high Performance sound or multimedia audio system - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-06-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

high Performance sound or multimedia audio system

Anyone know the difference in quality etc between the standard sound system(High performace sound audio system 1*cd 4*45 w amp 8 speakers) and the optional High Performance Multimedia. I know the multimedia comes with 7" screen and can play DVD's but just wondering is there any other advantages in upgrading Costs €485 to upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 29-07-2013, 08:37 PM

I have the Premium Audio on a Lux Nav R-Design also with DAB radio...comparing it to a standard system on a loan car I had today...it's leagues ahead and can really pump the tunes...is also great with Dolby Prologic when watching a DVD too! I'd say it's worth every penny and would get it again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 30-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
Anyone know the difference in quality etc between the standard sound system(High performace sound audio system 1*cd 4*45 w amp 8 speakers) and the optional High Performance Multimedia. I know the multimedia comes with 7" screen and can play DVD's but just wondering is there any other advantages in upgrading Costs €485 to upgrade
In terms of sound quality I could not tell the difference. The screen however (in my opinion) is much nicer and worth the upgrade. I'm also told with the DVD player you can use .mp3 files on a DVD, so another source for extra music if needed (not sure if it can take dual layer, so probably only good for 4.5 GB). I've not tested it myself yet.

V60 D5 Twin Engine Ice White , PCC , F+R Park Assist, Rear Camera , Active TFT , Heated Rear Seats , Power Driver's Seat
V40 CrossCountry D3 NAV (150 bhp 5pot + Polestar upgrade (177bhp) Geartronic , Osmium Grey , Driver's support pack , Rear Park Assist , Active TFT.
Previous:MY2014 V40 D2 R-Design Powershift , Ice White , Xenium Pack , Winter Pack + Rain sensor wipers , Cruise Control , Heated Rear Seats. *
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Garage
So... hang on. I'm about to confirm my order tomorrow with the dealer (which over the moon about), but I've noticed that on the MY 2014 UK spec cars, the brochure and online configuration only show High Performance Multimedia and Premium Multimedia as selectable options. Does this mean they both come with the 7" screen and are able to play DVDs?

P.S. Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but I really MUST know
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Yes - "Multimedia" should mean they both can play DVDs and therefore come with a 7" screen.

I have got a Premium system and it is brilliant - I cannot compare it to the High Performance because it would require a couple of hours of listening to both - but I definitely don't regret going for the Premium.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenoV40 View Post
So... hang on. I'm about to confirm my order tomorrow with the dealer (which over the moon about), but I've noticed that on the MY 2014 UK spec cars, the brochure and online configuration only show High Performance Multimedia and Premium Multimedia as selectable options. Does this mean they both come with the 7" screen and are able to play DVDs?

P.S. Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but I really MUST know
I'm not not so sure about that. I reckon multimedia means it will play from Bluetooth and USB via iPod or USB flash drive or smartphone. You should see that the Nav option gives you the 7 inch screen or the upgrade to Premium Audio (which is a half price upgrade if Nav is already specified) gives the 7 inch screen. Other than that the 5 inch is standard with no DVD playback.

I also have the Premium audio and it's excellent fro a 5.0 system. Considering there's no sub it gives good bass unless you like your internal organs to be rearranged with bass then that it won't do, but for most tastes it more than suffices. Again without an extensive back to back test I can't say how much better it is than the High Performance. I'd like to see the spec of the drivers in both systems as I would have imagined they've upgraded them also to cope with the extra amp power in the Premium.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueba11 View Post
I'm not not so sure about that. I reckon multimedia means it will play from Bluetooth and USB via iPod or USB flash drive or smartphone. You should see that the Nav option gives you the 7 inch screen or the upgrade to Premium Audio (which is a half price upgrade if Nav is already specified) gives the 7 inch screen. Other than that the 5 inch is standard with no DVD playback.
I checked my old price list (April 2013 for MY14). Bluetooth and USB connectivity come with all the systems, Multimedia or not. DVD comes only on systems marked Multimedia, so I guess this is basically synonymous.

You can however have High Performance with a CD (not multimedia) with both 5" and 7" screens. As long as it's a multimedia system (DVD), it comes only as 7". Hope this helps.

As for the Premium system, whenever I am alone in the car, I crank the volume up until I can't hear myself singing along :-) - the sound is fantastic, no distortion, and the volume bar is still only a notch over half way.

Oh, one more thing - I think premium system has Dolby Digital and ProLogic II surround processing, and the High Performance does not. DPL works on MP3 music from USB, and does a pretty neat job. You can adjust the level of surround effect and turn it off if you prefer music "as it is". I am not a big fan of artificial processing and effects, but this is really good, I keep it on most of the time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
IYou can however have High Performance with a CD (not multimedia) with both 5" and 7" screens. As long as it's a multimedia system (DVD), it comes only as 7". Hope this helps.
Yes this is what I meant - Basically the High performance comes with 5 inch unless you specify Nav, and you only get DVD playback with Premium.
The DVD decoder is what provides the multi channel surround decoding hence no DVD on High Performance.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 14-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Garage
iPhone

Thanks for your fast replies guys, very much appreciated. Sounds like I made the right choice then going for the Premium system then . So does anyone know whether it will play iTunes format movies right from the iPhone via USB port?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 14-09-2013, 08:53 PM

I don't have an I-phone, but my Blackberry streams music via Bluetooth nicely and works via the steering wheel controls. I do plug my I-pod in and the music displays exactly as it does on the I-pod screen meaning you can navigate exactly to the song you want via the steering wheel controls...faultless. Darren
darrenT3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.