Drawbacks and benefits of having the Tempa spare wheel option - Volvo V40 Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sdp
  • 2 Post By Lingfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Drawbacks and benefits of having the Tempa spare wheel option

Well after 4 months of fairly quiet ownership today I experienced my first puncture in the v40

Luckily I waited and found myself a v40 with the Tempa spare wheel option and not the horrible glue compressor kit

However having just changed my first wheel I can report that it can be an absolute pig of a job.

Firstly as the car is an R design with the side skirts it makes it incredibly awkward to get the jack under the car once the wheel is flat, also as the jack has to be lowered to basically fully flat, if your unlucky enough to be parked tight to a kerb when the wheel goes flat you cannot get the jack under the car without having to try and move the car away from the kerb, I did this but also managed to chip the lacquer on my wheel in two places whilst doing so....nice!!!!

Was also a nice surprise to see that the original alloy then basically takes up the entire boot space whilst shipping it down to the local tyre repair shop. meaning everything else you have in there has to find a place in the cabin instead! not great if you have passengers.

Overall I can report Im glad I have the spare wheel option but in the conditions and place I found myself in it is an absolute nighmare to get changed! just glad it wasn't raining.

So happy I bought the optional alloy wheel insurance now at time of purchase!

Otherwise happy days and a happy camper

2014 Volvo V40 D2 R Design Lux Nav - Rebel blue, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Rear Park assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Upgraded Sound Multimedia, TV, DVD, Xenons, Full leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-12-2016, 10:51 AM

TBH I had to use the glue/compressor kit once and to my big surprise it did an admirable job.
That (touch wood) was my first flat in more than 10 years of driving 30.000 miles per year and that was also the reason why I did not spec a spare wheel as an option.

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-12-2016, 11:46 AM
egb

with our lease it has rac breakdown which will bring a temp wheel fit it and direct you to nearest kwik fit so a repair or new tyre would be fitted, thankfully in the years we have had this its not had to be tried, as I'm sure I would land up with odd tyres a thing that I am not happy with following a visit to kwik fit for 2 new run flats, they mixed makes with the rears making the scirocco feel downright dangerous even after I had to adjust the tyre pressures of the new ones 5psi difference, trouble is we have to use them.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-12-2016, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee* View Post
Well after 4 months of fairly quiet ownership today I experienced my first puncture in the v40

Luckily I waited and found myself a v40 with the Tempa spare wheel option and not the horrible glue compressor kit

However having just changed my first wheel I can report that it can be an absolute pig of a job.

Firstly as the car is an R design with the side skirts it makes it incredibly awkward to get the jack under the car once the wheel is flat, also as the jack has to be lowered to basically fully flat, if your unlucky enough to be parked tight to a kerb when the wheel goes flat you cannot get the jack under the car without having to try and move the car away from the kerb, I did this but also managed to chip the lacquer on my wheel in two places whilst doing so....nice!!!!

Was also a nice surprise to see that the original alloy then basically takes up the entire boot space whilst shipping it down to the local tyre repair shop. meaning everything else you have in there has to find a place in the cabin instead! not great if you have passengers.

Overall I can report Im glad I have the spare wheel option but in the conditions and place I found myself in it is an absolute nighmare to get changed! just glad it wasn't raining.

So happy I bought the optional alloy wheel insurance now at time of purchase!

Otherwise happy days and a happy camper
Thanks for the detailed explanation of what problems can be encountered.
Will store these in the old grey matter, for future reference.
At least the Volvo alloy still fits in the boot, re the rear wheels on old 911's having to order a taxi to send it to the nearest Tyre shop.

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-12-2016, 07:36 AM

Garage
Had a rear puncture and the rac came out and put a temporary bung in which limits you to 40mph for 100miles maximum before you have it repaired. I wouldn't be fit enough to change a wheel so no point having a spare for me.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-12-2016, 01:41 PM
sdp

Garage
I thought (and I could well be wrong) that my alloys would fit under the flexible boot floor in our car (with the bottom boot floor just on top). However, this is with the narrower 17" alloys and a D2 with the full depth boot floor press so I guess for a lot of people this wouldn't work.

My last puncture was in this thing. Had huge amount of space inside with only two of us but still had the same issue as you trying to get the punctured tyre in the boot, it was huge, weighed a tonne and being studded was determined to take chunks out of you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7380.jpg (221.2 KB, 29 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Ha! They do have some big wheels in Iceland, don't they!

D2 SE Lux Biarritz Blue 2012 - 2015
T3 SE Lux Nav Geartronic Power Blue 2015 -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-12-2016, 05:51 PM
sdp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigstowe View Post
Ha! They do have some big wheels in Iceland, don't they!
yep. Our Land Cruiser looked pretty small against some of them!
Brigstowe likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-12-2016, 08:05 PM

I have the tempa spare. Never had to use it yet fortunately but feel happier than relying on the can of foam.
Brigstowe and feltorange like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart s View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation of what problems can be encountered.
Will store these in the old grey matter, for future reference.
At least the Volvo alloy still fits in the boot, re the rear wheels on old 911's having to order a taxi to send it to the nearest Tyre shop.
Sods law, 2 days after posting the above I get a blow out on the M1/A1 southbound.
Couldn't find the seam that fits into the jack top plate, too dark, no torch, bad eyesight, so rang the Volvo recovery to change the wheel.
I will put a dab of black paint on the sills, to locate the jacking points, for future reference

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.