Passenger seat damage? - Opinions? - Page 3 - Volvo V40 Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 05:14 PM

Garage
Passenger seat damage? - Opinions?

A lot better of garages, especially tyre fitters like kwik fit, check the tread depths incorrectly. In the groove of the tread, every so often is a little lump, this is a wear indicator but not for the UK, if I recall it's for the German market where minimum depth has to be 3mm, not 1.6mm like in the U.K. Some mechanics, and I use that word loosely, either don't check the depth with a gauge and think that they're worn out when down to the 'indicator' or they use a gauge and measure it at the indicator, meaning the tread will show 3mm less than it actually is. Don't know if this helps, but it's surprising how many people get this very wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IamDave likes this.

Once over the hill you begin to pick up speed!
D2 Geartronic CC Lux Nav, with winter pack, Raw Copper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:04 PM

3 mm is the rule in Belgiujm too
Had winter tyres fitted 2 weeks ago, and all four normal tyres were down to the indicators and needed to be tossed.... Expensive day..
IamDave likes this.

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ta very much for all the opinions and advice, much appreciated!

Haven't had the chance to try anymore runs out yet but optimistic it will help dramatically when I can as it's already made a significant difference.

As for the tyre depths I didn't realise they were set at 3mm just assumed they'd be set at 1.6! I did measure from the indicator to see if this is where they measured from but it still doesn't add up. Anyway I've a few thousand miles left on the tyres yet thankfully but I'll be keeping an eye on them as they're going to need doing before long.

Sent from my  iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave View Post
Ta very much for all the opinions and advice, much appreciated!

Haven't had the chance to try anymore runs out yet but optimistic it will help dramatically when I can as it's already made a significant difference.
Well at least you have the solution now mate...
SIT ON IT DAVE
Sorry... Couldn't help myself

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:09 AM

Garage
The whole thing is a disgrace really. We look after our cars and somebody else doesn't but correct me if I'm wrong but if turning on the seat heater and driving around is helping restore it wouldn't this have caused the problem in the first place? That is Pieman jumps in takes off with seat heater on and drives around listening for rattle, leather gets soft thus imprinting his posterior for posterity. What's more it could happen again and he may have loaded up on deep fried mars bars as well and god help the seat.

Whatever, my deepest sympathy as I too have a largish indentation in the back seat of the S60 I cannot remove caused I think by some idiot placing a heavy object on it. At least I knew it was there before I purchased.

MY15 Cross Country T5 Lux Chrystal White Pearl,
Polestar, Centre Court Console, Park Assist, Seat Heat

MY15 S60 Polestar - Sapphire Black with REAL dipstick and NO start/stop.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:18 PM

I had this happen with my rear seats after I used my car to move some final bits and bobs when moving house.

Not sure if its recommended but a hairdryer on low, light pulling/stretching and a bit of leather conditioner took them right out.

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.