Back to Volvo - Volvo V40 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Back to Volvo

Hello. We have recently taken delivery of a T2 Inscription auto. I have been following the forum for a while and decided to register at last.

The V40 is for SWMBO and she is very pleased with it generally. She has downsized from an S type Jag so it is a bit different! We both think the car is very smooth and surprisingly comfortable for a small car and is not a run of the mill brand.

One or two downsides.

The auto stop start only working when you have your foot on the brake! Why not release when you touch the accelerator?? That's how my previous Merc and current Skoda worked. I hate sitting at stop in traffic with the brake lights blinding everyone behind me.

In the ordering process we were badly advised by the dealer when ordering winter packs. We wanted what I now know is the winter plus package but got the standard winter pack and some driver aids like auto high beam.

None the less the LED light package is impressive. I have bi xenon adaptive on the Skoda and I think they are good but the Volvo LED is better on low beam, it highlights the edges much better.
LateStarter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM

Hello Pete

I bought a T2 Geartronic V40 arrived 5 weeks ago. R-Design. I'd be curious to know what MPG you get. Currently I've done 1800 miles and sitting on 28.1 MPG. Car mainly used for 1 mile trip to school and town driving. Last 3 times I filled up with Shell V-Power to see if any better on MPG.

I love the car, smooth and very comfortable, I lowered the tyre pressure from 38 psi to 33 psi and its made a difference to smoother ride. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is the MPG. No regrets about any other aspect of the car.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi there. car has only done about 1000 miles to date so we are still treating it gently for the most part. Current average is 36.3 based on the on board rather than fill to fill. Usage is mostly shortish journeys (30-40 miles) on country roads. One long journey up country mostly motorway gave 38.3
I did notice that finding the sweet spot on the curve for economy makes a big difference. The T2 engine is perhaps a little underpowered for the V40, we should have gone T3 I think, but it goes well enough when called for BUT at the expense of consumption.

hth
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:35 PM
sjc

Pete, I also have a V40 T2 automatic and am very happy with the car. I find the T2 powerful enough these days and it accelerates pretty well if you use the sport mode. I agree with you about the stop/start and I also do not like stopping at traffic lights etc with the brake lights on all the time. I know it defeats the object of stop/start but I usually just turn the feature off. As for fuel economy I average around 38-39 mpg mostly on A roads. Enjoy the new car.
shiveringgoat likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 PM

I have a V40 T2 automatic and I found that if you move the gear lever to park, take the foot off the brake pedal the engine will not restart until either the lever is moved from park or the throttle is blipped. I am averaging about 37.5mpg with a mixture of all sorts of roads. Town work is quite heavy - low 30's. Best consumption about 47 on a long trip. I found that it took a few thousand miles before everything bedded in for descent economy figures.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:32 PM

I have a 2.0 6 month old Diesel auto and on short journeys I get less than 40mpg, a lot less than the Renault Kadjar I had before it. I still prefer the Volvo though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once over the hill you begin to pick up speed!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V40Pete View Post
Hello. We have recently taken delivery of a T2 Inscription auto. I have been following the forum for a while and decided to register at last.

The V40 is for SWMBO and she is very pleased with it generally. She has downsized from an S type Jag so it is a bit different! We both think the car is very smooth and surprisingly comfortable for a small car and is not a run of the mill brand.
A warm welcome both to the forum and V40 ownership V40Pete... A great decision to add one to the family garage
Please try & upload some pics for us to admire when you get a chance...
Always great to see other members cars!

I'm sure "The Boss" will enjoy her V40 for many years & I suspect you'll help yourself to the key from time to time as well!!
Enjoy
V40Pete likes this.

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Do you have the Aircon on all the time? Thanks!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40Pete View Post
The auto stop start only working when you have your foot on the brake! Why not release when you touch the accelerator?? That's how my previous Merc and current Skoda worked. I hate sitting at stop in traffic with the brake lights blinding everyone behind me.
Have you tried putting it in park or applying the handbrake? The manual version doesn't need you to hold the car on the footbrake. As long as it is out of gear the engine stops, but it is safer then to apply the handbrake. (if the car starts to roll the engine will restart)

Current car
Rebel Blue V40 D2 RDesign Lux
Previous
C30 1.6 drivE RDesign
Ford Probe 2.5 v6 (218bhp) fast, but fuel consumption was horrific
Fiat X1/9 amazing fun, steered on rails, frightened 911's up to 50mph
And a few others that were much more boring
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

@shivering goat.
Yes the aircon is on all the time.

@Tony 1
I understand all that but my point is that there are better designs as I outlined. Easier to use and does make it 'automatic' without the problem that many don't realise that their brake lights are blinding me whilst they sit at the lights with their foot on the brake to keep their engine on stop. I was just surprised that Volvo with all their engineering have such a system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.