Dodgy starter? - Volvo V40 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Dodgy starter?

Hi guys

First post here at this nice little forum. I have been searching a bit but havn't been able to find anything, but if I missed it please do point me in the right direction.

So... I bought a brand spaning new V40 D2, 2.0 2016 model 1.5 years ago and it's been running pretty well, but...

Every now and then I'm having some issues with the starter. When I've been out driving, park the car and turn it off. Then when I bet back to it a few minutes later (2-5 or so) and try to start it again it's as if the starter won't work.

When I press the starter it turns over for a split second then goes off with a message in the display that I should press the starter! Today I had to press it three times until it started just fine as if nothing had happened.

It happens relatively seldom but I have noticed it a handful times during the last year or so. Both during summer time and in winter (like today with -3C degrees) so I doubt it's weather related.

I doubt this is a good sign, and I probably should take it to get checked at a Volvo shop, unless you guys know of a easy way to fix this issue?

Kind regards
Jesper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Garage
A warm welcome to the forum Jesper & congrats on your V40 purchase! A great choice
I think you have actually answered your own question... "I probably should take it to get checked at a Volvo shop"
In my opinion at least, despite the inconvenience of a return to the dealer anything like what you have described during warranty is a problem for Volvo not you!
In my case that would mean anything regardless of if I thought I could fix it myself or not...

So long as you ring and make a booking first I'm sure they'll have a car waiting for you to use while they sort out the starter issue.
Book it in & let the experts sort it out for FREE
Trebor1960 and feltorange like this.

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I took the V40 for a warranty check/fix at the dealer today. They didn't find any errors in the computer-logs and they couldn't reproduce the error (probably didn't drive far enough to let it get hot).

They did change the oil filter though, by order from Volvo, and they (me too...) hope that fixed it. I guess Volvo know that something is up with the filters, I wonder what that might be?

Time will show if the problem has been fixed or not.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper View Post
I took the V40 for a warranty check/fix at the dealer today. They didn't find any errors in the computer-logs and they couldn't reproduce the error (probably didn't drive far enough to let it get hot).

They did change the oil filter though, by order from Volvo, and they (me too...) hope that fixed it. I guess Volvo know that something is up with the filters, I wonder what that might be?

Time will show if the problem has been fixed or not.
Have to admit to struggling with the concept of an oil filter change fixing an issue with the starter motor
I would be tempted to get my phone out & film any subsequent problems you have with starting so you can show your dealer if it happens again.

I would also have to admit to being slightly annoyed by the concept of "The computer hasn't logged an error so there isn't one" mentality these days
Thankfully it hasn't been an issue with my V40 but I certainly copped that line from Ford a few times with my 2012 Focus Titanium... VERY frustrating!
Despite being unsure of how it would have... I hope they have fixed it for you

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-01-2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

It did it again the other day and the next day I decided to film it and "luckily" it did it again, so now I had a nice little film of what was happening.

The Volvo shop took a look at it again and they have now worked out that it's the flywheel that's the problem. It appears to be a relative well known problem, as it had been seen before. They didn't have the correct spare parts home but have ordered them and the V40 is going back to the shop at the end of the month.

I sure do hope that is IT and furthermore that I won't be in the same situation in 1.5 years time again - as in I hope they fixed the underlying issue for good.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-01-2017, 06:46 AM

Garage
That's great news jesper... a flywheel issue certainly sounds more plausible than oil being the cause!!
I hope they have nailed it this time!

You'll have to keep us updated once it's been back for the work...
Good Luck Mate

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-01-2017, 09:14 AM
egb

Its seems strange that this problem turns out to be a known fault, yet the old get out of no fault found so there is no problem was used yet again, I despair that now when you get a fault on a car you are treaded like a complete numpty, to be fobbed off with what seems a stock training reply, we have all heard them and being on a forum you see a pattern, I get the complexity of a modern car and the need to do a fault finding computer test, but what about old fault finding practised by real mechanic's who remembered that A coursed B and so on, this they now claim was a known fault yet it didn't ring a bell any were in the service team, I am old school I worked in a garage it was my first job I learnt how to diagnose faults and repair them not just fit a new part as they do now, till they get it right, our first v40 cc tried my patience to the limit and more, as well documented on here to the point it was sent back as unfit for use, a perfectly good car that was rendered useless by the hit or miss attitude of the am I bovverd service we have. just bring it back if it happens again comes to mind,

Its ok I got out of bed on the wrong side today --- and banged my head on the wall,

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |

Last edited by egb; 20-01-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-01-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

If I had to guess, I would guess that the shop-workers didn't catch the error the first time because they didn't know about the "known fault".

I bet that me being able to reproduce the error and even film it (somewhat high-quality video with subtiles explaining the video and all) forced them to contact Volvo and ask for help, and of course Volvo knew about the problem, since it's not the first time they saw it.

Last edited by jesper; 20-01-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Just an update.

I got the V40 back from the shop today. They told me they couldn't see anything wrong with the flywheel but they had replaced it as Volvo had asked them to.

I did a quick test when I got home from work today and it started just as it should. Time will show if it stays this way.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper View Post
Just an update.

I got the V40 back from the shop today. They told me they couldn't see anything wrong with the flywheel but they had replaced it as Volvo had asked them to.

I did a quick test when I got home from work today and it started just as it should. Time will show if it stays this way.
Maybe the gear ring was on the wrong way ?
The gear teeth are normally chamfered more on the inside where the starter gear pulls in to mesh.
Once the gear ring is off you would not see any fault with it.

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.