Tyre wear - under 12000 miles! - Volvo V40 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tyre wear - under 12000 miles!

Just got my car back from its second service with 11500 miles on the clock and have been made aware my tyres are getting quite worn.

The depths are as follows:
N/S/F _3_/_3_/_2_ O/S/F _2_/_3_/_3_
N/S/R _2_/_4_/_3_ O/S/R _3_/_4_/_3_

I'm guessing they're the measurements across the tyre from outer to inner on the N/S and inner to outer on the O/S? (She did say the insides were 2mm on the N/S).

Now to me this in general seems like rather excessive tyre wear for a car that isn't driven very hard (or only very rarely), usually only carries one person with no load in the boot and is running on the comfort/lower (not eco) tyre pressures.

As stated above the car has yet to even reach 12000 miles so I won't even get 15000 miles out of a set of tyres (I usually like to have them replaced once they get down to around 3mm). Also there is generally 1mm difference in wear between either outer and inner or outer/inner. What difference in wear would be considered excessive and therefore indicate a problem with tracking/balancing?

The car is running Michelin Primacy 3 225/45 R17 91W on all four wheels.
The car (as in signature): V40 R Design, MY15 T4 1.6L (180) with Polestar (200).

Has anyone else (I recall some talk elsewhere?) experience short tyre lifespan/increased wear on their V40? Particularly this tyre? (Appreciate this may vary with use/engine size).

I notice that Michelin Primacy 3 are about the best out there for this car in terms of road noise (which I would like to minimise) or are there any others?

I'm thinking of emailing Volvo HQ about this as the dealership claim (service advisor) that they aren't aware of such an issue and I personally think this is a bit excessive (or is it?).

Apologies for long post.
Ta
Dave

Sent from my  iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 06:34 PM
egb

seems we have the same tyre do about the same gentle mileage just got to 10000 in a year and nine months but only have the d2 engine and run on comfort, have to say that the outer fronts show wear on the outside edge I would think they are about 4mm but tomorrow ill check with a depth gauge, the rears are not even half worn across the tread so they can be considered ok for the mileage, but yours seems to me to be wearing quicker than they should for your make of tyre.
IamDave likes this.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 07:25 PM

I manage to get 20.000 miles out of a set of fronts but thats it. Appointment made at tyre shop for tomorrow. It being a modified D4 it should chew through tyres even quicket than you t4 though. Might be age, I am 50 and tend to have a tad more control over my right foot than 20 years ago...
IamDave likes this.

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave View Post
Just got my car back from its second service with 11500 miles on the clock and have been made aware my tyres are getting quite worn.

The depths are as follows:
N/S/F _3_/_3_/_2_ O/S/F _2_/_3_/_3_
N/S/R _2_/_4_/_3_ O/S/R _3_/_4_/_3_
What tyre pressures are you running? I know you said you weren't using the Eco pressures, but those figures with more wear on both the inner and outer shoulders compared to the middle suggest to me that they may have been running under-inflated.

You have just inspired me to go and check mine and I've got 3.5mm consistently across the tread on the Bridgestone Turanza T001s my car left the factory with in 2013. They have done 29k so far and since I've had it (it had done 13k when I got it) I've always run Eco pressure.
IamDave likes this.

Last edited by buzby; 29-12-2016 at 08:10 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzby View Post
What tyre pressures are you running? I know you said you weren't using the Eco pressures, but those figures with more wear on both the inner and outer shoulders compared to the middle suggest to me that they may have been running under-inflated.

You have just inspired me to go and check mine and I've got 3.5mm consistently across the tread on the Bridgestone Turanza T001s my car left the factory with in 2013. They have done 29k so far and since I've had it (it had done 13k when I got it) I've always run Eco pressure.

Been running at 33psi all around (though admittedly there may have been a .5psi drop in a few or all of the tyres as I haven't checked them recently!). I mainly drop the pressures for comfort as it seems to improve ride quality a reasonable amount.

I did first wonder if tyre pressures have contributed to the seemingly quick and uneven wear. I can't see the tracking being knocked out already (had no massive impacts with potholes or kerbs recently!).

Sent from my  iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I did first wonder if tyre pressures have contributed to the seemingly quick and uneven wear. I can't see the tracking being knocked out already (had no massive impacts with potholes or kerbs recently!).
Yes, if it was a problem with the tracking you would expect it to wear on one edge or the other, not evenly on both:
IamDave likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-12-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll have to have a look with my tread depth gauge tomorrow to be sure what way around the depths are as listed above. If both front insides are 2mm then it must be an alignment issue? Otherwise I don't know!

How significant must the difference in wear on one tyre be to indicate an issue?

I'll get the depths myself tomorrow then might ring Volvo anyway. I understand the Michelin Primacy 3 is a soft compound so will wear quicker but to me they seem to have worn too quick. Perhaps it's just the way it is with this car and I'll have to stomach the cost of 4 new tyres but we'll see!!

Sent from my  iPhone

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 30-12-2016, 05:59 AM

Garage
We got 19k miles from the first set of fronts on our D2 2.0 CC. Got it back from its 2nd service 36k miles do was told front tyres are on 2.8mm and one rear on 2.2mm it's the only original tyre left. Took it to kwik-fit and they measured them at just under 4mm on the fronts and 3.5 on the back one. Seems the dealership have a habit of misleading customers on tyre depths kwik-fit said some dealers measure from the top of the wear indicator blocks to mislead people.
I don't personaly trust kwik-fit so have checked myself and probably between the two readings is the truth.
IamDave likes this.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 30-12-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tyre wear - under 12000 miles!

Decided to go and double check for myself on the back of what you've said.

They're generally 1mm or more above what they've measured them at. I did measure from the wear indicators in places to see if that's where they've done it from and that doesn't quite add up think they must've just decided to knock 1mm off here and there to get some more tyres out of me!!

Part of me wants to believe it was an honest mistake (or that I've not done the depths properly - even I can't mess that up!) but I highly doubt it is. What annoys me is that they'll probably try and Fleece me with brakes pads and discs when they're not needed as well.

Sent from my  iPhone

Last edited by IamDave; 30-12-2016 at 11:34 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 30-12-2016, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Decided to go and double check for myself on the back of what you've said.

They're generally 1mm or more above what they've measured them at. I did measure from the wear indicators in places to see if that's where they've done it from and that doesn't quite add up think they must've just decided to knock 1mm off here and there to get some more tyres out of me!!

Part of me wants to believe it was an honest mistake (or that I've not done the depths properly - even I can't mess that up!) but I highly doubt it is. What annoys me is that they'll probably try and Fleece me with brakes pads and discs when they're not needed as well.

Sent from my  iPhone
Changed my fronts at 26,000 miles. Similar wear pattern to yours Dave, all different, but none of great concern, but down to 2mm at the worst position.
Could not replicate exactly the garages tread depth sizes (digital gauge), against my measurements, (fixed scale gauge)
Put the new ones on to the rear, and swapped the rear ones onto the front.
Had a front blowout just before Christmas, so replaced the front pair, mileage at 34,000. Tread at worst 3mm left.
And there I am thinking the V40 chews up tyres!!
Must admit the last few mm of wear, from previous measurements taken, did not last long. Whether the compound changes as the tyres wear I am not sure.
Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/45 17 91W from new, and the same fitted as replacements.
Only gripe is excessive Road noise.
IamDave likes this.

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys

Last edited by stuart s; 30-12-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Typing error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.