Rattle behind speedo - Page 2 - Volvo V40 Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anixie View Post
Weird,

The Belgian factory really seems to have a "UK and Ireland " treatment plan. I have no rattles and no squeeks anywhere at 33.000 miles...
Built solid as a rock with exception of the EGR thinghy...
They must do! I was happy with mine until about 6 months ago when these rattles first appeared. I know every manufacturer is likely to suffer from various problems rattles included but the current total is now 5 and it's ridiculous for a £30k car in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
My neighbour has recently bought a BMW 320 and the build quality is far superior to the V40. I believed Volvo to be better built, maybe I'm naive!

I've been looking at an M135i (most likely used this time) but no idea what the interior is like in terms of quality against the Volvo (rattles included!). Hoping I can source these rattles and sort them though but not holding out much hope!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snagglepuss likes this.

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM

I like BMWs, but I have a few friends that are mechanics and they all tell me to avoid BMW like the plague. They've seen so many cars fresh out of warranty, even low mileage, having expensive problems. Same with Mini (BMW owned).

My problem is what do I replace the Volvo with? I liked the look of Mazda, but when my wife test drove the 3 it felt cheap inside compared to the Volvo and their diesel engines are known for having problems. The A class is gorgeous, but poor ride and refinement. I've had a golf before and it was solid, but VW aren't exactly known for reliability and having test driven the A3 I thought the golf was the better car (A3 looked nicer though). Found the Auris boring and the Focus is just my V40 but not as nice to sit in. The Octavia is a great car, but felt a bit cheap compared to the Volvo. I'm genuinely stumped as to where to go now and I'm well aware it's down to perceived quality!

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Garage
I must admit our v40 cc rattles rather more than we would like better than the Ford we had before but our astra gtc was a much better put together car, I'd say it was a better car overall, faster, better handling better looking.
The problem was the ride was too hard and I needed a automatic maybe I should have got a auto gtc with the flexi ride to soften the ride but the V40 cc is far more practical much easier to park even though the gtc had front and rear sensors and the V40 has none.
IamDave likes this.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=IamDave;208601]They must do! I was happy with mine until about 6 months ago when these rattles first appeared. I know every manufacturer is likely to suffer from various problems rattles included but the current total is now 5 and it's ridiculous for a £30k car in my opinion!

I've been looking at an M135i (most likely used this time) but no idea what the interior is like in terms of quality against the Volvo (rattles included!). Hoping I can source these rattles and sort them though but not holding out much hope!

My son has just traded his BMW 1 series for a Seat Leon FR, he had so many problems & lights keep coming on & it was only 4 years old. He said he will not go near BMW again.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad1985 View Post
I like BMWs, but I have a few friends that are mechanics and they all tell me to avoid BMW like the plague. They've seen so many cars fresh out of warranty, even low mileage, having expensive problems. Same with Mini (BMW owned).

My problem is what do I replace the Volvo with? I liked the look of Mazda, but when my wife test drove the 3 it felt cheap inside compared to the Volvo and their diesel engines are known for having problems. The A class is gorgeous, but poor ride and refinement. I've had a golf before and it was solid, but VW aren't exactly known for reliability and having test driven the A3 I thought the golf was the better car (A3 looked nicer though). Found the Auris boring and the Focus is just my V40 but not as nice to sit in. The Octavia is a great car, but felt a bit cheap compared to the Volvo. I'm genuinely stumped as to where to go now and I'm well aware it's down to perceived quality!
To be honest I was largely thinking the same. The trouble is a mate of mine who talked me into buying a Volvo said to me "once you've had a Volvo you won't want anything else" and in a way I agree and much the same as you have very limited ideas on what could replace it. Id like to get the rattles sorted as a little drive last night reminded me why I like the car, it's fairly comfortable, nice interior, restrained but good looks and surprises the average chav!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
My son has just traded his BMW 1 series for a Seat Leon FR, he had so many problems & lights keep coming on & it was only 4 years old. He said he will not go near BMW again.
Oh right, think I might look elsewhere then as you're not the first person who's mentioned having problems with them!

I had a drive out last night and asked a mate to tag along to spot rattles for me. Of course the car was good as gold seeing as I had someone in the car and never made a sound. However this has lead me to wonder if the passenger side rattle could potentially be associated with the seat as I've only heard the rattle come from that side when there's been no one sat in the seat!.

The search continues!

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:37 PM

I've had no problems in mine - in a year of ownership. My mk6 golf had a few rattles that came and some went. Tbh, I think the build quality in the V40 is much better (than the vw) but when I sold my 10 yo E46 3 series touring it had better build quality than both.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave View Post
To be honest I was largely thinking the same. The trouble is a mate of mine who talked me into buying a Volvo said to me "once you've had a Volvo you won't want anything else" and in a way I agree and much the same as you have very limited ideas on what could replace it. Id like to get the rattles sorted as a little drive last night reminded me why I like the car, it's fairly comfortable, nice interior, restrained but good looks and surprises the average chav!

Oh right, think I might look elsewhere then as you're not the first person who's mentioned having problems with them!

I had a drive out last night and asked a mate to tag along to spot rattles for me. Of course the car was good as gold seeing as I had someone in the car and never made a sound. However this has lead me to wonder if the passenger side rattle could potentially be associated with the seat as I've only heard the rattle come from that side when there's been no one sat in the seat!.

The search continues!
Try sitting in the back seat instead of the passenger seat. You can then start to push & pull the seat in all directions, so long as you have a driver on board !!
My seats are all electric so I think the mechanisms keep the movement pretty stable.
If it is the seat, try adjusting 1 notch backward, forwards, up, down, headrest up, down etc to see if this cures it.
If it is loose on the seat floor rails wedge in a matchstick at either end, once you have set the position to suit all.

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas-couple View Post
I must admit our v40 cc rattles rather more than we would like better than the Ford we had before but our astra gtc was a much better put together car, I'd say it was a better car overall, faster, better handling better looking.
The problem was the ride was too hard and I needed a automatic maybe I should have got a auto gtc with the flexi ride to soften the ride but the V40 cc is far more practical much easier to park even though the gtc had front and rear sensors and the V40 has none.
I drove an Astra Elite for a few days as a hire car and the automatic gearbox wasn't great and unfortunately whatever way it was geared/programmed it really struggled at motorway speeds, especially overtaking. I hate Vauxhall's (irrationally mind you) but it was quite a nice car.

A more recent hire car was a brand spanking new Insignia - it was disappointing, the interior seemed to be of very poor quality and was very noisy and uncomfortable. I'm not sure what spec it was but it must have been decent as it had lots of toys.

I was most impressed by a Hyundai Santa Fe, was a very nice car to drive which made me want an XC40 even more.

I'm sure they all have their issues which only become apparent when you drive the thing every day though!

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave View Post
That's the thing, I do love my car. Looks good, it's comfy and even the old D2 that I have has quite a nice amount of torque once out of first and it surprises people.

I think I've found what's rattling, but need to work out if there's anything I can do about it. I'm not mechanically minded so I can't describe what it is, but it's one of the covers under the bonnet that seems to rattle at certain times. if I could solve that, I'd be happy with the car!

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad1985 View Post
I think I've found what's rattling, but need to work out if there's anything I can do about it. I'm not mechanically minded so I can't describe what it is, but it's one of the covers under the bonnet that seems to rattle at certain times. if I could solve that, I'd be happy with the car!

Ah! I may have to have a look under the bonnet then. Come to think of it I did once jump a colleagues car off at work and remember thinking the battery cover wasn't properly in place or it didn't feel like it, might have a look and see if it's that or something else, it's worth a shot anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.