we had as it decided which gear to be in or a vw golf that would not stop creeping unless you held it on the brakes, I think that it is a good deal with the sub from Volvo we got £500 towards the a/p with ours, but really its your choice if your happy to continue with a manual, hope it all works out for you tomorrow.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |

Last edited by egb; 30-10-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post
hi why not just go for an extended test drive with the auto im sure it will be fine, with forums you only ever hear of the problems that some including myself have found our powerdrive for me is excellent and there is no way I would go back to a manual and all that pain. I know some dealer's suddenly don't have an auto available for motability lease sale but it is up to them to find one under their agreement to sell motability lease cars, I have to agree with IamDave the low rev forward reverse braking can be a bit grabby but that's due to the powerful brakes but you soon get to know how to counter it, if not I get a quick reminder from mrs b. at least it doesn't near stall half way out of a junction like a Citroen we had as it decided which gear to be in or a vw golf that would not stop creeping unless you held it on the brakes, I think that it is a good deal with the sub from Volvo we got £500 towards the a/p with ours, but really its your choice if your happy to continue with a manual, hope it all works out for you tomorrow.

Thanks again egb, and everyone else, that is a very good idea, I must admit I am leaning towards the auto as driving around town these days is getting to be a real pita, and I'm due to have a another knee replacement soon, in the left leg this time so it will make life easier all around, thanks everyone for your help in helping me, once again owners forums are a great source of help and knowledge.

Can anyone tell me which auto box is used in the v40 T3 ?

Last edited by SeanV40R; 30-10-2016 at 07:11 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanV40R View Post
it's the auto box that concerns me, posts complaining of harsh gear changes and jumping when put into drive is concerning, having owned auto's in the past and not had any similar issues I would have thought that the Volvo auto box gear changes would have been flawless.
I haven't noticed any jumping when put into drive (or reverse), and my complaint about occasional harsh gear changes isn't really a big deal for me. It's just that I expected it to be a little bit smoother in those conditions. Usually it is very smooth, but sometimes it can be provoked to feel... less smooth.

It's quite possible that someone with more experience of modern automatic gearboxes than me would consider it flawless. I haven't driven many automatic cars the last 15-20 years, and I simply expected more improvement (based on my memory and current experience).

I definitely don't regret getting this drive train (T4 aut, the same gearbox as in the T3 aut), even I might have chosen the 8-spd awd version instead if I had made the order today. I wouldn't even consider going back to manual.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanV40R View Post

Can anyone tell me which auto box is used in the v40 T3 ?
It's an Aisin/AW TF-71SC. I believe it has only been in production a couple of years, but is a successor (with minor changes) to a gearbox that has been used by several major car manufacturers (and had some common problems with hydraulic valves the first few years but appears to have been successfully updated). I don't know the nature of those minor changes, and I may even be wrong about them being minor.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 06:10 AM

Garage
I belive it's the same as in our D2 CC my16 2.0lt mainly had no problems with it.
You can confuse it by driving economically then suddenly booting it out of a junction etc.i quite often drive it in manual mode as I find it gives a smoother drive and let's you change gear at the revs you want rather than what it wants.
Mine is a motability lease car so I thought carefully before choosing it and tried several cars and found I didn't like the robotic manuals/auto and could not find a car with a dsg gearbox that I liked.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

OK, have been and done the deed, ordered my new car this morning, took one out for a drive and loved it, I think I am now another Volvo for life man.
egb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.