r Design Nav Plus 5dr Geartronic arrived today - Volvo V40 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

R Design T2 Nav Plus 5dr Geartronic arrived today

Gentlemen?

Took delivery of this beautiful car today after waiting two months to have it made. I had a V40 with my old job two years ago and love the experience. Since then I've rented numerous cars from Avis but non-have been is nice to drive as the V 40 I have a couple of years ago. So we decided to buy new car and the v40 r design is what we have decided upon.
It's automatic as my wife only has an automatic license, we added a rear camera which meant we had to upgrade the screen taking the navigation, which comes with cruise control, we added rain sensors for the windscreen wipers, and we decided to go with a petrol T2 engine the diesel was another £1500 which we decided against.
The dealer kindly added a 12 V socket into the boot of my request. And a driver from Volvo in Yeoville brought it up to Yorkshire today, I only had a couple of hours in it before I had chance to go and pick the kids up from school. It's also got Parking sensors front and back and the automatic parallel parking. I used a garage in Yeoville because they were really helpful when I got the car through my old job a couple of years ago, when I rang they were flexible unlike my local Volvo dealer, ok 300 miles further but I got a much better deal. The car was made 3 weeks ago in Ghent.
The car is amazing it's beautiful to drive and it came within our budget under £300 a month plus a deposit, I have cabled the car for the kids iPads and I'm looking forward to the weekend to give it a bit of a clean as it got dirty on the way up here this morning, and take it out for a few runs this weekend.
Please apologise for the grammar I'm using Siri and it's very late! One post I did already crashed for some strange reason so had to start again.
Even though it has Volvo navigation I still prefer using my iPhone 7, I've been using the new tom-tom go app which is been out for about six months and is really excellent it's a free download it works off-line and you only pay £14.99 per year this includes live traffic, speed cameras and speed limits and it's bang on accurate with ETA and re-routing and works without a mobile signal. I chose a very polite Indian lady called Sangeetha to talk the TomTom navigation which amused my children when I picked them up today in our new car.
One thing I was surprised about and I had forgotten because it was the same in the Volvo I had two years ago, was the lousy audio quality if you decide to play music from your phone using Bluetooth, it's much better quality using the USB and treating the phone is an iPod. In the Volvo I had two years ago it had the Harman Kardon sound system this was out of our budget on this car but I'm very impressed with the standard Volvo stereo system, Beethoven's seventh symphony sounded magnificent! (I don't have any compressed audio files on my iPhone, only Apple lossless files which are CD quality)
I'm going to look for it – cam to have fitted I've already bought some little stickers to go on the inside of the windows telling people that the car has a Camera.

The only regret I have is that the V 40 will not have Apple CarPlay for the next three years I reckon. I've been hiring cars from Avis for the last six months and a couple, a Seat with CarPlay in it and it was a revelation compared it to the clunky generic built-in entertainment systems in most cars allowing you to communicate with the minimum amount of distraction whilst driving it truly is a revelation hands off to Apple again for doing something much better than car manufacturers have been able to achieve, but I'll wait till I upgrade my Volvo in 3.5 years when CarPlay will probably be fitted to the cars as standard.

One question regarding the park pilot, when I drove home I wanted to use the park pilots on my side but when I press the button it defaulted to scan the left hand side of the road I checked in the manual but it's not clear how to change the scanning from the left to the right hand side? (I was nearer to cars on right but it still defaulted to left.

This is the only second automatic car I've ever driven and I'm really enjoying not having to change gear!

I keep making a BAAAAAAHHHH sound to most of my friends like a sheep because they all have the mandatory German car brands, I've never followed the crowd and I'm really enjoying what Volvo are doing by giving the Germans a run for their money. If I taken a similar car from one of those brands we would've paid probably 8K more for all the features we've added to the Volvo.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow in the Yorkshire Dales, it's a perfect car for winter weather too.

I've added a couple of photographs that I took today in the Devonshire Arms car park an hour after I took delivery.

The new for headlamps are really bright amazing how bright it is when I turn the light on from my house through the window compare to the Volvo from two years ago.

Shaun

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (380.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (399.6 KB, 79 views)
LateStarter and motmot like this.

Last edited by shiveringgoat; 03-12-2016 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Crashes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Garage
Haven't had a chance to log in much lately so a warm welcome to shiveringgoat & any & all new owners since my last visit...
Congrats one & all on your new V40's!!
I just HAVE to plagiarise Mr Grace in this instance...
You've ALL done VERY WELL
Hope you are all getting the "fizz" from your V40's

All you need to do to scan the other side of the road for parking is to use that side indicator!!
Indicate left - scan left... Indicate right... scan right!

Thanks for the pics shiveringgoat... She's a beauty!!
Enjoy

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:48 AM

Garage
Welcome and congratulations on the new V40. Also grand to see another member from a Yorkshire.

I must say I'm even more impressed that you managed to dictate that whole post through Siri, I can't get Siri to type more than one sentence without typing out the wrong thing entirely.

Sent from my  iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Red face On Ilkley Moor without a Hat!

Many thanks for help with PAP!

I cleaned and waxed her this morning and took her to Ilkley Moor, tonight she's off for a curry to Bradford!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (196.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg (231.8 KB, 50 views)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Took her to the Sweet Centre Lumb Lane Bradford tonight, she loved the Channa Dal and Tandoori Roti!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1703_1480806787348.jpg (97.7 KB, 52 views)
motmot likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 AM

Garage
It's strange that you say music played over Bluetooth sounds bad I use it all the time and have compared it with a cd and can't tell the difference, perhaps it's a apple thing as I use a android device.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Really? I plug my iPhone into the USB and select it as a source, as I also paired Bluetooth to use on the phone so the car syncs contacts and call history etc, when I switch between sources the USB (iPod) is much much clearer and louder.
My thoughts were that as the car probably has an older Bluetooth card in this was why, for example when Bluetooth 4.0 was released it enabled much wider frequency for audio and made a big difference to wireless headphone sound quality, but this is a hardware upgrade.
Another example is the sound quality of phone calls is not really clear, it sounds muddy and there is a delay if I say when driving "Hey, Siri, (to activate Siri without touching my device) and then "Shuffle my Kraftwerk Playlist" there is quieter e a delay before I hear the Siri sound just before I give an instruction, I'm pretty certain that the new Volvo is using older (2012?) Bluetooth card. As I have rented a few cars in the last few months they are all pretty much like this except that SEAT that that had CarPlay (and Android Auto) which sounded much better over Bluetooth.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to email Volvo and find out since Bluetooth was invented in 1989 it's gone through lots of changes see releases at bottom of Wikipedia page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth?wprov=sfsi1

Reminds me of the hundreds of times I've explained to relatives and friends that they need to make sure their service provider sends them the latest home router as Wifi has also gone through many changes, throughput and distance most importantly!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 PM
sdp

Garage
not sure about Apple devices but make sure there aren't any sound enhancements enabled on the device - I have an equaliser enabled on my android for headphones but it also applies it via Bluetooth and makes it sound awful until I disable it.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 PM

Garage
I've noticed the volume is much quieter over Bluetooth. I had to turn the sound to around 3/4 of the way up in the car as well as full on my iPhone. This is fine until I decide to change to radio or start the car select radio, forgetting how loud it is. I'm not one for loud music at all I admit (very much old before my time). It nearly blew my face off!

Sent from my  iPhone

2015 V40 T4 R Design Lux Nav | Rebel Blue | Xenium Pack | Lux Winter Pack | Autodimming Mirror | Premium Sound by HK
Dark Tinted Rear & Cargo Windows | Polestar Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.