V40 SE D2 spare wheel - Volvo V40 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

V40 SE D2 spare wheel

Hi

My car has not got a spare wheel, only the can gloop.

I've read online that even the OEM Volvo Tempa spare (115/90/ R16) still makes the boot floor raise slightly. Is this the case?

Thanks for your help.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Garage
Hmmm... One of the biggest crimes of the modern car industry in my opinion
It will depend on what boot floor you have... My floor sits flat with the tempa spare but that's with the folding dual level floor fitted.
Which floor do you have? Solid or folding?
I suspect if it's solid the tempa spare would be an issue.
Buzby will know I'm sure... There are way too many model variations for me to keep track of in the UK/Europe.

MY 2015 Black Sapphire T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar. Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 12:45 PM

As Latestarter says, it's complicated.

There are 2 versions of the boot floor metal pressing, and which your car has usually depends on what engine/model combination your car has. If your car has the 1.6 D2 engine and has a single or non-visible exhaust pipe (so an ES or SE) then it should have the 'deep' boot floor pressing that has a spare wheel well pressed into it.

If you have a D2 engine and the twin exhaust pipes (so an R Design or Cross Country), or any of the other engines in any model then it should have the 'shallow' boot floor pressing which is almost flat, as the exhaust silencer sits across the car under the boot floor where the spare wheel well would be. In this case, there is no room for a spare wheel under the standard floor carpet, so you have to replace the carpet with the Variable Load Floor accessory. This lifts the floor up by about 4 inches, which gives enough space to store the 115/90/R16 Tempa spare (which is specific to the V40)

As Latestarter says, there seems to be a lot of oddities regarding how the cars are put together so you are best having a look to see which floor pressing your car was built with.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I think I have the solid boot floor? I have attached a picture that looks the same as mine.

I tried a 115/80/ r16 space saver from a Vauxhall Astra and it did raise the height of the floor where it sat on the wheel

If I was to buy the 2 level folding floor, would a standard full size spare wheel fit under it without raising the upper boot floor?

The car is 1.6 D2 SE single exhaust.

Thank you for taking the time to reply
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -mat-raddc158_2014_6_27_large.jpg (95.4 KB, 54 views)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHV40 View Post
I think I have the solid boot floor? I have attached a picture that looks the same as mine.

I tried a 115/80/ r16 space saver from a Vauxhall Astra and it did raise the height of the floor where it sat on the wheel

If I was to buy the 2 level folding floor, would a standard full size spare wheel fit under it without raising the upper boot floor?

The car is 1.6 D2 SE single exhaust.

Thank you for taking the time to reply
It's the metalwork under the carpet that counts - you need to take a picture with the carpet and foam insert that holds the compressor/gloop taken out. In theory as yours is a 1.6 D2 SE it should have the 'deep' boot floor pressing, but you can't say for certain without seeing it

Did the Astra spare you tried look like this?

Although the tyre is the same width as the V40 spare, the rim is very different. The centre of the Astra rim is offset outwards further than the V40's, so the overall depth of the Astra wheel is thicker than the V40's. The V40 has a specially-designed rim due to the lack of depth even with the 'deep' boot floor pressing.

As to whether a full-size spare (I'm guessing you mean the 16"x6.5J steel ones that are sold on ebay) will fit if you have the Variable Load Floor fitted, if you have the 'shallow' boot floor pressing it won't fit, as it only just raises the floor level enough to fit the Tempa spare under it. If you have the 'deep' boot floor pressing it will probably be marginal as to whether it fits or not - you would need to try it (which I appreciate is difficult without buying anything first).
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Yes the wheel looked like that. That's interesting about the rim offset. I don't suppose you happen to know if the Ford Focus space saver is more similar to the Astra or Volvo one? Something like the one below. Apologies if ebay links arent allowed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3607331078...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will get a picture with the carpet lifted when i get home later.

V40 1.6 D2 SE Nav
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Just took a picture with the carpet out.

The depth is roughly 12cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0571.JPG (131.3 KB, 59 views)

V40 1.6 D2 SE Nav
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHV40 View Post
Just took a picture with the carpet out.

The depth is roughly 12cm
That's the 'deep' boot floor pressing with the spare wheel well (which is what a 1.6 D2 with a single exhaust should have). For reference, here's the 'shallow' boot floor in my 1.6 D2 R Design:

It slopes downwards from nothing at the front to about 3" deep at the back. With the plastic frame that makes it just deep enough to get the polystyrene puncture repair kit holder in at the back.

As your spare wheel well is 12cm deep, that's just deep enough to get the 115mm V40 spacesaver under there. The Tempa spare used on the older S40/V40/V50/C30 is a 125/85 R16, which is just a shade too high to fit in there by all accounts. The tyre sidewall is roughly the same height though (103mm is 90% 115mm and 106 is 85% of 125mm).

That Focus one you linked to is also a 125mm tyre, but the tyre is a 90 profile so overall diameter will also be larger (90% of 125mm is 113mm, so the diameter will about 20mm bigger than the V40's wheel). which may be a bit too tight to fit in the wheel well. Here is the V40's Tempa spare in place to see how it fits:

The Variable Load Floor takes the floor level up to the top of the carpet 'beam' at the bottom of the rear seat backs, so if you add the 12cm of your spare wheel well onto that you should be able to work out what the maximum wheel width is you could fit in there.

Last edited by buzby; 01-02-2016 at 08:20 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Have just looked at your pics and been out to look at the wheel well. The volvo space saver is 613mm diameter, the ford focus (05-11) (125/85 R16) is 618mm.

I don't think the focus one will fit as its to wide to fit under the plastic trim and the bottom end of the boot. Your pic shows the volvo one has to slide under this trim to fit.

The cheapest I can find a Volvo space saver is £291 which is expensive!

V40 1.6 D2 SE Nav
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:07 PM

Yes, the wheel well and the wheel have been designed for each other to get a spare wheel in there while losing the least amount of boot space possible.

Unfortunately they are very expensive (it's far more cost effective to spec it as an option when buying a new car than to add one later). Part of this of course is because the rim is unique to the V40. They do come up on ebay very occasionally, but they don't stay up for long as they are a very sought after item.

Last edited by buzby; 01-02-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.