Front seats/Driving position - Volvo V40 Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-01-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Front seats/Driving position

Hi all, first post here.

Had my D4L for couple of months now, love everything about the car -- style, handling, brains, the lot.

I drive heaps for work and spend at least three hours behind the wheel daily.

There's only one problem: my back is absolutely killing me. I don't know what it is about the seats or the driving position, but I get absolutely wrecked after couple of hours in it.

It got so bad that I started taking my old Saab 93 for longer trips. I have owned it for 4 years now and never had any problem with seats -- they are extremely comfy and suit my back just fine. I never appreciated how great they were until I swapped the cars.

At some point I got a chiropractic lumbar support pad for the seat, which helped a bit -- I can now drive for the required time, but I'm still far from enjoying it.

I absolutely love the car otherwise and would have to change it, but need to do something.

I know that seat comfort is very individual thing, but does anybody else had this problem? I heard that the R design seats are very nice, maybe I try to get the dealership to install them for me... How much that would cost and are they really that different?

Any insight is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-01-2014, 10:52 AM

I am always a bit worried when I get a new car as they give me a bad back also for a while, however the seats in my SE model are brilliant they are the comfiest I have ever sat in. Have you tried all the adjustments including tilting the seat base and the lumber support in the backrest? It maybe that you have just not got the adjustment right for you yet, if not keep trying as you'll love them when you get used to them.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Driving Comfort

I also drive my car for work, I have run a C30 2.0 SE, and a C30 R Design D3
I would drive from my home in Leicestershire up to Edinburgh no issues, coming back to home a straight drive from Aberdeen to Newcastle up on Tyne no issues.
Drove the first long journey from Leicestershire to Cardiff in V40 and yes I found it difficult to get a seat setting that was comfortable, given I am still experimenting I don't feel the seat is as good as the C30 D3
I do around 40k per year and I have driven most cars that are available (Road Testing)
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-01-2014, 05:52 PM

Some owners will not like to hear this but my V40 is definitely the least comfortable Volvo I have had. I had an S60 until four years ago and to be honest that was streets ahead in the comfort stakes.

V40 wins hands-down on looks but that's it.

Maybe if I tried an S60 now I'd find it very similar to the V40 as I suspect that one way Volvo have become more viable is by cutting some corners in build quality.

Don't get me wrong, the Volvo brand is still up there with the lower end BMW's and Mercs but not quite as it used to be.

I'm still happy to keep my current car for at least three years. She's not that bad!

R Design D2. Titanium grey. 18" Ixion alloys. Rear privacy glass. Cruise control. Rear park assist.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-01-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I naturally played with all the settings in the seat as well as the steering wheel. My lumbar support is turned to max, but it's still not enough... or rather the upper part of the seat is not deep enough, I guess.

On a side note, my friend just got an XC60 and also complained how he is having hard time finding comfortable driving position in it.

I will go visit the dealer one of these days and try to get myself into one of the R-design seats -- see if they are any different.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-01-2014, 07:46 AM

I have the el-cheapo seats - minimum adjustments and no lumbar support! I generally have issues with my back on journeys in a car but so far no real issues in the V40. I have the back support fairly upright and the steering pulled out quite a way so as not to have to reach for the wheel.

V40 D2 ES Powershift, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors,
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mo_ View Post
My lumbar support is turned to max, ...........

That configuration is the most uncomfortable for me. I prefer the opposite to what you've selected.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-01-2014, 10:21 AM

I'm shocked by this thread. For me Volvo seats are really comfortable.
IMHO V40's seats are nicer than in old s40's, also with much better side support. In new s60 they are a bit wider, but thats the only difference for me.
Stueeee likes this.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 21-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I also find the seats very nice, when I get in the previous model BMW 3 series, the seats just feel icky, and doesn't feel nicely around you.

Haven't been longer than a hour trip in the car, can't comment on how my back feels on long trip.

Current Car (in UAE):
2016 Volvo V40 T5 R-Design, Osmium Grey

Previous Car (in South Africa):
2013 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic, Ice White, sport pack, Nav, keyless entry, 18 inch Taranis, rear styling kit & mods
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 21-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Kev

I can't say that I have experienced any discomfort with the seats after 14 months and 23,000 miles of driving. Indeed I have found the seating to be very to very comfortable on both long and short journeys alike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.