Volvo V40 Forums banner

Polestar Parts Announced

16K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Erad 
#1 ·
Hey Guys...
Quite a few trinkets to bolt onto our V40's :)
As for pricing... Should be interesting!

Explore the Polestar Performance Parts on: http://parts.polestar.com

Polestar Performance Parts Complete Package
Chassis Package
• Shock absorbers
• Springs
• Strut bar*
Intake & Exhaust Package
• Sports air filter
• 2.5” stainless steel exhaust
• Diffusor
Wheel Package
• 21” lightweight rims for XC60
• 19” lightweight rims for S/V60 and V40
• High performance tyres
Interior Parts
• Door sills
• Gear knob
• Sport pedals and footrest
Exterior Parts
• Rear spoiler
• Black side mirror caps
• Lower door décor*
• Lower door panel**
• Boot handle**
Models eligible for Polestar Performance Parts
Current generations:
• Volvo V40
• Volvo S60
• Volvo V60
• Volvo XC60
Polestar Performance Optimisation
• Optimised engine performance
• Optimised throttle response
• Faster gearshift speed***
• Improved gearshift precision and gear hold***
• Off-throttle response***
* = S/V60 only
** = XC60 only
*** = Automatic gearbox only

See less See more
Reactions: stratosHD
#2 ·
Had a quick look and already I've noticed (for the UK at least) they only appear to be supporting the 2016 V40 onwards and even then the only petrol model they're supporting is the T5!

Hopefully the compatibility lineup will grow for previous generations as id be interested in a few of these fancy bits (price pending!). Although it would at least appear we might be able to get a footrest at last!!

#4 · (Edited)
Although it would at least appear we might be able to get a footrest at last!!
Do you mean the footrest in this picture?

Thats a LHD car, with the Polestar footrest cover on top the the factory footrest (which has a brace welded into the footwell/A pillar to support it). Here's the same pedals on a LHD S60 Polestar:

For RHD cars they decided not to put the brace in the footwell (lack of space between the clutch pedal and transmission tunnel I presume), so there's nothing to mount the Polestar footrest cover onto.

#5 ·
Ah......bugger! I never thought of that think I need to find something to put down over the carpet as it'll end up getting worn quite possibly!

#6 ·
Disappointed in what's on offer - very little of what's going to be available I would call "performance parts". Mostly its just bling. From what I'm reading elsewhere even the "Polestar Performance Optimisation" is just the continuation of the existing rather tame Polestar tunes for the Drive-E engines. There had been hope (at least in my mind) that Polestar would release higher levels of engine tune that did away with the current Polestar tune restraint of not adversely impacting on fuel economy.

Tony

#7 ·
I imagine the problem Polestar have with the performance increases they can offer is with the emissions and warranty effects. They are officially part of Volvo, so all their modifications will have to be type approved, part of which will be not having too detrimental an impact on the standard emissions. On the warranty side you are still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, so they cannot stress the engine and transmission too much to avoid failures during an extended warranty period (which is why I think they never offered a map for the 1.6 D2, as it's quite highly stressed as standard).

Other tuners like Rica don't have to worry about these issues, but the downside is if something goes wrong while the car is still under warranty and Volvo find out it's been remapped you are on your own, or if the diesel emissions scandal leads to tighter emissions testing during MOT tests. It all depends on how much risk you are willing to take.

On a related topic, there are 3 different sizes of front brake discs and calipers (280mm, 300mm, 320mm) used on the V40, depending on the model and engine. Most 1.6 D2s are fitted with the smallest front brake setup, which I feel are only just adequate and begin to suffer when pressing on even in standard tune. The Rica D2 remap increases the power and torque significantly (+25HP/+130NM), almost the same as a standard D3 (140hp vs 150hp), but the D3 would have the 300mm brake setup.

#8 ·
While I concede it's largely bling...
I would think a Polestar optimised T5 with the Chassis + Intake & Exhaust package would be a fun thing indeed... >:)
Like the real Polestars though... Without having even seen pricing...it wouldn't be a cheap exercise :blush:
I'll at least make the call & check on MY2015 compatibility & costs but that may be as far as it gets as I'm leaning towards saving for the real thing.
Just as soon as I can afford one :blush:
I am going to be in a real dilemma if they do eventually release a full Polestar V40 as well as an updated Polestar S60 :s

#9 ·
Wonder if the rear diffuser will fit R-design cars... fingers crossed. ;)

The gearknob looks nice too, but can't say the same about the 2 winglets on the roof spoiler.

#11 ·
Yeah same here... but if it's more functional/better looking, why not? :D Though I suspect it will cost plenty a penny.

They do, but will add to the jarring-ness I guess. Trade-offs...

#12 ·
Good luck getting half of that to fit if you bought your car last year or earlier! I'd have quite liked a polestar exhaust but here's the reply I got when asking about if they plan on releasing parts compatible with previous model years:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your interest in Polestar Performance Parts!
The Parts are tested on the cars that are listed on the web-site. We can not give any comment on any other model / engine. Please contact your local Volvo dealer for more information!

Best Regards
Polestar

#13 ·
Good luck getting half of that to fit if you bought your car last year or earlier! I'd have quite liked a polestar exhaust but here's the reply I got when asking about if they plan on releasing parts compatible with previous model years:

I can’t see you having any problem fitting these parts to an older model, maybe the exhaust systems won’t fit if you have a car which is not the Drive-E architecture.

All the suspension parts will work fine as the facelift hasn’t changed any suspension parts from the original car or all the way back to the C30

The only difference from a facelift car is the headlights, grill shape and interior trims.
I'll be ordering the springs and shocks, rear valence and exhaust and door trims :) prices are going to be scary though :/

#14 ·
Those Rims looks sweet.

:D

I wrote to my dealer, let see if they come up with a Price :D

#16 ·
Polestar prices.
Software optimisation D4,T5,T5 AWD £835

Intake and Exhaust pack D4 T5 only not CC ( stainless steel exhaust system, tech matt black rear diffuser and sports air filter and polestar branded cover) £1000

Interior and exterior styling pack D4 T5 only not CC ( sports pedals gear knob with polestar branded emblem glossy black mirror covers door sills and roof spoiler) £600

19 " polestar lightweight alloy wheels (matt grey) with 235/35 tyres D4 T5 not CC £2325

Chassis pack D4 T5 not CC ( polestar blue sport springs polestar shock absorbers) £800

Complete polestar performance pack D4 T5 not CC ( software optimisation, 19" polestar alloys, intake and Exhaust pack, chassis pack, interior and exterior styling pack,) £4725

#20 ·
Hiya guys. I've been in touch with my local Volvo dealer and am attempting to get as much information for these as possible! I have a 64 Reg V40 - D4 r design. LOVE IT.
In the uk apparently parts will start coming back to the previous models come about the second week of April! That's when other bits will be announced (according to Kastner Volvo Exeter).
Unfortunately until this comes back, I won't be able to know anything about what changes spec wise with any modifications! Anyone found any videos or had the 2016 models upgraded for the diesels potentially with the intake and exhaust? Apparently it'll make a difference to how it all sounds - I'm a little sceptical of course but if anyone had videos or can confirm then I'd appreciate that before I can pull more information!
Cheers all

#21 ·
Appreciate your update as I was a little miffed when I saw it was only for 2016 models and nothing for the T4. They did say in the email they would be supporting a wider range of model year and engines so hopefully I'll see some goodies for the T4. Only things I'm not interested in are the software optimisation (already have it) and possibly the suspension (can't make my mind up whether it might be too hard!)

#22 ·
I must say - I'm also struggling as to where to find news subscriptions for polestar updates. So if there is anywhere I can subscribe then that'd be good. Otherwise will just try to stay on top of it! The prices have already been announced which sound spectacular to me. Might also be worth thinking about a Volvo Insurance plan, rather than using our own companies of choice as they will know what is in the cars and shouldn't change their quotes (in theory)... Will have to see when my renewal comes around!
Glad my update was of some use :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.