• 2 Post By Yellowbelly
  • 1 Post By denn1s
  • 2 Post By denn1s
  • 1 Post By JB1001
  • 1 Post By Mr Fro

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-01-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

K&N 57S-4000 replacement air filter

Hi, anyone installed one of these K&N filters? What is your experience with it? Any noticeable performance increase? K&N has posted a video with a Ford Focus (same ecoboost engine) on a Dyno to prove the increased power of the engine with the filter installed. I'm thinking of getting this filter too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpzQbFGP4MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Cool

The increase in performance is obtained by permitting a greater airflow through the filter. To me, this suggests poorer filtration. I may be wrong , but ..........
raytint and darrenT3 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-01-2015, 12:29 PM

18 bhp from swapping to a cotton gauze filter....if only tuning was really that easy LOL

I have been improving my engines for years, including developing an induction kit for a couple of brands and in reality you would be lucky to get 1 or 2 bhp out of it.

A paper filter will flow more than sufficient air to feed the engine and filter it better than a cotton gauze, yes the cotton gauze will feed more but the engine can't suck/use it is what is the point (other than a bit more noise). Also looking at the video the filter etc they remove do not any different to what is in the Focus ST 2.0 ecoboost chucking out 250bhp, if the filter can feed enough air got that then it surely can for the 1.6

I have spent more than I care to remember on air filters over the years but I do it in the knowledge it will in reality do little for performance I tell I do some real tuning to the car where by the standard induction does become restrictive.

Car 1 mkII focus ST (Volvo T5 lump) remapped to 285 bhp (done purely for astetics)

Developed by me using BMC CDA

Lotus Elise, stage 3 head (gas flowed with bigger valves) 4-2-1 manifold, larini exhaust

Pipercross viper (developed with lotus for the 340 R)

Moved on the the ITG Maxogen (carbon fibre..mmmmmm)

Now these systems are properly developed considering the air flow using ram pipes, veins etc to cause turbulence/accelerate etc the air flow to the engine, not just a change in fabric and making the hole bigger
Kev likes this.

Last edited by denn1s; 25-01-2015 at 12:38 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Sorry the system timed me out from being able to add the picture of the ST filter

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Just had a look over on the mountune site, their £1000 upgrade including remap, inter cooler along with a new air box, only produces about the same improvement, it seems K&N have a magic car/filter combo or are dreaming

http://www.mountune.com/index.php/se...s-1-6-ecoboost
Kev and JB1001 like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-01-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

So you guys are saying, the K&N video is a hoax? The video shows a real dyno run, you really think they will fake this kind of stuff to promote their products?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-01-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat0rN View Post
So you guys are saying, the K&N video is a hoax? The video shows a real dyno run, you really think they will fake this kind of stuff to promote their products?
I'd say 18hp from an high flow filter is optimistic. Especially on a car where air / fuel levels are controlled via mapping so unless the car 'allows' the extra potential flow I can't see it giving such increases. Up to 5 bhp at best. Polestar only gives 20 hp.

To me a good quality filtration system is just one part of the performance jigsaw.
denn1s likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-01-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat0rN View Post
A decent rolling road operator can make it show what ever they want, I recall many years ago on a rolling road day the day was won, by a little 1.4 single carb'd Peugeot that the owner had just stuck a K&N panel filter on, the k&n showed an 100% power increase! over stock, the look on the owners face was great as the power just kept on climbing beating much more powerful cars, until we let him on on the joke, he took it well and saw the funny side

As I have posted I have been involved in developing systems and seen how little R&D is carried out on these cheaper bolt on systems, they just make the stock off the shelf filter fit.

So in an answer whilst I was not there I doubt you would get anywhere near that in real life.

If the paper filter was so restrictive I wonder what what the 1.6 ecoboost would achieve if you simply removed the filter, 1,000 bhp, and why ford did not play a bit more to make their car even more efficient?

It reminds me of those electric turbos you could get that would give you 50bhp
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2015, 09:52 AM

I'm agreeing with Dennis on this one - you'd be lucky to add a few horses to such an engine in a standard state of tune using an off the shelf induction kit. To get more than that you'd need to fiddle about with pipe length, diameter, flare blah, blah.

Here's a great book about tuning techniques which was my bible throughout my teenage years:
Amazon Amazon
denn1s likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.