Tyre options? - Page 3 - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMT5 View Post
My car came with the Pirelli P Zero Nero's and I hate them. My previous car came with them too. Noisey, poor fuel economy and didn't grip that well in the wet either. I put some Hankook and then Goodyear tyres on the old car which were a marked improvement so when the pirellis are worn out (which probably won't be long) I won't be getting them again!

FINALLY replaced the two Pirellis on the front with a pair of Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 205/50/17's this morning (to match the pair at the rear). What a drop in road noise! 70-75 on the Motorway was much quieter than before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
I was driving my D2 along some minor roads in the Peak District this morning and was surprised I was cornering & braking as normal even though the road surface looked icy after a frosty night. When I stopped to take a photo I realised that the road was as icy as it looked. I have fairly new Michelin Cross Climates - no idea how well they will last, but they clearly do the business on a slippery surface.
Likewise we have the Cross Climates on our D2 CC (225/50 R17) and been very impressed with them in all conditions but particularly cold and wet.

Didn't rate/have confidence in the factory Bridgestone T001's and got rid of them within months of getting the car; sold them on e-bay.

Not sure how well there wearing, although I have a feeling our V40 is heavy on the tyres despite a fairly sedate driving style; car has both a spare wheel and tow bar, plus the driver support pack, so she's carrying a bit more weight over a standard car.

Ed875

Volvo V40 Cross Country SE Nav D2 115PS (2015, MY15)
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-01-2017, 12:51 AM

Does anyone have recommendations for winter tyres? I've got 235/35/19's on and I wasn't sure if I had to stick to the exact size. Thought about getting a bigger profile tyre or something? What winter tyres have people got on?

Thanks.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-01-2017, 08:56 AM

I think it comes down to the size of the discs... I've D2 with 17" alloys and have 16" steels with winter tyres (which are not on the car at the moment! #facepalm)
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have recommendations for winter tyres? I've got 235/35/19's on and I wasn't sure if I had to stick to the exact size. Thought about getting a bigger profile tyre or something? What winter tyres have people got on?
It depends - are you looking to put them on the 19" wheels or get another set of wheels just for the winter tyres?
For the 19" wheels I doubt you will get a higher profile tyres on there without it rubbing on the front arches (the larger circumference would also knock out the speedo, ESP and Park Pilot, which all use algorithms configured to the size of the wheels). There are 235/35R19 winter tyres available available but they aren't cheap, and being wide and low profile probably aren't the best solution if it comes to deep snow.

In markets where a separate set of winter wheels is used they are normally a couple of inches smaller and narrower. I assume from your name you have a T5 so you will have the largest spec front brakes (320mm discs) so the smallest rims you can fit will be 17". Volvo don't make 17" steel wheels so you would need to use a set of the 7J or 7.5J x 17 alloys from a lower-spec V40 and something like 225/45 tyres on them.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks.
Here in Swizzieland two sets of tyres are common (it's not obligatory, but if you have an accident in winter on summer tyres, the insurance company and the local constabulary can be expected to be somewhat less than understanding). Mine are both 225/50 R17. I could have got 16" steel wheels for the winter tyres, but the local dealer had a special on winters on 17" alloys that was only CHF200 dearer than the steel wheels. I believe the winter tyres on the 16" are indeed higher profile giving the same diameter, otherwise I guess the speedo wouldneed some sort of recalibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.