sound system upgrade - Volvo V40 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-06-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

sound system upgrade

I would like to know if I can upgrade my high performance sound to Premium sound by Harman Kardon I have the 7 inch screen and sensus Nav systemso it shouldnt be too much of an issue right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-06-2015, 11:31 PM

Garage
Major issue.

The HK has a massive speaker that sits in the top of the dashboard for starters.

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 AM

Garage
I'm contemplating a sound system upgrade as well. I wonder if just a driver change will affect an improvement, or if it's the amp/driver that would be required. I'm also looking at the boot seeing a great spot for a false floor and slimline sub. I'll probably start with the sub and see what it sounds like.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

does that mean a dash board change or is it factory fitted? which means it cant be added afterwards

Last edited by PSF1974; 01-07-2015 at 09:34 AM. Reason: extra content
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Garage
Volvo dealers don't seem to be very helpful when it comes to stuff like this. The ones I've asked just shrug their shoulders.

I would have thought that the centre channel would be a biggy and not worth the effort (of probably a new dash), but surely they should offer an upgrade kit comprising the drivers, amp modules, then the ability to re-flash the a/v system.

Does anyone know if the stock system has some pre-outs to use for a sub amp? And is the stock amp behind the nav system, or under one of the seats?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

yeah its a pain in the arse when you don't get the customer service I'm willing to pay if it can be done as I want the same quality of sound in my car as I have at home
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
Volvo dealers don't seem to be very helpful when it comes to stuff like this. The ones I've asked just shrug their shoulders.

I would have thought that the centre channel would be a biggy and not worth the effort (of probably a new dash), but surely they should offer an upgrade kit comprising the drivers, amp modules, then the ability to re-flash the a/v system.

Does anyone know if the stock system has some pre-outs to use for a sub amp? And is the stock amp behind the nav system, or under one of the seats?
I've managed to get hold of the wiring diagram and the 2 audio systems (Performance and Premium) are very different beasts.

The Performance Audio system has the amplifier built into the Integrated Audio Module (IAM) in the centre console (it has the CD drive in it). The IAM is controlled by the Infotainment Control Module (ICM). The ICM accepts inputs from the controls via CANBus, and then talks to the IAM via the MOST bus over an optical link. As far as I can see, there are no analogue low-level outputs on the IAM, only the speaker outputs.

The Premium (HK) system uses a different IAM and a separate amplifier, the Audio Module (AUD), located under one of the front seats. This drives all the speakers including the centre dash speaker. The IAM transmits the selected audio feed to the AUD module digitally over the MOST bus, and there is no low-level analogue ouput from the AUD module either. There is also a massive amount of extra wiring (e.g. it has 3 antenna inputs compared to the 1 for the Performance system) and extra MOST optical fibre links involved, which is probably only practical to fit at the factory before the interior has been fitted.
raytint and motmot like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Garage
Love your work mate, appreciate the info.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM

Garage
So on the stock system, this is under the passenger seat. Would this just be the amplifier module, or something else? Ie can I safely ditch this to put my aftermarket amp under the seat? Would be a more convenient location than the boot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (112.2 KB, 79 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
So on the stock system, this is under the passenger seat. Would this just be the amplifier module, or something else? Ie can I safely ditch this to put my aftermarket amp under the seat? Would be a more convenient location than the boot...
That is the AUD module. It's not just an amplifier, it does the digital to analogue conversion as well. The connectors from right to left are:
1) Power
2) Primary MOST bus (optic fibre)
3) Speaker outputs
4) Secondary MOST bus (unused)

You can't remove it as the IAM only outputs a digital stream which the AUD then converts to an analogue signal and amplifies. The traffic on the MOST bus is packet-based (like ethernet) and as well as sending the packetised audio the IAM also controls the AUD output via control packets over the MOST datalink (i.e. the volume, balance etc).

If you want to fit a sub, you are going to have to tap in to one of the outputs in the third connector and do high-to-low level conversion to a separate amp (or have a sub amp that accepts high-level inputs).

It's a 16-way connector and the pins for the speaker connections are assigned as follows:
1(Grey/Black) & 9(Green/Black) - Left Front
2(Grey) & 10(Green) - Centre Front
3(Yellow/Black) & 11(Violet/Black) - Right Front
4(Grey/Red) & 12(Green/Red) - Left Rear
5(Yellow/Red) & 13(Violet/Red) - Right Rear

I would tap in to one of the front or the centre speaker connections, as if you have got dolby surround enabled I think it applies some delay processing to the rear channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.