TF-80SD Fluid - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gotcha

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Question TF-80SD Fluid

What to do....I want to do a transmission fluid change. The Auto box is a TF-80SD Oil AW1 per manual, Vida part no for fluid is #31256775 for 4 litres. Volvo here gives me part # 1161640, but on the can it says for Volvo up to model 2010....... but they say it is fine.

Should I rather get what Vida says, or what the Parts Manager says? Obviously there has to be something different as to why different part numbers!?

Last edited by Gotcha; 09-06-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-06-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

So I exchanged it for the #31256775 as stated on VIDA, and another Volvo Dealer Parts. Not going to take the change here.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Let me know if it makes any difference, would be interested to know if it helps at all. I know it shouldn't make a noticeable difference in theory but you never know!

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-06-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Will let you know abby, reason for changing VIDA shows it has to be changed every 60 000km, I have gone over the 2nd interval and I am experiencing some jerky shifts and a Service reminder for gearbox popping up.

But will change and reset service of gearbox and let you know how it is.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

HUGE difference since replacing the fluid. I would say, this is a must after xx km travelled. My oil was almost black, which is not good, so not very sure of Volvo replaced it, as indicated at 60 000km.

It is so much smoother, and more responsive, and shifts are much quicker now. Feels like a new car.

Do a complete flush, you will need about +- 10 Litres to be sure it's clean and a level check is perfect. Part ##31256775 - 4 Litres and Part # 31256774 - 1 Litre.
You will also need to reset the oil change with Vida. Not a must, but if you can, why not.

Let me know if you need the flush procedure via Vida, not difficult.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 02:43 PM

I wonder why Volvo consider the unit sealed, I was informed they only replace fluid if you are driving loads or pull a caravan all the time, of which I do neither. My car isn't high mileage but has had a few shifting issues lately so I'm intrigued that it helped.

Must look into this, I don't have a lift or anything but I have a jack and jack stands so hopefully that would be enough.

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I also told the one Volvo dealer that they say the unit is sealed and do not need to be changed, and he said no way, it has to be changed. Also Vida says replace every 60 000km. And by the state of the oil that came out, I am glad I changed it.

Rather spend a little time and money replacing it, than having to replace the whole transmission.

I will get the procedure from Vida and post it here. You have to do it, as specified to pump out all the old oil. Not too difficult, and no need for stands, as the car has to be level when doing this, expect when dropping the drain plug to get rid of the 1st 4litres, from there you pump it out through the oil cooler.

So far all my issues are gone, drives like a dream again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks, very interesting. Did you reset the adaption thing where the gearbox computer adapts to your driving style? Just trying to figure out if the fluid change is the direct reason for the improvement or if its a bit of both.

MY13 V40 SE Lux Nav
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-06-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

No, I wanted to, but did not have time for the whole thing. Figured, that if it's not better, I will do that when I have the time, but I am very happy now, so it's not needed.
abby606 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.