All Oiled Up - Volvo V40 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All Oiled Up

My blood pressure that is over the electronic dipstick which simply refuses to read anything but "Max" despite the dealer checking in VIDA showing overfull.

The online help for oil check after changing states drive for minimum 30km rest for 5 minutes and take reading.

Manual states drive 30km rest for 2 HOURS and take reading. Underfilled or overfilled still reads "Max".

Dealer advises the oil level monitor compares oil level readings for the last 3 times the engine is started and then calculates the oil level compared to the level reset at the engine oil change. If the oil level is inconsistent for the last 3 starts a message will appear on the Driver Information screen. Duhhh!

Which one is correct? If number three it precludes anyone but a dealer for an oil change as only they can do the reset. If one or two why is my dipstick refusing to register any change?

?????????
NeilC likes this.

MY15 Cross Country T5 Lux Chrystal White Pearl,
Polestar, Centre Court Console, Park Assist, Seat Heat

MY15 S60 Polestar - Sapphire Black with REAL dipstick and NO start/stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:00 AM

Garage
I hear ya ibmaxx!!
Utter BS in a modern car marketed as premium and goes down as one of the very few gripes I have with my car.
I have a similar but different issue with mine... All I ever get is a reading of a bit more than 2/3rds along with the "OK" message
I check mine around the 1st of every month & after reading this & other members complaints I will now start to take a photo of the display @ every reading.
If I do have an issue related to oil & are accused of never bothering to check it I will at least be able to refute it with day & time stamped evidence.

I of course hope it will never come to that but given the potential cost of a seized or oil starved engine... I think I need to cover myself just in case!
I hope you can work something out with your dealer to get to the bottom of it.

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The dealer relies on Volvo to advise them and they stonewall. It's a real issue all over and the guy who posted THIS has it right - sort of.

The biggest dipstick of all is the Volvo engineer who designed this dog turd system. I want a real dipstick retro fitted please.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Garage
So theres no actual dip stick ?????

Well this is news to me, never heard of a car without an actual bloody dip stick that the owner can pull out and physically check the oil level.

I just gotta go take a look

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jactac View Post

Well this is news to me, never heard of a car without an actual bloody dip stick that the owner can pull out and physically check the oil level.

My PSA 1.6 D2 has a physical dip stick, I love it so much I always use a cloth on the yellow pull bit. Hate it when I see a oily dip stick puller.

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jactac View Post

I looked all over the engine to find the dipstick to no avail.
Read the handbook numerous times before I found it did not have a physical dipstick, but an electronic version.
Then how do I get the ignition to stage 1 ?
I have keyless, so back to the manual.
Quick press & release of the stop start button, after umpteen engine starts it actually worked.
Then rolled the thumbwheel to get the oil level.
As Ibmaxx said why no physical dipstick ?
Must be one of the cheapest things to produce on an engine, as well as only a drilled hole in the engine block!
Makes you somewhat nervous, when they may leave the manual oil filling to a new apprentice, and then keep him away from the electronic oil level gauge.

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav Auto White + all the toys
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart s View Post
I looked all over the engine to find the dipstick to no avail.
Read the handbook numerous times before I found it did not have a physical dipstick, but an electronic version.
Then how do I get the ignition to stage 1 ?
I have keyless, so back to the manual.
Quick press & release of the stop start button, after umpteen engine starts it actually worked.
Then rolled the thumbwheel to get the oil level.
As Ibmaxx said why no physical dipstick ?
Must be one of the cheapest things to produce on an engine, as well as only a drilled hole in the engine block!
Makes you somewhat nervous, when they may leave the manual oil filling to a new apprentice, and then keep him away from the electronic oil level gauge.
All logged in the cars brain, so when the engine fails due to oil, they can wave you and your warranty goodbye.

Also funny you say about the cost, I've had a car written off because of the dipstick.. Vauxhall aguila, the complet tube snapped off the engine and oil went everywhere, drove it with a bung in for a short while, but scrapped it in the end.
Also, my sons friend attempted to top his oil up through the dipstick and got oil everywhere.. Kids!

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The easiest way to check the level is to shove the key in the slot and press/hold the start button until the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree while KEEPING FOOT OFF BRAKE PEDAL. If you start the engine then according to the manual you need to wait 2 HOURS before a recheck. Either way mine only reads the same so I check it no more. Only the dealer can with VIDA. Happy new year ibmaxx.

Can't imagine a more pathetic 'improvement' imposed with drive-E and to pay top dollar for an XC90 with this abortion is beyond the pale. I would never have purchased the Polestar S60 with this horror and all Polestars now have the maxed out screaming 4 pot drive-E with no more potential whereas the old 6 cylinder had SO much more to give. Enough to compete with the M3 and AMG and Alfa (all with proper dipsticks I hope) and at a lower price.

Anyone with the old 5 cylinder V40 is wise to keep it I feel. When I bought this one I thought it was a five cylinder I ordered and even the dealer did too. Just missed out! However the 2 litre is basically better as it gets polestar with the extra torque.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmaxx View Post
The easiest way to check the level is to shove the key in the slot and press/hold the start button until the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree while KEEPING FOOT OFF BRAKE PEDAL. If you start the engine then according to the manual you need to wait 2 HOURS before a recheck. Either way mine only reads the same so I check it no more. Only the dealer can with VIDA. Happy new year ibmaxx.

Can't imagine a more pathetic 'improvement' imposed with drive-E and to pay top dollar for an XC90 with this abortion is beyond the pale. I would never have purchased the Polestar S60 with this horror and all Polestars now have the maxed out screaming 4 pot drive-E with no more potential whereas the old 6 cylinder had SO much more to give. Enough to compete with the M3 and AMG and Alfa (all with proper dipsticks I hope) and at a lower price.

Anyone with the old 5 cylinder V40 is wise to keep it I feel. When I bought this one I thought it was a five cylinder I ordered and even the dealer did too. Just missed out! However the 2 litre is basically better as it gets polestar with the extra torque.
No Polestar available for the new VEA T3 2.0ltr engine, at least that's my understanding ?

2016 Ice White V40 T3 R-Design Lux Nav, Xenium Pack, Comfort Pack, R-Design Rear Styling Kit, 18" Ixion Alloys, Rear Glass Tints, Active Xenon Headlights
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Garage
Theres nothng like a proper physical check of the oil level though.

This is a bit concerning to say the least, that we have to rely on electronics to reasure us of the oil level

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.