Rattle behind speedo - Page 7 - Volvo V40 Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 16-10-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wish that's all it was, but I don't keep keys or fobs on my car key it's just on it's own.

Another little update:
Took the car for a run down to my brothers (about 30 miles) on A roads and the rattle didn't pop up on the way down this morning. Coming back, however it was back again unfortunately so still not fixed. I'm trying to pinpoint it a bit more but I'm convinced it's coming from the dash between the middle of the car and the near side A pillar. Also seems to be the same as before in that it's louder/more apparent when it's a bit warmer.

I'd like it sorting but I know that until I can pinpoint it myself it'll be difficult to get right.

Sent from my iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 07:25 AM

Right, I've found my rattle! It happened by pure chance with poking plastic bits whilst driving with it one day. It's the light housing on the ceiling (the big grey plastic bit behind the front interior LED light if looking from the front of the car). I poked it and the rattle went away. It came back yesterday, poked it again and it vanished immediately. It's obviously expanding when warm as when it's cold in a morning or at night it doesn't rattle at all.

I hope this is of use to someone. On top of the various things my wife and I have had to deal with this last few months I got to the end of my tether with the Volvo and I'm on the verge of replacing it. It's a gorgeous car but just not for me I'm afraid.

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ah, I'll have a look at that. I must admit I've tapped and pushed on the light console and wondered if that's where the noise is coming from. Think I've tried it though but I'll give it another go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad1985 View Post
On top of the various things my wife and I have had to deal with this last few months I got to the end of my tether with the Volvo and I'm on the verge of replacing it. It's a gorgeous car but just not for me I'm afraid.
Shame to hear you might be selling it but we all have our limits on what we can put up with. I've been lucky that the only real issues I've had are these rattles, only one of which is significant enough to drive me insane. Personally I think I'll be sticking with Volvo as I absolutely love everything else about the car and looking to hopefully upgrade to something like an S60 or XC60 potentially when they bring the new versions out.

Sent from my iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 09:26 AM

It's not the LED or interior lights themselves, it's the slab of grey plastic that's with them (can't get to my car to take a picture). Pushing that makes my rattle go away. Hopefully it'll be the issue with your car Dave!

The V40 is a good car, but we've just had so many bad things come our way this year that when my wife said "treat yourself, you only live once" I decided to get rid. The rattle combined with the poor mpg (can't get above 60 even when driving economically, never had that problem before!), narrow boot and road noise did it for me. I still think it's a stunning looking car though with awesome seats and with a bit more thought it could be a fantastic car next generation. It's also better than the Audi having driven an S-line A3 this weekend - what a waste of money that car is with everything being an optional extra. Compared to Audi, BMW and Merc the V40 is value for money.

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know which bit you mean. Just been for a drive out with a mate of mine being the rattle finder.

He says he could hear something from that cluster surrounding the LED lights in the roof but it comes and goes. He did, however say he could definitely hear some noise coming from the floating centre console. It could potentially be this causing some problems but not sure what, if anything could be done. Same as with the speedo rattle which reared its ugly head again while we were out.

What are you looking at getting as a replacement?

Sent from my  iPhone

post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 18-10-2016, 07:04 AM

Mine rattled again last night and it's deffo the plastic bit near the roof lights in my car. I'm not bothering with sorting it though as just put the deposit down for a Golf GTD last night. When they're knocking £5300 off to get my business back after I went to Volvo who am I to argue? Costing me a chunk of deposit to change after one year, but you only live once!

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 18-10-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Must admit I paid a visit to our local VW dealership with a mate as he needed to sort something for his van. I had a poke around a Golf GTD and noticed there are more in the way of soft touch plastics compared to the V40. A small but noticeable thing!

Hope you have better luck with your Golf anyway, and that discount isn't bad at all!

Sent from my  iPhone
lancslad1985 likes this.

post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 22-10-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well the rattle is definitely coming from the aforementioned cluster with the LED lights in and not the dashboard or centre console so least I know where it is now. I recall a thread on here previously where someone had a similar problem and posted a thread detailing what they did so might get some felt/insulation stuff and give it a go myself. The speedo rattle also came back however a few very very firm bangs on the dashboard just behind the speedo and it went, the mystery continues....

Sent from my  iPhone

post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rattle behind speedo

Thought I would update this thread while I'm at it:

So the car went back in last month for its second service and a recall, so I asked for the rattle to be looked at again as I had narrowed it down to the light cluster in the roof.

I'm pleased to say it's finally been resolved! Although I can occasionally hear the odd noise from it, it's very rare and not as loud or as constant as it once was so I'm happy. Only downside is now I can hear the rattle from the drivers side somewhere which was once drowned out by this one luckily it's very minor and isn't loud or constant like the resolved one was!

The in/around the speedo still comes and goes though but not very often, I'll have to live with it for now.

Sent from my  iPhone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.