Headlights - Volvo V40 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 22-12-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Headlights

Hi Everyone,
I have just taken delivery (20/12/13) of my Rebel Blue D3 R design, having moved from a D3 C30 R design, my second C30 my first being a C30 SE 2.0 litre 4 pot diesel.
On all 3 cars my major gripe is the very poor performance of the headlamps.
I was not prepared to spend £1200 for the Winter Illumination Pack.
One would have thought that on the Premium R design Xenon would have been standard.
On both C30's at least I had bulls eye h/lamps, and I bought a xenon kit and upgraded them myself.
The V40 has old school bulb type lamps which I think are pathetic !!!!!
I do a high mileages and I found xenon upgrades a must.
Any comments guys and gals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 22-12-2013, 05:06 PM

There is another thread about this issue, Clutch pedal and headlights. , I also found the headlamps very poor, but after adjusting them to the maximum height that I could get away with for an MOT test, they are much, much better.

V40 D2 R-Design.Passion Red.Winter Pack, Rain sensor wipers, Rear park assist, grocery floor, Tempa spare,cruise control,3 years servicing.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 22-12-2013, 07:12 PM

I'm confused, I though the R-design did come with Bi-Xenon's as standard...or do you need to go to Lux? Anyway, the above thread and another talks about the headlamps being raised slightly to the top end of the MOT limit...should be fine then.

Darren...D2 R-Design Lux Nav, Rebel Blue, Winter Pack , Premium Audio, DAB, Rear Tints, Auto Dimming, Love it!
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 22-12-2013, 08:00 PM

You should have paid for the better spec, if you wanted HID's however as you haven't you need to get some osram night braker unlimited bulbs , they are great bulbs and actually match the colour of HID's, I have them in the full beam lamps on our lasses ST3, I will get them in the V40 when I bother to take the lamps out.

Ebay is your friend for ordering them cheap

Also get some osram Diadem's for the rear indicators to loose the fried egg look, again from ebay
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Headlights

Don't agree about buying Lux spec being the answer.
Volvo pride themselves in being driven by safety I think paying an extra £1675 to to actually see at night time is a little strong, I dont really need a rain sensor or more pretty lights in the rear of my car.
I will upgrade them myself
Cheers for Now
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Cool

What's the difference between xenon and bi-xenon?
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Bi-xenon means that also high beams are xenon. So low/high beams uses the same headlight projector.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 04:25 PM

@Ray the Brake, if you wanted volvo to put it on the base model as standard they would simply put the base model price up,

YOu did not have ot have a lux to have HID's mine is not a lux I just went for the winter ilumination pack, yes not cheap but worth it as I wanted HID's, remember, 'you don't get owt for nowt' as they say up my way, you had the choice and you made it and please do not stick retro HID's in clear lens filament lamps they look naf and do not have a correct light pattern.

@V40fan you are only half correct.

Factory Xenon (HID's) are all Bi-xenon, these days

Basically the burner produces a lot of light and a flap covers/blocks some of the light to create a dipped beam, when you do full beam/flash, the flap moves to allow all the the light through, but also on the V40 you have a standard full beam filament bulb/lamp that also illuminates.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Oof, this is getting a bit heated! I'm happy with my standard lights now that I have adjusted them and main beam is excellent- far cry from the days of the Cibie Super Oscars that were the answer when I started driving. I just see it as having the bestest and brightest headlights in the world don't stop you from being blinded by someone else's. IMO lights are TOO bright on dip these days.

V40 D2 R-Design.Passion Red.Winter Pack, Rain sensor wipers, Rear park assist, grocery floor, Tempa spare,cruise control,3 years servicing.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 11:24 PM

HID's are not as good as people think, yes where they light up it is nice and bright, however unlike filament lights there is a very sharp drop off so where as on filament the light will gradually dim in to the distance, on the HID it just goes dark.

I will be popping to my friendly MOT tester to see about raising mine a little if possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.