Rebel Blue Paint peeling on bumper - Volvo V40 Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 16-06-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Rebel Blue Paint peeling on bumper

Interestingly (and thank goodness) I see there is a "paint problem" thread below from Germany and a Biarritz Blue car...what bothers me is that my car's paint is peeling in an identical way and spot...in an upward motion on the rear nearside bumper where the seam meets the bodywork proper.

The Volvo dealer convinced me last week that someone has reversed into me, compressed the paint and the car wash power hose has lifted it...Really?

So now I am going to keep a very close eye on their £85 "smart repair" because it will be interesting if the same keeps cropping up and is an early polymer/bonding problem...granted the car's got 11,000 miles on the clock, but it's only three months old!!

help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 17-06-2013, 09:59 AM
nry

Surely there would be some form of mark or scuff, even small, if the car had been bumped or knocked by another?
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 17-06-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Rebel Blue Paint peeling on bumper

No scuffs, no nothing...in fact have just put a call into the dealer as made a point of looking at all four corners this morning and noticed the same "ripping" effect on a front corner!

It looks like there is a deliberate "lip" of paint on the bumper and if one were to use a power hose, it is enough for the water to get behind it and rip the paint off!

Looks more like a paint application oversight by Volvo in my opinion and a vulnerable area for all cars.
post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 17-06-2013, 02:34 PM
nry

Trading Standards ftw I'll be honest, when we looked at a V40 in Rebel Blue, we were not impressed by the quality of the paintwork. There were ripples where the rear bumper was fitted up against the bodywork and a few tiny spikes in the paint. Not what I hoped to see, and it put my wife and I off this colour (though I still prefer it from a distance!).
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 17-06-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Paint peeling

"touch wood" I have to say that generally speaking the overall paint job is excellent and absolutely no defects in it at all...the Rebel Blue cleans and polishes up really well...until this problem with the Bumpers. The Volvo dealer is seeing the car to report it as a technical issue with Volvo owing to the paint peeling top and bottom on front and back.

It's definitely an application/design problem where the paint is applied at the far edges and the bumper being too close to the bodywork...

...we'll see and i'll post Volvo's response.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 25-06-2013, 11:07 AM

See other topic for simular problems.....(Paint problems? NicoNic 01-04-2013 12:28 PM).

In the Netherlands we have simular problems.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM

I too have a v40 2300 miles and same ripple effect on the near side bumper which is bubbling. Wouldn't mind but only had the car 31 days
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 20-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Bubbling paint on V40R in Rebel Blue

We have a V40R in rebel blue, have just noticed paint peeling on a seam above the wheel on the passenger side rear; taking the car to the dealer first thing Monday.

Car was new in January 2013; certainly no physical damage to explain the problem...
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 26-07-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Conclusion seems to be that Volvo have acknowledged the problem on cars to date and released one of their technical journals to dealers i.e. we know there is a problem, here's how to deal with it for the most part!

Thankfully my car is bypassing all this and two new bumpers are being put on the car Monday...a little disappointed, but appreciative that the matter has been taken seriously enough.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 28-07-2013, 12:24 AM

I have the same problem on my Passion Red T3 With 6000km on the odo. The dealer is going to replace the rear bumper next week..

2013 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design in Passion Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.