Oh No my new R-Design is ruined :-( - Volvo V40 Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Angry Oh No my new R-Design is ruined :-(

We took delivery of a new R-Design 3 weeks ago with the promise the dealer would retrofit front parking sensors after delivery. They had a car in the pipeline that fitted my spec except for the front sensors so they could deliver a lot faster.

Loving the car so far even though the dealer has forgotten multiple times to call me back etc.

Yesterday it finally went in for the sensors to be fitted and I collected the car and drove away. Nobody available to show me the sensors and I was late for an appointment.

As I drove away the sensors started beeping all sorts of random tones even though there was nothing close to the car. When I stopped and checked I noticed the Volvo dealership has fitted an aftermarket system rather than retrofitting the Volvo system. This also includes a stupid looking button with a bright red light just behind the wiper controls.

When I got to my appointment I parked in a space very close to the car in front and no beeps at all!!

I'm disgusted the dealer thought it ok to fit a crappy cheap system that in no way belongs on a brand new car. The tones are nothing like the ones in the car, the centre screen in the car doesn't activate at all for the front sensors etc. and the button stuck on the dashboard looks atrocious.

I've emailed the dealer as it was 11pm when I got home and I have been in meetings all day but as yet have had no feedback.

Any advice how best to deal with this?

Also is there any way to check when the car was manufactured as the car had its pre service from a different dealership 3 months before we bought the car as brand new (according to a stamp in the service book) yet we were told it rolled off the production line only days before we took receipt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 05:25 PM

I had the eaxact same concern with my car supposdky brand new from the factory but when i checked it had been in a compound for five months prior to me buying it wasnt impressed at all.

And i definately wouldnt be happy with a cheap aftermarket parking sensor install. Would be taking the car straight back if it was mine. Or contacting volvo uk directly this was the only way my problem was dorted the dealership ignored my calls and drop ins when i was in the area for 6 months.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Hatfields Volvo Bury

Surprisingly the dealer cant see any issue, but wont talk about where the car was for the 3 months before we bought it. Am just sending him a nasty email back clarifying some of the points he is trying to dance around.

Don't suppose you can remember who how you contacted Volvo uk directly?

Will post a pic of the absurd button they have stuck on the dash if I can suss out how to.
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 08:45 PM

If you specifically want a brand new car direct from the factory, choose a bizarre factory fitted option or a non-standard colour, but don't expect a big discount or quick delivery.
Yellowbelly likes this.

2014 V40 R Design T3 manual Rebel Blue
(2014 V40 ES D2 manual Ice White - father's car)
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 08:52 PM

I would be absolutely furious with after market sensors and a silly button on the dash. They don't even bring the centre console to life when the beep.

I can tell you without a doubt that I'd have my car back there and I'd be in their face with something like that.

It's completely unacceptable.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Kev

I can't say I would be overly happy with that. Then again, I would never order a car with the offer retrofitting to a spec that I wanted in the first place.

Was it explicit what work the dealer would do in respect of genuine Volvo parts?
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodge123 View Post
Surprisingly the dealer cant see any issue, but wont talk about where the car was for the 3 months before we bought it. Am just sending him a nasty email back clarifying some of the points he is trying to dance around.

Don't suppose you can remember who how you contacted Volvo uk directly?

Will post a pic of the absurd button they have stuck on the dash if I can suss out how to.
I just searched for volvo uk customer services, and sent them an email they got back to me within a couple of days. If it wasnt for their help the issue would have never been sorted.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2014, 11:46 PM

I guessed what the issue was (well not re them not working properly but that they looked terrible and did not talk to the screen etc) within your first line where the dealer would retrofit the sensors.

How did the sale go, did you give them a spec, agree a price and then they say we can get you this car quicker we just need to retrofit the front sensors, if they did then you may have an argument.

If however you enquired about available cars saw/heard of the one with no sensors and asked them to fit front sensors and did not specify they were oe spec then you may be on a sticky wicket.

I personally would have double checked and had it specifically noted on the contract that all parts were Volvo original equipment as the car with the front sensors will probably have a different front bumper with the holes already in it so the sensors sit flush to the bumpers rather than on the top of the bumper.

I guess you realise the ones they have fitted are a £50 universal system they fit to to the used shopping trollies where people have to choose from limited stock as clearly can not choose the factory option as a factory built car.

Good luck with this but Volvo may not do much and say this is nothing to do with them as it is nothing really to do with the car they built but simply an issue between you and the dealer re how they delivered it to you
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-08-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denn1s View Post
How did the sale go, did you give them a spec, agree a price and then they say we can get you this car quicker we just need to retrofit the front sensors, if they did then you may have an argument.
We saw a car with another dealer which had front and rear sensors, in an effort to keep our business they offered the brand new car for more or less the same money only issue was the front sensors. They said they could easily retro fit them so it would be no problem. They knew the exact spec I wanted.

They are ringing me back tomorrow to discuss options. I fully expect them to try and bullshit their way out of it. They emailed me back earlier stating the systems had to be separate so you could identify front from rear. I mean WTF this is a major UK dealership of Volvo Hyundai and Jaguar!!
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-08-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Untitled.jpg

Photo of the "Quality Button" they fitted, apparently they have fitted loads of these and never had a complaint to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.