1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Gabriel Geralnik
Exclamation Unknown device

Any idea what's this device is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200C7246-6471-4EC3-8EDC-518F29A07978.jpg (420.5 KB, 85 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 PM
sdp

Garage
looks like it might be a sounder for parking sensors or a trailer?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM

Garage
Dont think its a Volvo part.

I believe the sound for the parking sensors (factory fitted) is integrated into the cars audio front & rear speakers.

Do you have factory fitted parking sensors ?

Do you have or is there evidence of a tow bar being once fitted.
As sdp rightly says, it could be the "bleep" sounder for the indicators on a trailer / caravan ?

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 05:22 PM

that looks very much like an aftermarket beeper.... Not something any car company would install in such a clumsy way

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have installed the parking sensors and a camera.
The car is new, November 11-2016.
I don't think it's beeper, but I'm not sure...
Neither I have a tow bar, the car, as mentioned is brand new.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Garage
You have factory fitted parking sensors and camera ?
I have these as well on my R-Design, but my warning sounds emit from the cars audio speakers.

what ever it is it sure looks like a "beeper" of some sort ?

Are you the first owner from new ?
Was the car pr-registered to a dealer ?
If not perhaps it was installed by the previous owner.
In your photo there seems to be a wire/cable leading off under the trim, maybe you could trace it back to something ?

Do you work for the government, perhaps it's a BUG

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
looks like it might be a sounder for parking sensors or a trailer?
Defiantly a buzzer, and i think its one of the above.....

V40 T4 R Design | Rebel Blue | Winter illumination pack | Comfort pack | Driver support pack | Sensus Connect with Premium Sound by Harmen Kardon | Volvo on call | Fixed Panoramic sunroof | Flexible load floor | Adjustable steering force | 18" Ixion alloys wheel | Rain sensor | Rear park assist | Rear parking camera | Tempa spare wheel and jack | Keyless drive with personal car communicator | Dark Tinted windows - Rear door and cargo area. | Front mudflaps | V40 Exterior Styling Kit R-Design
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:05 PM
sdp

Garage
As has been mentioned the parking sensors (rear and front where fitted) come though the speakers. You can adjust the volume of them in the sound options: Press the 'Sound' button in the middle of the top left dial on the centre console. Scroll down and you should see the parking sensors listed. It might be worth checking you can adjust this.

From memory the rear sensors only sound out of the rear speakers and the front out of the front speakers (and a slightly higher pitch).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 AM

As all the other posters have mentioned, the factory fitted (or dealer retrofit) Park Assist system used by Volvo (it's actually manufactured by Valeo, and is used by other manufacturers like Ford and VW/Audi) does not have an external sounder. Instead, it connects into the vehicle's CANbus network - it received it's enable/disable commands as CAN messages, and it sends the distance signals back as CAN messages which are routed to the audio system, which then mutes the audio and generates the 'beep' tone though the vehicle speakers (I installed the Rear Park Assist retrofit kit myself, documented in this thread - Rear Park Assist as a dealerfir accessory ).

The device in your picture is definitely a piezo sounder, from Murata's 'PKB' product family - they have the distinctive pattern of concentric rings on the upper side of the case :

It is almost certainly from something like an aftermarket parking sensor system (though likely not a cheap one, as Murata are on the upper end of the price scale for this type of part - we use them as alarm sounders on some equipment my company makes).

Unfortunately it is not unknown even for Volvo dealers to fit aftermarket parking sensor systems instead of the factory retrofit kits. One unfortunate owner on here a couple of years ago who bought a brand-new V40 from a dealer in the North West. He specified front and rear parking sensors, but the salesman didn't explain that front sensors could only be fitted (at that time) as part of the Park Assist Pilot option. When he took delivery of the car he found it had a poorly-functioning aftermarket system fitted in the front bumper with an ugly on/off button stuck on the dash by the light switch:
Oh No my new R-Design is ruined :-(

In some markets (like T5Polestar has experienced in South Africa) the national Volvo importer does not offer certain options like the Park Assist Camera, so some dealers may offer aftermarket systems as an alterative. They should make it clear that it's not factory-fit or using Volvo parts though.
Gabriel Geralnik likes this.

Last edited by buzby; 08-12-2016 at 12:18 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi buzby,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive explanation.

Best regards

Gabriel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.