V40 SE D2 spare wheel - Page 3 - Volvo V40 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 PM

Hi guys
Just to revive this topic.
I have a V40 with the 1.6 D2 engine so the deeper spare wheel well. Iam not a fan of the foam stuff and would like to get a space saver to fit in the well.
What are my options? Will a space saver from the earlier V40 / S40 fit or not? Or is there another manufacturer with same offset that will fit?

I don't want to go to Volvo as they will charge the earth for something which will hopefully never be needed. Iam not concerned if it's an older tatty wheel as a lick of paint is no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 PM

Forgot to mention. It has the 16 inch matres alloys fitted
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingfan View Post
Hi guys
Just to revive this topic.
I have a V40 with the 1.6 D2 engine so the deeper spare wheel well. Iam not a fan of the foam stuff and would like to get a space saver to fit in the well.
What are my options? Will a space saver from the earlier V40 / S40 fit or not? Or is there another manufacturer with same offset that will fit?

I don't want to go to Volvo as they will charge the earth for something which will hopefully never be needed. Iam not concerned if it's an older tatty wheel as a lick of paint is no big deal.
Unfortunately not. The V40's Tempa spare is unique to the car to allow it to fit in the spare wheel well, and it's the offset that makes it unique. No other Volvo or car that shares the same PCD (5x108 - Ford C and EUCD platforms) has a spare wheel with the same offset as the V40s (the centre of the V40's spare is level with the rim, all the other spares have centres that stick out an inch or so).

The 125/85 R16 spare from a previous model C30/S40/V40 will fit on the car, but it won't fit under the carpet/boot floor in the spare wheel well. You would wither have to buy the Flexible Load Floor and lose 4" of depth in the boot, or get some rigid polystyrene foam to lift the carpet up an inch or so to allow it to fit.

However, looking at VolvoPArtShop's current prices, the V40 spare has dropped dramatically - it used to be nearly £300, but it's only £133 now:
http://www.volvopartshop.com/space-s...29-10671-p.asp
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM

I (annoyingly) still have an eBay alert set up for v40 space saver - and get one every other day... so there's quite a few out there. I got mine there - with jack/wheelbrwce and foam insert etc.. for less than £100 iirc.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzby View Post
Unfortunately not. The V40's Tempa spare is unique to the car to allow it to fit in the spare wheel well, and it's the offset that makes it unique. No other Volvo or car that shares the same PCD (5x108 - Ford C and EUCD platforms) has a spare wheel with the same offset as the V40s (the centre of the V40's spare is level with the rim, all the other spares have centres that stick out an inch or so).

The 125/85 R16 spare from a previous model C30/S40/V40 will fit on the car, but it won't fit under the carpet/boot floor in the spare wheel well. You would wither have to buy the Flexible Load Floor and lose 4" of depth in the boot, or get some rigid polystyrene foam to lift the carpet up an inch or so to allow it to fit.

However, looking at VolvoPArtShop's current prices, the V40 spare has dropped dramatically - it used to be nearly £300, but it's only £133 now:
Thanks for the info Buzby. £142 delivered is'nt too bad and from what you've said, a big saving on previous prices.
This seems the easier option rather than messing with foam to make the earlier space saver fit.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motmot View Post
I (annoyingly) still have an eBay alert set up for v40 space saver - and get one every other day... so there's quite a few out there. I got mine there - with jack/wheelbrwce and foam insert etc.. for less than £100 iirc.
What do I need to search for on eBay to make sure I don't get alerts for the space saver for the previous V40 / S40 wheels mate?
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:29 PM

I use 'volvo v40 space saver 2012' there will be some wrong ones there but it sorts out most of the crap.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by motmot View Post
I use 'volvo v40 space saver 2012' there will be some wrong ones there but it sorts out most of the crap.
Thanks
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 15-10-2016, 07:26 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzby View Post

I've bought this and all fitted. £140ish inc P&P. Pleased with that price considering the price was nearer £300 a few months back.
Perfect fit under the boot mat as expected and peace of mind that I'm not relying on a can of gunk which will probably ruin the tyre.

Thanks to Buzby for the advice and the heads up on the cheaper pricing.
Brigstowe and buzby like this.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 15-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Also just a quick question.......
What is the small plastic funnel thing in the wheel kit for?
I hope it's nothing too obvious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.