Tyre options? - Page 2 - Volvo V40 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 26-04-2016, 10:08 PM
sdp

Garage
Everyone has different experiences but I'd be tempted to get Goodyear Efficient Grip: 66db, B for fuel and A for wet grip which sounds very good for my tyre size (205x50 r17). The majority of my driving won't be pushing the limits, so for me the trade off on decent economy and low noise is worth maybe loosing a bit feeling.

Ours got serviced at 25k earlier in the week and the fronts are on 4mm (D2 SE-Lux). The originals are Bridgestones which seem good but noisey in my opinion. I also had Bridgestones on a previous car which were swapped for Hankook Vetus Prime2's which were significantly quieter and I think also gripped better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 26-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Garage
Our last car had Goodyear efficient grip and we found wet grip was very poor.
Our v40 cc now has Michelin primacy 3 and they are better all round that the Bridgestone t001 that were on the car better grip and quieter.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-04-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Arb

I've managed to hit 12k on my set of Continetal contisport contact 5's again, they are just over half way worn, much better than the first set which wore out at 12k, running reduced pressures has significantly reduce centre wear with no noticeable impact on mpg only improved handling comfort and road noise.
So unsure why Eco pressures are recommended?

Although there still is noticeable more wear to centre than edge perhaps this is due to make up of tyre and me booting it everywhere. I hope they will see out the summer in time for a fresh set in winter.
egb likes this.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-04-2016, 10:09 AM
egb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arb View Post
I've managed to hit 12k on my set of Continetal contisport contact 5's again, they are just over half way worn, much better than the first set which wore out at 12k, running reduced pressures has significantly reduce centre wear with no noticeable impact on mpg only improved handling comfort and road noise.
So unsure why Eco pressures are recommended?

Although there still is noticeable more wear to centre than edge perhaps this is due to make up of tyre and me booting it everywhere. I hope they will see out the summer in time for a fresh set in winter.
Great review and conviction in going for the same tyre as we did with the car following a bad first experience, I believed from early on that the eco pressures were causing premature centre tyre ware and adjusted them down.

Sort of confirms IMO that eco tyre pressures are a complete farce designed to make you feel darn uncomfortable in body but happy in mind, even though in comparison you are way out of pocket, I think the Continentals are just a softer rubber than say Michelin and you decide just which is best for your own type of drive.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |

Last edited by egb; 27-04-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Garage
We ran normal pressures for the first few weeks on the Bridgestone tyres and found the car was nervous on the brakes it squirmed alot put it up to eco pressures and it was much better and have run eco pressures since the Bridgestone tyres went bald on the inside edge no excessive center wear at all, is this just that the CC has a higher profile and handles the eco pressures better also it runs different suspension so that maybe why I had the edge wear.
The wet grip from the Michelin primacy 3 is unbelievable compared with the Bridgestone T001 going round a roundabout in the wet I can now boot it aim at the exit and it just goes where I point it no horrible understeer that we had before, as I have said in other posts we use a lot of forest tracks and they also are better in the mud as well so very happy with them.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-04-2016, 11:53 AM

My conti's fitted from new ran our at 11k. Lease co was not happy and suggested I had been misusing the tyres! Kwik fit told them they were a soft compound and on a D4 with 400nm of torque was to be expected. They fitted Goodyear Eagle F1's which are hard as nails and have rubbish grip. In the wet I'd go as far as saying they are dangerous. Probably more so because I'd been used to the grip levels of the Conti's, the difference was immense. The traction control is constantly on in the wet and I've had abs cut in maybe 3 or 4 times when forced to brake heavy even at low speed on grippy surfaces.

They have hardly worn at all after 7k since fitting. I considered swapping them to the rear but didn't like the idea of the back snapping away so actually they are probably better on the fronts in my opinion

If I wasn't handing the car back soon I'd be really annoyed. If I was to buy tyres again I'd have conti's all the way. They maybe softer, and therefore require more frequent changing, but that's a small price to pay for good grip and peace of mind.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:06 AM

Just changed my 2 original front contis at 30K. Cant see any reason to change,

Euphonium players do it on 4 valves
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM

Had Avon ZV5 on the front and Pirelli Cinturaro P7 on the rear and just got them all swapped out for Continental Sport Contact 5's. No idea how long they'll last but already there is lots more grip and they seem much more stable. A little less road noise but nothing significant and I could be imagining it. Worthwhile change so far!
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2016, 07:28 PM

My car came with the Pirelli P Zero Nero's and I hate them. My previous car came with them too. Noisey, poor fuel economy and didn't grip that well in the wet either. I put some Hankook and then Goodyear tyres on the old car which were a marked improvement so when the pirellis are worn out (which probably won't be long) I won't be getting them again!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 06:38 PM

I was driving my D2 along some minor roads in the Peak District this morning and was surprised I was cornering & braking as normal even though the road surface looked icy after a frosty night. When I stopped to take a photo I realised that the road was as icy as it looked. I have fairly new Michelin Cross Climates - no idea how well they will last, but they clearly do the business on a slippery surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.