Noise when barking (low speeds) - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Noise when barking (low speeds)

Hi all, when I brake at very slow speeds (say, when parking slowly or when approaching a speed bump) I sometimes get a noise that comes from the front. Not sure if a noise coming from the brakes or the suspensión. This will happen both when going straight or with the wheel turned. Haven´t heard it when braking at speed.

Has anybody had this issue? Would it have to do with break-in from some of the parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielfre View Post
Hi all, when I brake at very slow speeds (say, when parking slowly or when approaching a speed bump) I sometimes get a noise that comes from the front. Not sure if a noise coming from the brakes or the suspensión. This will happen both when going straight or with the wheel turned. Haven´t heard it when braking at speed.

Has anybody had this issue? Would it have to do with break-in from some of the parts?
you don't mention the type of noise? Grinding? Clunking ?

Grinding can sometimes be caused by dirt between the pad and the disc (hard material like a bit of metal). Check on your discs for any lines forming, that will be a give-away.

Clunking could be more serious. If you drive at a constant speed and lightly touch the pedal do you hear it ? Does it happen every time or only sometimes? If it's every time could be a loose caliper (I've not examined the V40 brakes so not sure exactly what to tell you to look for) / the housing of the assembly could be loose / loose bolt somewhere.

If it's really concerning, take it back to the dealer, let them take a look. You don't mention the age of your vehicle but I am guessing it's fairly new. It is probably under warranty and most dealers would happily let a mechanic take 5 minutes to listen to a potential safety issue without charging you.

MY2014 V40 D2 R-Design Powershift , Ice White , Xenium Pack , Winter Pack + Rain sensor wipers , Cruise Control , Heated Rear Seats. *
On Order : V60 D5 Twin Engine Ice White , PCC , F+R Park Assist, Rear Camera , Active TFT , Heated Rear Seats , Power Driver's Seat ..At dealer being prepped! *
Wife's Car : MY2015 V40 Cross Country D3 NAV (150 bhp 5pot + Polestar upgrade now 177bhp) Geartronic , Osmium Grey , , Driver's support pack , Rear Park Assist , Active TFT.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer.

Hard to describe the noise. I guess the best way to describe it, would be like a humming noise. Does not happen every time, and when it happens, it´s when I lightly touch the brake pedal but only at slow speeds (or at least haven´t heard it at higher speeds maybe due to road noise). It is a new car, only 730 kilometers on it. I guess safest thing would be to get the dealer look at it, but wanted to check if anyone else has encountered that issue.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Take it to the dealer, may be something to do with the servo ABS etc. it does not sound mechanical anyway (which would be easier to solve)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 07:57 PM
nry

Ahh, at first I thought maybe you had a dog in the boot
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

hehehe, just realized I typed "barking" instead of "braking" .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-08-2013, 10:25 PM

Woof woof!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
hehe

Current Car (in UAE):
2016 Volvo V40 T5 R-Design, Osmium Grey

Previous Car (in South Africa):
2013 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic, Ice White, sport pack, Nav, keyless entry, 18 inch Taranis, rear styling kit & mods
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-06-2014, 07:29 AM

I have the same problem, particularly in reverse parking. Very low pitched noise at very low speed. It's been to Volvo workshop five times already and it seems that they take apart the callipers, regrease them and a day or two later the same noise re-appears. I'm now at my wits end and its seems that Volvo technicians are also clueless as to what's causing this problem. Ironically, my brakes had to be replaced at 30000KM at the car was hardly a year old (brand new). Initially when I bought the car, there was noise when braking but more a high pitched dust noise (or that's what we thought).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Does it feel ruff ?
Jimbo5556 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.