Scuffed 18" Ixion II - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By buzby

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Scuffed 18" Ixion II

Hi guys,

Today I had an unfortunate accident with a two-corner curb and I scuffed my rim. Is there anything I can do to minimize it? As soon as it gets dirty it will become black and very visible.

Could I sand it down? Do Volvo dealers repair them?

Thanks

Magic Blue D3 R-Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Garage
I did the same to a previous car twice, and they also had the diamond cut alloy.

On the first occasion I had the rim repaired professionally (fantastic job), the second time I decided to give it a go myself as it wasnt as bad as the first time, I used a Dremel with a fine sanding stone to take away the worst, then used very fine wet & dry sanding paper to get a smooth finish, a bit of patience is needed whilst sanding away, but you'll be surprised how quick an alloy rim can sands away, after the sanding I used a metal cutting/cleaning polish just to buff up a nice clean finish, then some Autoglym SRP and a wax on top to finish off.

3 years on and the rim never blistered or discoloured, but I did every now and then touch up the repair with a bit of wax just to keep it protected.

The final finish wasn't bad at all, in fact you would of needed a very critical eye to notice it, and I'd say looking at your damage it was very similar starting off.

If cant I recall what the professional repair cost, but it wasnt cheap.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jactac View Post
I did the same to a previous car twice, and they also had the diamond cut alloy.

On the first occasion I had the rim repaired professionally (fantastic job), the second time I decided to give it a go myself as it wasnt as bad as the first time, I used a Dremel with a fine sanding stone to take away the worst, then used very fine wet & dry sanding paper to get a smooth finish, a bit of patience is needed whilst sanding away, but you'll be surprised how quick an alloy rim can sands away, after the sanding I used a metal cutting/cleaning polish just to buff up a nice clean finish, then some Autoglym SRP and a wax on top to finish off.

3 years on and the rim never blistered or discoloured, but I did every now and then touch up the repair with a bit of wax just to keep it protected.

The final finish wasn't bad at all, in fact you would of needed a very critical eye to notice it, and I'd say looking at your damage it was very similar starting off.

If cant I recall what the professional repair cost, but it wasnt cheap.
Did you need to put clear coat/lacquer on the wheel or do diamond cuts not have it? Or does the wax achieve the same thing?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Garage
I did the same a while ago and think I posted in a thread about it. I sanded it down with some wet and dry at various grades then polished and lacquered. Seems to be holding up well and can really only be seen up close!

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby606 View Post
Did you need to put clear coat/lacquer on the wheel or do diamond cuts not have it? Or does the wax achieve the same thing?
I just applied a good wax every few months over the repair.
I didn't fancy trying to apply lacquer as I felt any over spray that landed on the existing lacquer beyond the repair might start to blister, and I would end up having to sand more of the rim down to apply lacquer to all the surface.

It was a bit of a trial job to see if I could make good the damage without turning it into a big job, and it seemed to work, as I said 3 years on and no sign of pitting/blistering ect.

When I sold the car the guy that bought it traveled over 400 miles to view it, and spent an hour going all over the car, but did notice the repair.

But as Dave says you could use lacquer.

As for diamond cuts, this is done on a lathe which was done by the professional repairer when I first damaged the other alloy, the second repair (done by myself) was just done by using what I've posted above.

Why not just give it a go and if your not happy with the results then take it to be repaired professionally.

My tip would be NOT to get carried away with the sanding down, and try not to go too far outside the damage, also dont sand too deep, just try to feather it in to a smooth finish using very fine wet & dry.

I think perhaps the two scratches on the spoke will be harder to hide than the more damaged bit on the rim because its a larger flatter surface on the spoke .

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights

Last edited by jactac; 21-04-2016 at 07:39 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 11:31 PM

The diamond cut wheels currently used by Volvo are clearcoated - I think it's actually a clear powdercoat as it's quite thick. I've had a stone hit right on the edge between the grey and cut edge, it hasn't chipped but the seal has been compromised so it's started to corrode beneath the clearcoat. It's still quite small at the moment (only about 5mm long) but I've used the clear laquer from a touch-up pen kit just to seal it to try and stop it getting worse.
jactac likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 25-04-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will look into buying some lacquer, hopefully that will help. Although the scuff falls into the acceptable damage for my company, so I think won't get charged for it. Anyhow I would like to minimize it for the looks.

Sent from my LG-F460S using Tapatalk

Magic Blue D3 R-Design
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to T5Polestar
Rimblades

This is what I did to avoid pavement rash on my Nissan 370Z.

The product is called Rimblades and is available in many colours. It's an easy DIY job and have had them on my Z for about 2 years now.
Should you have a slight brush with a pavement, the Rimblade is damaged and replaced. So is is not only for aesthetics but serves a useful purpose.
Check out Rimblages on Google. They are made in the UK.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0108.jpg (120.9 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.