Winter tyres or all season? - Volvo V40 Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wizzy
  • 1 Post By tones

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Winter tyres or all season?

I have been thinking about getting some winter wheels and tyres for my cross country D2 Lux which is on 225/50/17 tyres. I have these already for my older Polo. However it appears that since I went for these 5 years ago all season tyres have appeared that are reported to be a reasonable compromise giving most of the winter performance without sacrificing too much in normal conditions to summer tyres. This would avoid the problem of having and storing the extra set and buying more rims. The tyres cost doesn't really change as you just wear out 2 sets over twice the time that a single set goes.

Anybody else have any views and experiences? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:29 PM

I was lucky enough to be offered winter tyres and wheels for my first V40 by my dealer. When I got my new V40 I kept the winter wheels. As the dealer stores them for me, and changes them over for free, I think I am on a good deal.
I have no experience of all season tyres, but there must be a compromise. The winter tyres do cope with the colder wet weather better.
Brigstowe likes this.

D3 SE Lux Caspian Blue 2012 - 2015
T3 SE Lux Nav Flamenco Red 2015 -
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Garage
It depends on how wintry is your winter, I guess. Here in Swizzieland, winter tyres are not obligatory (they are in parts of Germany), but if you have an accident on summer tyres in winter, expect both the constabulary and the insurance companies to be somewhat less than understanding.

All-season tyres are undoubtedly a compromise, but I'd imagine that in mild winter conditions, they are a compromise with which most people could comfortably live. They will wear quicker in summer and are usually noisier (because of the tread pattern), and they won't grip as well in summer conditions as a summer tyre, ditto winter, but, providing that you don't drive like a lunatic, the differences will be slight and probably barely noticeable.
chiptivo likes this.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Garage
UK Tyres are pretty much universal.
We don't have a proper winter here, just the occasional snow flurry where most of the UK then drive at a crawl anyway.

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.