Permanently disable start & stop - Volvo V40 Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 29-01-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Permanently disable start & stop

Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable start & stop? I totally hate it and every time I get into the car I have to disable it manually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 31-01-2013, 09:24 PM

RE: Permanently disable start & stop

Stay in 1st gear with the clutch in :P

I don't think there is a way of permanently disabling as this is part of the calculation of road tax etc based on emissions.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 31-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volver
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable start & stop? I totally hate it and every time I get into the car I have to disable it manually
Hello Volver. What is the problem with start and stop? Is there any serious problem?
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 31-01-2013, 10:42 PM

Permanently disable start & stop

You could see if the setting under MyCar disables permanently.
Not 100% sure where it actually is at but there is an option in those menu's...

I actually never have any issues with start stop and it only stops my engine when in the city at a traffic light... Because then I actually put it in neutral..
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I actually find very annoying when there is little traffic and you just stop and start again in 1-2 seconds. There is no option to disable it through the "my car" menu unfortunately and I believe the reason is what Pegasus829 is saying. Anyway, I can live with that but I would definitely like to disable it once and for all
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I actually find very annoying ...........
It's not that I find it annoying, it's more that with my journeys I doubt whether it's significantly beneficial to the environment. I think the number of times the engine is stopped and the proportion of time that the engine is stopped is miniscule. The aspect which makes me adopt the practice of disabling it at the start of every journey is to eliminate the additional wear on the starter motor, on the flywheel gear ring, and on the battery.

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Quote:
I actually find very annoying ...........
It's not that I find it annoying, it's more that with my journeys I doubt whether it's significantly beneficial to the environment. I think the number of times the engine is stopped and the proportion of time that the engine is stopped is miniscule. The aspect which makes me adopt the practice of disabling it at the start of every journey is to eliminate the additional wear on the starter motor, on the flywheel gear ring, and on the battery.

That's exactly my concern with stop/start tech - do we know if there is any clear and documented findings on start/stop causing earlier wear of starter/batt/etc vs a car that does without?

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM

There is a completely separate battery for this and brake energy harvesting is used to charge etc. I read an in depth review on the V40 R-Design that had all of the technical info. I'll try to find it again and link to it. The general consensus was negligible wear due to the gains in technology.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 AM

I've found that there are certain points on my commute to work that I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to be stationary for at least 20 seconds or more, like the traffic lights at Apex Corner, and again when I get to top of the hill at Hendon. I've started to count the seconds now when the engine stops. As the Drive recommendations state anything 15 seconds or over is saving fuel. It's surprising how quickly 15 seconds passes.

That said... I hate it when the cars cold, I'm stopped in traffic, the engine stops then restarts itself after a few seconds - that's just pointless!
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_2012
........... the engine stops then restarts itself after a few seconds - that's just pointless!
Let's hope that Volvo visits this site and reads the criticisms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.