Volvo v40 engine management light - Volvo V40 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-09-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Volvo v40 engine management light

Hey guys. Ive just bought a 53 plate v40 and the engine light is on. What can cause this and how do i reset it? Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-09-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allbluedave View Post
Hey guys. Ive just bought a 53 plate v40 and the engine light is on. What can cause this and how do i reset it? Cheers guys.
That's the old V40 then? You have got a fault somewhere, either electrical or in the engine/transmission. You can plug an OBDII reader into the diagnostic port, scan for error codes, find out what they are and reset them to see if they come back. Here's a thread about it (also on an older V40) on the UK Volvo forums:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170037
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-09-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Cheers buzby. Im going to buy a code reader off ebay but unsure of what type would work?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 27-09-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allbluedave View Post
Cheers buzby. Im going to buy a code reader off ebay but unsure of what type would work?
The one mentioned in that link to the other forum is a generic ELM337 ODBII interface - you can get a USB version to connect to a laptop, or a Bluetooth version to connect to a laptop or smartphone. You will need software on the laptop or phone to do the code reading and resetting - I'm not sure what is available for Volvos on laptops, but the person on that forum was using the Android Torque Pro app.

The system Volvo dealers use is a set of applications called VIDA, and they use a bespoke USB/Bluetooth interface called DICE. These are available to buy from Volvo but cost a fortune, and you also have to buy a subscription to use VIDA (as it checks in with Volvo's server when you start it up), which again costs a fortune..

You can buy cloned DICE interfaces (the clones only have USB) that are usually supplied with a hacked version of VIDA (it doesn't connect to Volvo's server, which subsequently reduces the functionality). There are a lot of software prerequisites that need to be loaded onto the PC to get VIDA running (you have to be running the right version of Windows, the correct versions of the .NET framework, MS Access client framework etc) so it can be a bit of a pain to get it running. I have the 2013 version of VIDA running on an XP Mode Virtual PC but I only got it running after the 3rd install DVD from 3 different suppliers (the first 2 discs had been burned from corrupt image files).

I don't have a DICE unit though (my car is still in warranty, and the car logs every time DICE connects to it - a genuine version of VIDA logs it on Volvo's server as well). I just use VIDA for the parts database, and disassembly and repair instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.