Rattle behind speedo - Volvo V40 Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rattle behind speedo

Now then, I thought I'd seen someone on here mention the same thing but for the life of me can't find it.

I have a number of little rattles making themselves known at the moment but this one has got to be the most annoying and seems to have got louder recently.

On anything other than perfectly smooth road surfaces (an extreme rarity in Britain I know!) there is a rattle/buzz coming from the speedo area. After much pressing down on the plastics on and around the speedo it seems like the noise may be coming from behind the speedo. So has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution? I'm guessing removing the speedo would be a fair job, especially seeing as I'm terrible at DIY/fixing things.

Considering whether to bother the dealer with this but as it's generally intermittent I'm not sure if it's worth it, plus there's every chance they may make it worse/introduce another rattle in an attempt to fix this one.

Shame really as the car is great but these rattles/buzzes are really letting it down and making a £30k car feel like half that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 11:16 AM

On mine it seems to be the grey plastic that separates the dials but its usually only noticeable on cold mornings, though just like you, certain roads will trigger it. It seems to be a very creaky type of plastic.

As a side note, I had a rattle issue with my drivers door caused by roads and music. Its still in warranty but I couldn't be bothered bringing it to them as it might create another issue, so I just took the door card off, checked for anything obvious, then re-fitted it. I wouldn't have been able to tighten much anyway as the fixings are plastically welded even though VIDA gave me the impression they weren't. I got lucky as just taking it apart and putting it back together solved it.

If it's annoying you I'd try and get it sorted, I'd bet it's not the first they've come across. Something like the door card was straight-forward enough, taking the dash apart I'd leave to the (insured) experts!

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did wonder if it was the silver/grey plastic but tried pressing down on this as well to no avail. This seems to be intermittent even on the same roads it seems to sometimes do it and others it doesn't do so not sure what is setting it off!

I wouldn't even dismantle the door cards as knowing me I'd snap a clip off or something!

May have to just bite the bullet and book it into the dealers as quite frankly it's getting ridiculous now as I now have 5 rattled/buzzes I'm aware of!:
Somewhere on passenger side
Passenger side dash
Drivers side dash/speedo
Drivers door
Rear passenger compartment (possibly c pillars or roof.

I'm rather disappointed that this is happening and won't lie it's putting me off not just buying another Volvo but keeping the car!

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 AM

I wonder if it's something caused by pure chance and the component not being installed quite right or perhaps a less than ideal design that allows the sounds to happen. I'd assume the latter but there do seem to be a few trends.

If you are able to have someone drive the car over roads you know will trigger the issues and poke about to try and determine what is causing it (as best you can), they might be able to look into all of them in one go. I'm not sure how much service departments hate issues like this because I'm betting Volvo don't pay them much but providing as much insight as possible seems to help quite a bit.
IamDave likes this.

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:45 AM

I share your pain. I too have buzzing and vibration noises starting up.

Front passenger door
Driver door

And there is a terrible one coming from the air vents in the middle console. If I push on the plastic above the vents, it stops!

The noises are distracting and given my car only has 1000km on the speedo, you would think the noises are coming from a car with 100,000 on the clock.

My concern is taking it to the service centre where they don't fix the issue.
IamDave likes this.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 PM

I've had my V40 D2 R-Design since 2013 and have had no trouble whatsoever except that recently the car has developed at least three annoying creeks and rattles from both front door panels and behind the speedo cluster. Obviously badly assembled and I'm seriously considering getting rid of it even though there is only 30,000 km on the clock.
IamDave likes this.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
I'm seriously considering getting rid of it even though there is only 30,000 km on the clock.
I'm thinking along exactly the same lines and I only have 9100 miles on the clock! I really like the car but the rattles are really annoying me. Decided if I can't fix them myself I may give the dealers a couple of chances to sort it and if they're still there or any more appear it's going! Even been looking at the dark side! (BMW)
snagglepuss likes this.

post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 11:17 AM

I'm also fed up and I'm at 13,000 miles. I love the car, but the rattle coming from the passenger side, that's there one day and gone the next, is annoying. They had a look at first service yesterday and couldn't find anything. It's ruining the whole experience of the car for me as it can be very loud sometimes. Certainly put me off buying another Volvo as I've never had any rattles in my last 4 cars.

The only good point is I'm looking at changing jobs and they're all a lot closer to home so I can't run a diesel or it'll break......or so I'm telling my wife!
snagglepuss and IamDave like this.

MY15 V40 CC D2 Lux
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 03:57 PM

My neighbour has recently bought a BMW 320 and the build quality is far superior to the V40. I believed Volvo to be better built, maybe I'm naive!
lancslad1985 likes this.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 05:49 PM

Weird,

The Belgian factory really seems to have a "UK and Ireland " treatment plan. I have no rattles and no squeeks anywhere at 33.000 miles...
Built solid as a rock with exception of the EGR thinghy...
lancslad1985 likes this.

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.