Door Mirror Folding Issue - Volvo V40 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Door Mirror Folding Issue

I had a quick search on here and on Google and can find nothing similar, so I thought I'd post.

On locking the car yesterday both mirrors folded in as normal, but there was a loud clicking noise from the passenger side. I went around to it and it was clear that the motor had not stopped running after the mirror was folded, causing the gears in the mechanism to slip, which caused the loud clicking noise. I left it a while, but it did not stop clicking. I unlocked the car and both mirrors opened just fine - no clicking. Locked again, same issue on the passenger side.

Manually folding the mirrors using the buttons in the car causes the same issue.

I have gone into the car menu and disabled the folding mirrors for now and will have Volvo look at it soon.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is there a way of resetting the positions, like you can do on electric windows? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:47 AM

Theres another thread about where someones auto fold mirrors failed - and they had it replaced under warranty. I think it was the gears failed etc..

I've disabled mine from the auto option - so if I want to fold them its just press both buttons on the armrest when I park up. I figured that whilst its a nice feature - its only a matter of time before they wear out! Is it me or does the motor/gears/etc.. always sound a bit strained when opening or closing?

Ah - here it is:
Passenger side mirror stopped folding
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Electric folding mirrors usually have a limit switch or position sensor at each end of the folding arc to tell the motor to stop. Presumably the inboard sensor or switch has failed.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW75 View Post
I had a quick search on here and on Google and can find nothing similar, so I thought I'd post.

On locking the car yesterday both mirrors folded in as normal, but there was a loud clicking noise from the passenger side. I went around to it and it was clear that the motor had not stopped running after the mirror was folded, causing the gears in the mechanism to slip, which caused the loud clicking noise. I left it a while, but it did not stop clicking. I unlocked the car and both mirrors opened just fine - no clicking. Locked again, same issue on the passenger side.

Manually folding the mirrors using the buttons in the car causes the same issue.

I have gone into the car menu and disabled the folding mirrors for now and will have Volvo look at it soon.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is there a way of resetting the positions, like you can do on electric windows? Many thanks.
My started to do the same exact same thing yesterday. It started with a few slow retractions over the freezing periods during last winter but as the weather warmed up it disappeared. Then over the last 5-6 weeks there was an occasional noisy retraction (never does it when extending) and then yesterday the motor could be heard whirring against the mechanism extremely loudly for at least 30 seconds after the mirror retracted.
I've got it into to the dealers for a warranty repair later this month.

D2 R-Design Lux Nav Black - Premium Sound, Xenium Pack, Winter Lux, BLIS, Heated Rear Seats, Tints, Adjustable Steering Force
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Garage
So it seems to be a more common issue than initially thought :-(. Best take it in and they will replace it under warranty
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I had a service on Saturday and they had a look at it then. They say it needs a new motor (?), and are ordering the part. I'll need to take it in at some point for the repair though. I can't see it being the motor, but maybe the part comes with other parts baked in - like position switches etc. Or would they in reality, just be swapping the whole assembly over? I'll try and find out more when it is done.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:02 PM

Garage
Great let us know how you go on - Mine's in for diagnosis on the 24th

Last edited by cueba11; 07-09-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I had a service on Saturday and they had a look at it then. They say it needs a new motor (?), and are ordering the part. I'll need to take it in at some point for the repair though. I can't see it being the motor, but maybe the part comes with other parts baked in - like position switches etc. Or would they in reality, just be swapping the whole assembly over? I'll try and find out more when it is done.
When i had mine done they said they were swapping out the whole assembly. Had made a mental note to ask more in depth questions but was pressed for time.. They DID mention that they needed to take photos and get approval from Volvo before continuing with the fix so that would indicate to me that Volvo know about the issue

Good luck to everyone getting theirs sorted
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:26 PM

Yes, the mirrors come as an assembly, the only motor that comes as a separate part is the actuator that moves the glass itself.
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh..._category=7878
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Garage
Quote:

This happened to me this very morning. Assuming you're in the UK, it was the same side of the car as mine, as my misbehaving mirror was on the driver's door. I have a service coming up next week, so I'll get them to look at it then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.