Tyre options? - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Arb

Tyre options?

I need to replace my tyres, the continental contisport contact 5's lasted me 12k miles partly due to running to high pressures which has worn them badly in the middle.

Just wondering if anyone has an alternative choice or feed back, the contisports seem highly regarded so may go for the same.

17" rims 225
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:59 PM

I used to always fit verdesteins. Really good tyre, have pirelli's fitted to the v40 as thats what it came with. Done about 12k on them due to using a winter set of wheels still have another couple of thousand miles left in them.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 AM
egb

For me if I could pick on our motability lease, it would be Michelin lucky to have them fitted to the r v40 we have now 3000mls and not much sign of wear the cc v40 had continental and at 4000mls when it went back the fronts showed more wear than they should have, getting on for one third worn in the centres as you say. Trouble is tyres are like fuel every one has a different take on them.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |

Last edited by egb; 03-08-2015 at 10:51 AM.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Sounds like high wear rates :/

Previous car (Golf Mk6) owned from new, sold on 90k - only replaced two front tyres at 65k miles... rears still had loads of tread left...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Garage
Can't go past Michelin Pilot Sport 3's Arb...
50k kms out of them on my Focus & I wasn't taking it easy on them by any means.
Could have probably squeezed a bit more than that out of them too but I was preparing the Focus for a quick sale & got a good deal on them for buying 4 so grabbed it.
Of course, as is often the case in life, I could have saved my money as the Focus ended up as the V40 trade so the new tyres ended up as a bonus for my dealer & not something a private buyer could have beaten me up on price for...

My kingdom for a crystal ball!!!
Actually... scratch that...
If I had one I'd likely be in gaol or dead as there is just no way I could stay away from the loud pedal of the 488 GTB I'd buy with the winning lotto numbers

MY 2015 Black Sapphire T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar. Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Garage
Yeah the Michelin Pilot Sports were standard on my C30 T5R and lasted 61k kms. Insane. And they weren't bald yet, just had a flat so decided to change them all.

I couldn't get the same tyre here (Michelin don't import them in Australia), so I went for the Pirelli P-Zero Nero. These felt like they had pretty much the same amount of grip, but in the wet they were much better. My Pilots would slip for half a second in the wet off the lights if I flattened it. The Pirellis would slip for a millisecond and then the traction would kick in. Very highly recommended. The only think I'm unsure about is wear because I sold the car with 69k kms (so only did 8k on them). But they appeared near new at 8k.

MY15 V40 T5 R-Design Ice White, Polestar, Heated Seats. Audio upgrade and window tint TBC.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 AM

My D2 was in for its second service today, and was fitted with Pirellis from new. Still have 4mm on the front and 5mm on the rear. Pretty happy with this as I expected 15000 miles for a front pair- now on 16500 and only used 3mm.Never used Eco pressures though.

2 years old now and no issues yet, and great service again from Barnetts of Dundee. They had a few new V40's in the showroom and noticed a few differences- one that disappointed me most was the new cheap looking wheelnuts...

V40 D2 R-Design.Passion Red.Winter Pack, Rain sensor wipers, Rear park assist, grocery floor, Tempa spare,cruise control,3 years servicing.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arb View Post
I need to replace my tyres, the continental contisport contact 5's lasted me 12k miles partly due to running to high pressures which has worn them badly in the middle.

Just wondering if anyone has an alternative choice or feed back, the contisports seem highly regarded so may go for the same.

17" rims 225
I've just had the same happen to my D4, only done 12.5k on the original conti's. I've always ran them on eco pressure, won't do that again. Will sacrifice some mpg for tyre wear.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-04-2016, 08:59 PM

had to replace my factory fronts at 28.000 miles.
Personal record in a dead-slow lazy Renault Nevada (80 HP.....) 100.000 miles on the original set of Michelin energy's... And that was a lease car. It simply did not wear the tires at all.

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Garage
23,000miles on my D4, would expect another 10,000 from the fronts & 20,000 from the rears.
Original fit Pirelli Cinturatos. Not sure on the pressures.

V40 D4 R Design Nav Auto White + all the toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.