Rear brakes dragging, warranty claim? - Volvo V40 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Rear brakes dragging, warranty claim?

If I use the handbrake when stationary after some driving through rush hour traffic, the brakes seem to be dragging when moving off, resistance combined with a groaning noise. Could this just be a handbrake cable in need of tightening or more to do with the brakes being hot? Would this be seen as a wear and tear issue therefore not eligible for warranty repair? Don't particularly want to get stung via the whole replace the discs and pads routine.

R Design
D2 (MY15) sport suspension / winter
pack / rain sensing wipers / cruise control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Could be the hill hold?, i know it sounds strange but my seat does the same thing sometimes on flat road and inclines were i dont take the revs high enough when i set off and i can hear the brakes still holding the car
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Garage
I am also going for the hill start "feature"..

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 10:33 PM

Hill Start Assist does make that noise, but only operates on a reasonable incline. If it'son the flat, then it could be that the discs are hot (not very likely in this weather) or one or both of the calipers might be sticking.

The handbrake is automatically adjusted by sprung ratchet pistons inside the hydraulic pistons on the rear calipers - as the pads wear the adjusters gradually click outwards along the ratchet when the handbrake is applied to keep the distance between the disc and pad constant. The adjuster on the handbrake (on top of the mechanism onside the centre console) is only used to remove slack from the cable/reduce the pull height of the lever as the cable stretches over time. I can't imagine that would cause the rear calipers to drag unless it's been adjusted recently and overtightened (you would know this as the lever wouldn't come up very far).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 18-11-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

After that very useful information I reckon it's either the calipers sticking or some kind of conflict between the handbrake and hillstart as I understand this is only activated by the foot brake, perhaps when I use the handbrake it still activates to some extent due to coming to a stand with the footbrake, even on a very slight incline. Very disconcerning sometimes how much effort/revs required to move away.

I have used the footbrake only for today's journey home through an hour of London standstill traffic and no issues other than squeaking due to heat from the front pads.

R Design
D2 (MY15) sport suspension / winter
pack / rain sensing wipers / cruise control
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-11-2016, 04:43 PM

Garage
I get a hollow sort of sound when I reverse slowly and then apply the breaks, I put it down to break dust, but its still the same even after washing out the calipers and pads with brake cleaner.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.