D4 30 55.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-07-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

D2 or D4

Hello guys,

Its my first post here and I have to say that you are doing a really good job

Im interested to lease a new v40 but I haven't decide yet between D2 or D4. In the greek market the price difference is around 5000€ for the decent Momentum version.

My question is the following, should I go for the D2 with lots of extra options or I should follow the heart and choose the D4 for the driving experience, with just a NAV extra?

The fuel consumption with the new D4 drive-e engine is almost the same with D2 but the torque is double.

Waiting your suggestions

Last edited by v40ckor; 22-07-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Hello v40ckor

You are not mentioning the tax burden of the d4 engine
The Greek tax legislation is harsh on anything bigger than 1600cc

The new drive-e engines seem really promising. Delivering such power with such low consumption sounds undoubtly excellent. I would worry that they are really new, meaning that ideally I would like to have them on the road for a couple of years. Volvo is highly reliable but again most cars have issues in their early years..

Nevertheless, if I could afford the extra 5k and the tax burden was not an issue for my wallet, I reckon I would go for the drive-e D4 rather than a more luxury D2 version.
Rixardos and jifen like this.

V40 D2 kinetic-Biarritz Blue-Business Pack-TFT-Rain Sensors
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-07-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

DefinitelyV40

Thanks for your answer, Im thinking about D4 because as I mentioned I will lease the car and not buy it, so I dont have to pay extra taxes, insurance costs etc.

The fact that the engine is new is something to have in mind, but don't think will be a big issue. I haven't test drive D4 yet, but from the videos I have seen looks like reaaaally powerful than the D2, which is great & reliable, but hasn't got the extra spice when you want to "play"

Last edited by v40ckor; 22-07-2014 at 09:50 PM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
To me, more power is always better. Here we don't get the D4, unless you buy a CC, but you can polestar the D3 to a D4.
Yellowbelly likes this.

Current Car (in UAE):
2016 Volvo V40 T5 R-Design, Osmium Grey

Previous Car (in South Africa):
2013 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic, Ice White, sport pack, Nav, keyless entry, 18 inch Taranis, rear styling kit & mods
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-07-2014, 08:44 AM

I'm in the UK, recently ordered my V40. Looking at the stats before, I had decided on a D4, but they only had D2 and D3 to test drive. I tried them both, but decided on the D2 which was a touch cheaper, more economical, and smoother. As much as I'd like the extra power, I decided to think about things like tax, insurance, fuel consumption etc.

I'll have this for 3 or 4 years and then by then I'll probably upgrade to a D4!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Forget mpg, go for the driving pleasure, the d4 (old 5 pot) has plenty of torque and goes pretty well.

The d2 is ok for the commute but not a 'drivers' motor
Yellowbelly likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-07-2014, 09:19 AM

I have tested the D2 as a rental car for a couple of days, and I tested the (old) 5-pot D4 at the dealership before I ordered my new car. They didn´t have the new 4-pot D4 yet.

The D2 is fine. It works well for everyday use. You will adapt to it´s performance and plan overtaking manouvers accordingly.
But if you testdrive the D4, you will forget all about the D2. The torque is just amazing. It feels lika a V8! I tested the D4 with an auto ´box, and in my mind, it adds to the premium feel of the car.

I also believe that the real world fuel consumption for the D2 and the new D4 will be similar. That´s why I opted for the D4 with auto ´box in my new car.
jifen likes this.

2015 Volvo V40 Cross Country D4 Automatic
Ocean Race edition, Ocean blue II
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-07-2014, 09:23 AM

That makes sense. Coming from the car I have atm, even the D2 had enough power for me. I'm a master of planning all manoeuvres in my 50 HP car I have at the moment. My only worry with the new D4 was that I wouldn't get the car for a longer period, which would cause me issues as my current car is being retired before the MOT!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:12 PM

I had the same dilemma with my company car choice. I had to decide between an R Design D4 and R Design D2 Lux. I would ideally have liked a D4 Lux but the budget wouldn't stretch that far. My head said D2 Lux with 13% tax but my heart went for the D4 with 190bhp. No contest really....
jifen likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Arb

I cannot vote having driven the D2 it's a fine engine with enough performance for day to day use.
I went for a D4 as I commute to Germany or further 2 or 3 times a year so will have opportunity it's to stretch it's legs and enjoy/use the extra ponies. Otherwise I'd more than happily settle for a D2.
The deals on a standard D2 rdesign are hard to ignore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.