Rattle behind speedo - Page 3 - Volvo V40 Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 PM
sdp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
My neighbour has recently bought a BMW 320 and the build quality is far superior to the V40. I believed Volvo to be better built, maybe I'm naive!
In both bmw one series' I test drove the gear lever vibrated like a tractors when in neutral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 AM

Yep, rattle / buzzing started here too and we've only had the car for 3 weeks, I thought these were supposed to be a premium brand? We had the wife's previous car, a Focus, for over 3 years and her Mitsubishi for 3 years before that and not a peep of a rattle from either of them in over 100k miles between them.

We like driving the car, it's great but not sure we'd have another when it comes time to replace it, it'll be lucky to see 2 years with us to be honest given the crappy dealer service we've had so far and now the rattle. If Volvo are chasing BMW / Audi / VW market share as someone suggested to me a while back then they've got a very long way to go, the V40 is nowhere near in the same league, the Z4 I had last year was far better made than this.

Sorry Volvo, not impressed.

Last edited by Dewi; 12-08-2016 at 01:09 AM.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave View Post
Ah! I may have to have a look under the bonnet then. Come to think of it I did once jump a colleagues car off at work and remember thinking the battery cover wasn't properly in place or it didn't feel like it, might have a look and see if it's that or something else, it's worth a shot anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I checked with my work colleague (who is mechanically minded) and it's the battery cover on mine. It seems to be a very poor fit as, even when pressed down securely, something inside is rattling at certain times. Now to work out how to prevent the noise! If I find a way I'll let you all know!

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad1985 View Post
I checked with my work colleague (who is mechanically minded) and it's the battery cover on mine. It seems to be a very poor fit as, even when pressed down securely, something inside is rattling at certain times. Now to work out how to prevent the noise! If I find a way I'll let you all know!
Just checked my battery cover and although it's not what I'd call secure its in position, not sure if its the cause on mine though. That being said if you manage to fettle it and it works I'll certainly give it a go! I also looked in the passenger footwell and notice the fusebox cover moves/rattles with a few taps and sounds similar to the rattle I'm hearing from the passenger side so might have to find a way to pad it out or something and see if it solves the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
In both bmw one series' I test drove the gear lever vibrated like a tractors when in neutral
I suppose at least my Volvo doesn't do that!
sdp likes this.

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Garage
After 5 months of ownership I'm finding that the V40 is generally a noisy car throughout.

I find the road noise is close to being the worse I've experienced, probably made worse by the 18" alloys, however, my last car had 19" alloys but road noise was quieter than the V40, maybe the tyres are the problem ?

Also engine/gearbox noise coming through the cabin is very noticeable, especially whilst driving around town at low speeds.

As for rattles I dont really have any (yet), but I find that the general noise in the cabin from the road & engine/gearbox lets the V40 down.

I just dont feel that the R-Design V40 Lux Nav is as refined a car to drive as I thought it was going to be.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints

Last edited by jactac; 12-08-2016 at 01:22 PM.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Have to agree with that, the road noise is very intrusive and I'm partially deaf so lord only knows what it's like for someone with a full compliment of ears. It's not a very well sound insulated car it must be said. Some of the fittings I find are a bit "cheap" too, the load area cover for one is a really poxy thing, flimsy and very light. Comparing it to the ones in other cars that friends own and those I've had myself, it really is a piece of rubbish to put on a supposedly prestige brand of car, I've seen better on a Nissan Micra!

On the plus side, there is very little wind noise on m/ways. I have the 2 litre petrol (not a lover of diesels) and took it along one of my favourite back lanes a few days ago - it's one I visit frequently on the motorbike and in the sportscar so I know it well - and it really does handle quite well for such a lardy car. That alone will encourage me to keep it for a couple of years but after that it'll be getting replaced with probably another Ford, they're better made and cheaper.
jactac likes this.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I must admit I actually find the levels of road and wind noise fairly reasonable (in fact on par with my previous mk3 focus) but then I guess, like with rattles, we all have different levels of tolerance with these things!

I'd say I'm 99% happy with the car personally I just wish I could minimise/get rid of some of these rattles. I think I would definitely buy another Volvo (despite what I said on the first page!), though probably not the current V40.

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM

On motorways most of the noise is from the tyres (mines a 1.6 d2). It's noticeably quieter on different surfaces and when I swap the 17" for 16" winter runs its noticeably quieter (and a little softer). That's partly why I avoided an R design - lower profile rims and harder suspension...

I must be getting old
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I actually didn't think the R design suspension was any different unless it was a T2 or a D2?

Part of the reason I didn't opt for 18"'wheels was so it didn't destroy the ride!

post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 12:02 PM

Garage
I'm also led to believe that the suspension on the R-Design "standard" unless opted for the lowered version, which I didnt thankfully.

Maybe I'm lucky in regards to rattles, as there are none, well none that I can hear over the general loudness within the cabin from road noise ect.
I really dont think the V40 is at all refined when it comes to engine/gearbox noise coming through into the cabin either, not just road noise.

Would I buy another Volvo, well I dont know, possibly not, but if I did and it was to be another V40 then the styling inside and out would need to be updated a bit more, and I would definitely test drive it far more than what I did when I bought this one before making a final decision.

I do think the V40 feels fairly well put together, I just dont think its a quiet & calming car to drive, and I'm not totally unhappy with mine, but I think for the money spent there were other marques that I could of and possibly should of looked into.

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints

Last edited by jactac; 13-08-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.