Permanently disable start & stop - Page 3 - Volvo V40 Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 20-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Kev

I can't fault the stop start myself. I think it's great. No issue whatsovever. Keep up the good work Volvo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 21-07-2013, 12:38 PM
nry

I can see why it's a pain in an automatic from that description, but use of the clutch down technique just extends general driving advice of how long you should do that whether you have start/stop or not. Loads of drivers dip the clutch, leave it in gear, and put the handbrake on, bad for the clutch and your fuel usage
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 23-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I also don't have a issue with the stop/start, my car is manual, so at quick stops, I just leave the clutch in, at longer stops, big robots, or dropping the kids of at school, I let it switch off.

Current Car (in UAE):
2016 Volvo V40 T5 R-Design, Osmium Grey

Previous Car (in South Africa):
2013 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic, Ice White, sport pack, Nav, keyless entry, 18 inch Taranis, rear styling kit & mods
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 23-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Stop/Start is pretty useful if you happen to stall the car though!
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 23-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Kev

Hehehehe.

There is a button at the bottom of the centre console that disables the start / stop if that's what you want?
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 29-07-2013, 10:14 PM

Start stop has been around for a long time and on my 3 last cars (since 2008) there was no way to turn it off forever (although my BMW had a fault that killed it off, it turned out to be a battery issue).

I also find it annoying as sometimes say when setting off from traffic lights there can be fraction of a seconds delay prior ot the car having decent torque to set of (the D4 labours a little below 2,000 rpm)

Re it causing extra ware, whilst my head would agree experience suggests not, if it did then I think this would have been noted as an issue before now
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 30-07-2013, 08:52 AM

Cool

When I first got my car I used to switch off the start/stop at the start of every journey, but now I no longer bother. The only time I switch it off now is when I want to put my car in the garage. Leaving the start/stop active hasn't improved the fuel consumption.
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-10-2013, 02:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly View Post
Leaving the start/stop active hasn't improved the fuel consumption.
That's been a similar experience from an associate who has a car (not Volvo) that measures the time stopped and fuel saved. In the order of a few litres of fuel over a year.
My understanding is the same as Mike Philippens - eco ratings.
My concern is the same as yours Yellowbelly - wear & tear, but I trust the Volvo designers - well actually I just hope they have got it right and I will not have a failure down the track.

D4 Lux DSP Ice White with tint
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-10-2013, 08:00 AM

I think it's in the manual or I've read elsewhere that you only achieve a fuel saving if you have the engine off for more than 10 or 12 seconds; less than that and the energy used in starting up the engine is greater than the fuel saved by having the engine off.

If you look at the Urban part of the NEDC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Eur...#Urban_driving you'll see there are two stops where it's in neutral for 16s so stop start would be beneficial there. In the real world though if you're stuck in traffic, it's difficult to predict how long it's gonna be before you move again. If I'm at a set of lights that I know the interval for then I'll let it stop, otherwise I'll take a gamble and maybe or maybe not leave the clutch in
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 28-10-2013, 07:50 PM

well i will be by passing it thats for sure drove a auto around for two days stuck in traffic car eventaly gave up battery flat and ran all the time so whats the point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.