Radio display - Volvo V40 Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By buzby
  • 1 Post By cadwest

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Radio display

Only had the car a few days I'm loving it. Still finding my way around the controls. Really impressed with DAB but I find on some stations I get the station name and series of K,s like ABSOLUTE K,K,K,K,K I've tried retuning but that doesn't solve it. It's only on some of the stations it's got me puzzled any ideas would be appreciated

2016 Volvo v40 T2 auto inscription winter pack,panoramic roof,spider wheels ,osmium grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 10:39 PM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johne View Post
Only had the car a few days I'm loving it. Still finding my way around the controls. Really impressed with DAB but I find on some stations I get the station name and series of K,s like ABSOLUTE K,K,K,K,K I've tried retuning but that doesn't solve it. It's only on some of the stations it's got me puzzled any ideas would be appreciated
Just took delivery of a 17 plate v40. Same fault. Bbc stations are fine. Also noticed a few stations on the new sdn mux are missing (virgin, talkradio, talksport2)... anyone know if theres a firmware update to fix these issues? In good signal area and my other car picks up fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170501_164515_1493667770734.jpg (62.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170501_164508_1493667791320.jpg (66.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20170501_164459_1493667804575.jpg (57.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20170501_164549_1493667819094.jpg (71.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Tony Shorthouse; 01-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shorthouse View Post
Just took delivery of a 17 plate v40. Same fault. Bbc stations are fine. Also noticed a few stations on the new sdn mux are missing (virgin, talkradio, talksport2)... anyone know if theres a firmware update to fix these issues? In good signal area and my other car picks up fine.
It's an issue that's come up after the DAB Module presumably had a new firmware version on MY17 cars. It doesn't like the way the UK Digital One Network's DAB radio transmitters (which carry the bulk of the commercial stations) is formatting the station information for the streams they transmit. See the previous thread on the subject for a more in-depth explanation:
New V40 DAB Problem
Volvo UK know about it, but as far as we know Volvo Technical haven't issued a software update for the DABM with a fix. Complain to Volvo UK - if enough people complain it might prompt Gothenburg into doing something.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzby View Post
It's an issue that's come up after the DAB Module presumably had a new firmware version on MY17 cars. It doesn't like the way the UK Digital One Network's DAB radio transmitters (which carry the bulk of the commercial stations) is formatting the station information for the streams they transmit. See the previous thread on the subject for a more in-depth explanation:
New V40 DAB Problem
Volvo UK know about it, but as far as we know Volvo Technical haven't issued a software update for the DABM with a fix. Complain to Volvo UK - if enough people complain it might prompt Gothenburg into doing something.
Thanks for the quick reply...
Have you got any contact info for Volvo UK?

Have you heard of missing DAB stations fault?
Maybe related... Interesting that my 2015 MB C220 Audio 20 DAB module needed an update as station list (file?) couldnt handle the high number of stations in the UK (especially since the SDN mux went live). The missing stations are on SDN.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shorthouse View Post
Thanks for the quick reply...
Have you got any contact info for Volvo UK?
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/footer/contact-us
Quote:
Have you heard of missing DAB stations fault?
Maybe related... Interesting that my 2015 MB C220 Audio 20 DAB module needed an update as station list (file?) couldnt handle the high number of stations in the UK (especially since the SDN mux went live). The missing stations are on SDN.
The V40 has relatively poor DAB reception due to only having a single antenna printed on the rear window above the heater matrix (there are two antennas on the window, but only FM recepetion uses both). MB changed to a very similar system of window antenna, antenna amplifier and remote DAB tuner module in 2012 with the introduction of the new COMAND system and DAB reception on their cars also went worse.

I believe the problem MB had with the firmware in their DAB modules was because it had an artificial limit of 100 stations in it's database, and if it found more than that it didn't handle it properly and crashed/reset, leasing to a 'device unavailable' error (I presume it went off the end of it's station list array and corrupted it's memory). I believe the fix in the DAB module firmware was to handle more than 100 stations, but the headunit would still only display the first 100.

I don't think Volvo (or Visteon Alpine, who supply the same modules to Volvo, Ford and JLR) have a similar problem, but the V40 may have signal reception issues with the Sound Digital multiplex, as it has a lot fewer transmitters than Digital One and BBC networks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 AM

Yeah still an Issue on all 17my cars, strange how they have left it this long without fixing it.

Such an ugly and visible problem you would notice it going into a showroom to look at buying a car and on a test drive.
Even just going to the old DAB software would fix this
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mulligan View Post
Even just going to the old DAB software would fix this
It's very difficult to roll back an update with Volvo's system as at the dealer workshop level VIDA doesn't give you a choice of versions of software to download.

The configuration information for all the software for every Volvo produced is held on a big server in Gothenburg called PIE (Product Information Exchange). When a car is built, the current latest software for each of the modules for that model of car and the options it has are downloaded an recorded in the database against the car's VIN. If new firmware is subsequently produced, it's loaded onto the PIE server and the records for all the vehicles it applies to are updated to show a new version is avaiable.

When you go into the dealer they hook the car up to VIDA, and if you are eliglble for free updates they just click the 'Total Upgrade' button. VIDA interrogates all of the modules to see what versions they are running and sends the information to the PIE. It checks them against what it thinks should be the latest versions for that car and if there are any newer ones available it downloads them to the VIDA terminal to be loaded onto the car. You can also select the update check for the individual modules too. After VIDA loads them onto the car, it sends a message back to the PIE which then updates the version numbers against the modules that have been updated in the car's record in the database.

If a dealer wants to try rolling back the software for a module they have to contact the PIE Admin group at Volvo Technical and ask them to manually edit the entry for the specific module in the PIE record for that car to point to the version of the software they want to download, and then do the upgrade check for that specific module on VIDA. Ths can only be done provided there are no dependency or compatibility issues between the software for that module and other modules it communicates with (for example ,the pre-MY17.5 DAB Module firmware may never have been tested with the software versions on the MY17.5 IAM or AUD modules, or there may have been interface specification changes as part of the update that prevents them working with each other).

Last edited by buzby; 02-05-2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Software update is available from the dealers, had mine done today.
clubsport911 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadwest View Post
Software update is available from the dealers, had mine done today.
Same here, looks normal now haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.