Permanently disable start & stop - Page 2 - Volvo V40 Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM

RE: Permanently disable start & stop

What Car magazine is running a Mazda CX-5 long-term test. The car is equipped with stop/start. There is an option to check the total time the engine has been stopped for. After 6 or 7 months total time EXCEEDED 12h. You can find that info on their website too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafiki
What Car magazine is running a Mazda CX-5 long-term test. The car is equipped with stop/start. There is an option to check the total time the engine has been stopped for. After 6 or 7 months total time EXCEEDED 12h. You can find that info on their website too.
To put it into perspective we need to know what the number of hours (and miles) running was. Can you give us a link to the article please?

post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Quote:
To put it into perspective we need to know what the number of hours (and miles) running was. Can you give us a link to the article please?

Hi,

Here's the link to CX-5 weekly report:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-mazda-cx-5/november/263047

I hope it works.
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 AM

12 hours off in 13 thousand miles... That's a lot of fuel saved!
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Quote:

Hi,

Here's the link to CX-5 weekly report:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-mazda-cx-5/november/263047

I hope it works.
Thanks Rafiki, it worked fine. As a rough estimate, I reckon that if I did the same mileage for my regular journeys in my home county of Lincolnshire in England my stop/start would be operational for a mere 2 hours out of a total of 370 hours, or one minute in every 105 miles.

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 15-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Are you saying keeping your foot on the clutch is the only other solution to disabling, that's fine for short stops. What's it like if you have an automatic?

Just an update on my previous problem when the car is cold, I'm stopped in traffic, the engine stops fine, but then restarts itself after a few seconds instead of waiting for you to put your foot back on the clutch before restarting.
I know it's a little inconvenient but I've noticed that having the heater switched off when the engine is cold for the first 5-6mins of a journey allows the start stop to run properly. Understand that's not practical in all climates!! It's obviously something to do with the load of the heater on the battery/engine. After a few minutes when the engine is warm it's not a problem.
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 17-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_2012

Just an update on my previous problem when the car is cold, I'm stopped in traffic, the engine stops fine, but then restarts itself after a few seconds instead of waiting for you to put your foot back on the clutch before restarting.
I know it's a little inconvenient but I've noticed that having the heater switched off when the engine is cold for the first 5-6mins of a journey allows the start stop to run properly. Understand that's not practical in all climates!! It's obviously something to do with the load of the heater on the battery/engine. After a few minutes when the engine is warm it's not a problem.
Pages 125 and 126 of the Owners Manual detail the many circumstances under which the Start/Stop either doesn't operate or operates differently from what you might be expecting.

post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 16-03-2013, 12:44 AM

Permanently disable start & stop

Not sure if all models of the V40 have it but I am able to disable the Stop/Start using a button right at the bottom of the floating console. It has the same icon as the on screen display when Start/Stop has kicked in at traffic lights. No need to go into car settings all the time. Have only used it when I know the car has t been on long enough to stay off when in neutral and wants to start again 2 seconds later.
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 19-07-2013, 08:17 PM

More than 20 years ago, the start/stop technology was introduced in Switserland. I was there on holiday and they had an extra light to indicate you could start your car.
German television had a car program and they worked out how much fuel you could save (if any) by switching off at traffic lights. With the engines from that period, they worked out it was beneficial to do if you're stopped for more than 10seconds.

Fast forward to 2013, with the special battery and it getting it's energy through KERS and the special startermotor (it's different), and it'll work out to under 10s.
Point is, you'll never see Volvo (or other brands) giving you the option to disable it permanently. It's part of the package that gives the car the eco label. Maybe not a big thing everywhere, but here in Netherlands, it's important for the tax you have to pay on top of your income tax when you have a company car. Now it's in the low 14% category, which is why Volvo is #1 for the past month... The competition from Audi, BMW and Mercedes is rated at 20%.

So, get used to it. It only takes a week, and you're totaly over the 'onnoyance' of the starting. And it's just once in a while that the light goes green the second your engine cuts out. Just mildy annoying.
Usually, I'm very good at jumping 'into the light' that I'm still the first to leave, even with start/stop. Give up the resistance...
Yellowbelly likes this.
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 19-07-2013, 10:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by London_2012 View Post
Are you saying keeping your foot on the clutch is the only other solution to disabling, that's fine for short stops. What's it like if you have an automatic?

Atuo-off kicks in as you come to a stop, and fires the engine up again the second you remove your foot from the brake pedal. It can be annoying as **** when you stop at a stop street as it kicks in literally as you come to a halt, and you may remain in that position for 2 seconds while you do a safety check before moving off. In that 2 seconds it's off, and then on again.

Stop start traffic is just as bad - move forward two inches, stop / off , 5 seconds later, foot off, start move forward 5 paces , rinse repeat. I find my fingers very well trained already, and I disable it by default - re-enabling when I predict it would be useful.

MY2014 V40 D2 R-Design Powershift , Ice White , Xenium Pack , Winter Pack + Rain sensor wipers , Cruise Control , Heated Rear Seats. *
On Order : V60 D5 Twin Engine Ice White , PCC , F+R Park Assist, Rear Camera , Active TFT , Heated Rear Seats , Power Driver's Seat ..At dealer being prepped! *
Wife's Car : MY2015 V40 Cross Country D3 NAV (150 bhp 5pot + Polestar upgrade now 177bhp) Geartronic , Osmium Grey , , Driver's support pack , Rear Park Assist , Active TFT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.