Possibility of Sensus Connect > Android Auto Upgrade? - Volvo V40 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-08-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Possibility of Sensus Connect > Android Auto Upgrade?

With Android Auto starting to gain momentum with car makers, what are the odds that Sensus will get upgraded to AA? I knwo the hardware used on Sensus and Sensus connected touch is compatible with / Based on Stock Android or at least the kernels are...could this be something that comes down the line for V40 owners?

Interested to hear thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-08-2015, 05:09 PM

I would very much like this, i feel that the addition of google maps to an in car infotainment system would be amazing, i see the new honda accords are shipping with android auto.
I however don't think that Volvo will take this route, They have put alot of time and money into Senus and this is there own "innovative award winning and recognized technology". and are very happy to brag about the system (having not yet received my V40 i cannot comment yet) and with the XC90 currently rocking the Apple car play software i can only see them taking that route if they were to roll out any new in car software.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Arb

The Sensus system is very so so. It functions as well as I want it to though and I'm happy with it.

I thought I might actually be disappointed by not having touch screen, after the touch screens I've used else where I much prefer the thumb mounted wheel, I hate taking my eyes off the road, with the thumb wheel and buttons I know how many clicks back and fourth and amount of scroll notches to reach my desired menu, or navigate audio files on my USB or iPod.

I suppose when it comes to my car the infotainment system is not something that excites me when all my other devices are better in every way. I just want my car to be a car and not a mobile smart device.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 12:16 AM

The Sensus Connected Touch module is a customised version of the Parrot FC6100 and as such runs a custom build of Parrot Asteroid (Parrot's build of Android)

The guys over on the XDA forums have worked out how to get root access on the SCT module over the WiFi connection , which allows you to enable some of the standard Parrot Asteroid features such as downloading apps from Google Play Store, Google Maps and Street View
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2449005

It's very much a case of use it at your own risk though - a couple of people on there managed to brick their modules by deleting or overwriting some of the critical files.

It should also be noted that Sensus Connected Touch is a separate system that sits on top of and interfaces to the standard Sensus infotainment/navigation system. The standard Sensus system runs on the ICM and IAM modules which are supplied by Ford.

Ford Sync (their equivalent to Sensus that runs on the same modules), was originally written for Windows Embedded Automotive and has now migrated to BlackBerry QNX. I presume Ford are continuing to supply the modules in future and that Sensus has also migrated onto QNX, as Apple's Carplay (added to Sensus on the new XC90) also runs under QNX.

Last edited by buzby; 20-08-2015 at 12:55 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 05:32 AM

I have the sensus connected touch, and i cant fault it. I have the additional igo sat nav app. The 8" touch screen whoch was a massive step up from the 5inch screen the car came with. I couldnt live without spotify in the car now.

I must admit though there isnt much in the terms of downloadable apps apart from the ones already installed. Had it for well over a year and havent seen any appear on the android marketplace on the connected touch itself.

Last edited by Pchende; 20-08-2015 at 07:50 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchende View Post
I have the sensus connected touch, and i cant fault it. I have the additional igo sat nav app. The 8" touch screen whoch was a massive step up from the 5inch screen the car came with. I couldnt live without spotify in the car now.
I assume this is a after market option fitted to the car?
I would very much like to have a touch screen infotainment system and spotify is a must for me, i currently stream from my iphone, but have been told that the sensus wont allow me to browse spotify when connected.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomann View Post
I assume this is a after market option fitted to the car?
I would very much like to have a touch screen infotainment system and spotify is a must for me, i currently stream from my iphone, but have been told that the sensus wont allow me to browse spotify when connected.
Sensus Connected Touch could either be factory-fitted or retrofitted by a dealer (see http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-479998/2015 ). It looks like it's disappeared off the list of options and accessories for MY16 cars though, as it's being gradually replaced by the new Sensus Connect system across the range.

Last edited by buzby; 20-08-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzby View Post
Sensus Connected Touch could either be factory-fitted or retrofitted by a dealer (see http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-479998/2015 ). It looks like it's disappeared off the list of options and accessories for MY16 cars though, as it's being gradually replaced by the new Sensus Connect system across the range.
When looking through the list of options and extras when building/ordering my MY16 V40 it wasnt present.
It seems like the Senus touch is alot better than the sensus connect? More apps, actual touch screen etc...
Seems like an oversight by Volvo.
Do we know if the new sensus connect in MY16 models supports spotify properly? And what's different from previous incarnations?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 03:40 PM

I had the connected touch fitted by the dealer. Wasnt cheap atclose to a £1000 but replaced my standard 5inch screen give me spotify igo maps voice control of spotify or via the thumbwheel. Or searching from the touch screen. The igo i find really good, little bit complicated to get to use at first due to so many setting but after that its really detailed and hasnt let me down yet.

I run a permanent internet wifi dongle in car which means unlimited music downloads and the maps updates every few mintues with traffic info. Its a real shame they have stopped offering it. When i went to have it fitted one dealership said it couldnt be done and even if it could it would cost well over £3000 to install to my car. Whereas the decent dealership conpleted it all for me in a couple a days. Mine was the first one they had ever done so had a few little issue but sorted and kept me going with a courtesy car till it was.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Il have a word with my dealer too see what sort of options are available in terms of this. However i am not too keen on spending an additional £1000 just to be able to use spotify and type in post codes on my sat nav, not when the sensus nav was a £600 option.
Its just a shame Volvo didnt go with the touch option as standard.

But i come from a older car where i have installed a single din sony bluetooth stereo and have a tom tom so im sure either version of the sensus will be a welcome upgrade to what i have currently
3-4 weeks left to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.