Excessive road noise - Volvo V40 Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 18-02-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Excessive road noise

Ok - so Volvo UK are not interested in the fact that I have excessive road noise and have recorded over 80 dBA in the car.
As I cannot afford a change in vehicle (which i considered) I will go it alone with some DIY soundproofing and am looking for some help. I plan to start with the wheel arches and any then bare metal in the boot. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
OldCroc

V40 D2 ES Powershift, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 18-02-2014, 10:13 PM

This is a problem. I currently have Michelin Pilots that seem to be known for high road noise but fantastic grip.

These have been recommended - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Anyone know/used them?

R Design D2. Titanium grey. 18" Ixion alloys. Rear privacy glass. Cruise control. Rear park assist.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-02-2014, 12:44 AM

I did post something similar a few months ago under the heading of "which manufacturer" and because I was interested in which tyres worked/did not.

@OldCroc...which tyres are on your car? Mine has Pirelli P7 Cinturato and are probably good for 45,000 miles on the front, good grip in the wet, fairly quiet...which is all positive as I'm not a huge fan of Pirelli. If this post continues, perhaps the answer may come out as to which tyre manufacturer is the best for road noise?

Darren...D2 R-Design Lux Nav, Rebel Blue, Winter Pack , Premium Audio, DAB, Rear Tints, Auto Dimming, Love it!
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Before you go throwing loads of cash at new tyres and heaps of Dynamat, have you checked your tyre pressures?

I've been tyring to eek a bit more mpg from my D4 so pumped the tyres up to "Eco pressure". When I finish up the current tank of fuel I'll be putting them back down to fuel gobbling pressure as the ride is now mega harsh and the road noise is much worse than it was before I pumped them up.

Same goes for the mrs Lotus - 2psi makes all the difference between a twitchy, harsh and noisy ride and a gloriously poised sports car.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCroc View Post
.......... Volvo UK are not interested in the fact that I have excessive road noise ..........
What size tyres have you got ~ width, profile and diameter? Standard or optional? Large diameter wheels with low profile tyres will tend to create more noise regardless of the make of tyre. http://www.blackcircles.com/general/...ing/tyre-label

Last edited by Yellowbelly; 19-02-2014 at 01:31 PM.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-02-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Have you ever tried to read a tyre size in the dark with a Torch? I will have to check tomorrow but I do know that they are Touranza and I think they are 15s. Defo not low profile.
Mr Fro - I have been running Eco pressures but Volvo let the pressures down when I took it in to try and hide the noise. It did not seem to make too much difference to the noise but did make the ride smoother. They acknowledged that as well.
Imafudd I am surprised about the mitchelins - you would have thought that they would have been a quieter tyre just from the cost.
I will get my tyre size tomorrow.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-02-2014, 08:48 AM

I thought the road noise was vastly reduced from my Nissan Note. The concrete parts of the A180 into Grimsby are now quiet enough for me to hear the radio. Mine is fitted with Continentals
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCroc View Post
Ok - so Volvo UK are not interested in the fact that I have excessive road noise and have recorded over 80 dBA in the car.
As I cannot afford a change in vehicle (which i considered) I will go it alone with some DIY soundproofing and am looking for some help. I plan to start with the wheel arches and any then bare metal in the boot. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
OldCroc
Hi, do you think it is structure or airborne noise?

I personally think with my 2014 V40 R-Design road noise is very good, as good if not better than its German competitors, my v40 is fitted with 17" Pirelli P7 Cinturato.
The only noise issue I have which I consider poor and requires further improvement is the cold start up of diesel clatter and a high frequency sound like an ancillary belt which soon goes away, I think this maybe a normal op for the vehicle yet annoying.
You can do all sorts but unless you know the answer to Structure or Airbourne you could be wasting your time.
Where is the noise? from Back / Front of vehicle I would probably guess rear, if you run 18" Tyre and wheel combination then you would have to expect higher road noise than the 17" because of the profile and tread etc. don't forget technically the tyre is generating compressed air as it tries to flow thru the tread blocks.
Are you running the tyre pressures on ECO or Standard pressures.
Could also be as simple as production misbuild e.g door seal under door not clipped into body or door correctly causing noise to enter vehicle.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-02-2014, 07:07 PM

well my car is very noisy it is 75 % wind noise around the doors and the rest from the front wheel arc as there is no steel under the plastic wheel arc noise enters from behind the dash both sides i have installed sound mat in my boot as i have removed the stupid plastic cover over the spare wheel to fit a std wheel which helped a lot and having a sub fitted i had to increase the sound matting to stop the rattles.but have also recorded 83 db centre car and 86 db at both front wheel wells .i have michelin on my car and cant wait for them to wear out so i can throw them away .lucky that wont take to long 15000 km tops

2014 V40 T5 R design 2.5 lt 5 cyl ( 207kw 470nm as it left the factory ha ha )
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-02-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Right. My tyres are Touranza T001. 205. 55. R16. With a speed rating of 91H. You can't get much less sporty than that!

To answer some of the questions:
I have run the pressures on both standard and Eco and there is a difference but not a great deal.
In Lincolnshire many of our roads have been 'bandaged' (resurfaced) with a course stone and these are the roads that are the worst for noise. The noise difference over different road surfaces is very noticeable which is what makes me sure that the noise is from the tyres and not wind or engine. I have been very pleased with the engine noise or lack of it unless I just don't hear it because it is drowned out by the road noise.
Front or rear? I believe mainly front but the rear also contributes and when the car boot is loaded the noise from the rear is reduduced.
Toolmantim I agree with the plastic in the wheel arches and I think this may be the main cause of the problem and will be the first area I will tacckle but I am not sure how yet. I thought of spray foam over the exposed area which can be seen from within the engine bay? Any thoughts?
v40d4 - the front door seals have been an issue and Volvo have already replaced the drivers door seal twice as it had collapsed.
I am pleased that this thread has elicited such response and look forward to the views of others. I just feel that as a small, unsporty family hatch the noise is excessive.
OldCroc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.