Permanently disable start & stop - Page 8 - Volvo V40 Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #71 of 77 (permalink) Old 17-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateStarter View Post
I find that sufficient brake pedal application to halt forward movement will activate start/stop in my V40... still with considerable peddle travel remaining
A particular annoyance when trying to inch creep into my very tight garage & allow the door to close without wearing a lawnmower as a new grille badge .
Auto I guess, with a manual start/stop doesn't come into play until you are in neutral so it works fine for me.

D3 SE Lux Caspian Blue 2012 - 2015
T3 SE Lux Nav Flamenco Red 2015 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 (permalink) Old 18-10-2015, 05:51 PM

I've (inadvertently) figured out a way to disable start/stop on my auto V40 as I too found it was a bit too eager to activate on occasion. When I park at a friends house I need to do a three point turn and it loves to activate after I've finished the reversing manoeuvre!

Anyway, I installed a dashcam with a device (Power Magic PRO) that allows the camera to run all the time unless it detects the battery voltage has dropped to 12V (or 11.8V if you configure it that way). I find that, come the morning time, the camera will still be running but triggering the doors to unlock via the key fob will reduce voltage enough for Power Magic PRO to cut power and switch the camera off. I start the car and it switches the camera back on.

All of this seems to culminate in the battery maintaining a voltage that is sufficient for the camera to run all the time, for the car to start just fine but low enough that the car disables start/stop. Since installing the camera, start/stop has only worked once or twice and only after long journeys. There must be a lower voltage level where start/stop is disabled, though the light on the button remains on.

So far no issues starting the car, so there must be a safe margin for disabling/re-enabling the feature to ensure if it does switch the car off, it can get it back on again.
post #73 of 77 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 11:08 PM

Garage
I do not like the stop/start on my V40 CC D2 at all, apart from the obvious wear and tear issues their is another issue I have read about it that can cause expensive repair bills and that is to do with the DPF and its re-generation cycle.
Apparently, the way that DPFs work is that as they get clogged up with soot, the sensors in the DPF automatically start the regeneration cycle. The regeneration cycle involves injecting diesel fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, the subsequent diesel fuel enriched exhaust gas passes into the DPF where it burns off and reaches very high temperatures which burns away the soot. This cycle can last 10 minutes or so depending on how blocked it is.
If the regeneration cycle happens to be when you are driving along uninterrupted, it isn't an issue. However, if you happen to be in stop/start traffic at the time with your stop/start activated it can cause a number of things, one being the failure of your DPF as the cycle is interrupted. The other being that the fuel injected on the exhaust stroke doesn't get blown out into the exhaust but sits in the cylinders and passes the piston rings into the engine sump! You will then find that your expensive synthetic engine oil is diluted with diesel fuel which is not good for the engine internals and it also raises the sump oil level which can cause even more problems. Not certain if Volvo had protected from this happening via ECU software but I know that it is an issue on all Mazda diesels (Google it).
I have also read on this Forum that Volvo dealers don't fill the oil right to the top level to allow for a bit of diesel in there. I cannot vouch for the reliability of this info as I haven't researched it enough but I would rather play it safe non the less!!!
If anyone else could shed light on this issue it would be appreciated.
post #74 of 77 (permalink) Old 21-06-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf_Diesel_V16 View Post
I do not like the stop/start on my V40 CC D2 at all, apart from the obvious wear and tear issues
Don't know much about the DPF but I'd imagine Volvo have designed the car to cope with the start/stop system. All newer cars I've driven (I use hire vehicles quite a bit and have been in quite a broad range not more than 2-3 years old) have this, so I can't imagine it puts unplanned stress on the components for any manufacturer.

I also wonder if the car will disable start/stop when the DPF is being cleaned, not much it can do if you switch the ignition off yourself but it seems smart enough to disable start/stop with other factors (engine temp, cabin temp etc).
post #75 of 77 (permalink) Old 21-06-2016, 04:55 AM

Garage
On our V40 the stop start system is disabled when the dpf clean is taking place I believe all V40s are the same.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #76 of 77 (permalink) Old 23-06-2016, 11:36 PM

Garage
This unit will do the trick.

Connects to the can and switches OFF the start stop upon engine start.

You can still use the button to toggle it back on/off

http://www.ncs-systems.com/car-elect...m8-ed-off.html

Previous - S60 SE 2004 D5 (Owned 2010-2015) RIP
Current - V40 R-Design NAV 2015 D2 (Owned 2015 -
post #77 of 77 (permalink) Old 23-06-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
This unit will do the trick.

Connects to the can and switches OFF the start stop upon engine start.

You can still use the button to toggle it back on/off

http://www.ncs-systems.com/car-elect...m8-ed-off.html
Yes, OldCroc has got one on his V40 and is quite happy with it - I pointed him towards it a while ago via PMs.. I think they made him a small wiring harness so it plugs into the OBDII diags port for the CANbus and power connections for an extra 10, which saves any messing about with the wiring and makes it plug-and-play. I did ask him to post about his experience with it it, but I don't think he got round to it.

It works by spoofing the CAN message that is sent to the CEM when the Start/Stop disable button is pressed 3-4 seconds after the engine is started.
chiptivo likes this.

Last edited by buzby; 24-06-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.