Volvo V40 Forums banner

Auto lights/rain sensing wipers on the new R-Design?

11K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  chiptivo 
#1 ·
Morning all!

I have ordered a brand new R-Design with the Nav Plus pack, that is due to be delivered in the next 6 weeks.

After browsing the specs i'm a little worried about something the salesman told me.

Basically, on the test drive I specifically asked if the car will come with auto headlights and rain sensing wipers, to which he replied "yes, but i'll double check when we get back".

On return to the dealers, he checked a price guide and confirmed that it would come with the two things mentioned. So we went ahead and ordered. Osmium Grey, T3 engine, couldn't wait!

But after looking though a spec sheet, I noticed no mention of the lights, other than the car having the new Thor's Hammer lights, and the only mention of the wipers was on the R-Design Pro model.

Has anyone taken delivery of a new facelift R-Design and their car does have these features?

Thanks in advance

Kriss!

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't help with the info, but I can tell you that the rain-sensing wipers, for me, are poo. They seem to want to go twice as quickly as I'd usually have them during rain, and then when it's only really light or occasional rain and I would usually just do one 'wipe', they don't respond at all. Or say you enter a tunnel and as you go in you'd normally have one last wipe and then nothing until you come out. With rain-sensing on, I find if a little water dribbles down from the roof, i.e. nothing that you would put the wipers on for, it will activate them again.

I use nanolex on my front and rear windows which beads the water away fast, so maybe it's just my scenario, but I wouldn't be concerned if yours doesn't come with them. Auto lights on the other hand - that's a good thing I reckon!

Reactions: feltorange
#3 ·
Can't help with the info, but I can tell you that the rain-sensing wipers, for me, are poo. They seem to want to go twice as quickly as I'd usually have them during rain, and then when it's only really light or occasional rain and I would usually just do one 'wipe', they don't respond at all. Or say you enter a tunnel and as you go in you'd normally have one last wipe and then nothing until you come out. With rain-sensing on, I find if a little water dribbles down from the roof, i.e. nothing that you would put the wipers on for, it will activate them again.
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity with the 'intermittent speed' thumbwheel when the auto wipers are on?

#6 ·
*Side note - One thing you will quickly notice on the forum is the VERY differentiated package setup across the regions. One R-Design package is not exactly the same as another in a different region.

MY 2016 R-Design D4 in RSA comes with both options as standard - not sure about the facelift

Volvo do mention that use of *water repellent* products may inhibit the effectiveness of the rain sensors on the auto wipers. I do not use any of these products but have had the speeding up / slowing down effect. The sensitivity does come right after a few wipes though if you adjust it via the dial.

#17 ·
Has your car got the Lighting Logic Upgrade software option that activates the front and rear position and marker lamps during daylight?
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-nl/V40(13-)/Accessories/PrintDocument/VCC-490803/2013/T3/Manual
I believe that if that software download is applied, the LED above the 'Auto' switch position becomes permanently illuminated when the switch is in the 'Auto' position. I think that most of the cars with Active Xenon headlamps have this software option installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.