Media system reviews and USB compatibility - Volvo V40 Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Media system reviews and USB compatibility

Would any of you lucky people who have already received your V40, be able to give a quick review on the sound systems (user interface, handling, sound in speakers)? I am getting the 7" High Performance system myself.

And are any of you aware of compatibility lists for USB keys (to play music), either officially provided by Volvo, or unofficially, and do any of you have experience with to which level information on tracks, albums etc. are passed on to the screen?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 05:43 PM

RE: Media system reviews and USB compatibility

I've opted for the 7" sound system for my V40, and I really like it! I think the sound quality is good - i've heard a large range of different music and talk radio too. My previous car was a Smart, so it don't take much to impress, but I like it. I also like, that even with high speeds (motorways) you can still hear talk radio - that was not possible in the old Smart..

I haven't tried to play music from a USB stick, only with my iPhone - both connected via bluetooth and via cable. When you have it on the cable, you can navigate your albums/artist/genres etc from the buttons at the steering wheel (or at the dashboard), but when you stream via bluetooth, it just picks up where you left off. This is also pretty cool - we have a airport express hooked up to our stereo, so when I'm home I can listen to a album on my speakers in the livingroom via wifi, when I leave and go to the car, it continues from where it left off, with bluetooth

Also, when connected via bluetooth you can also make and answer calls, this works great too!

I took this photo, when my iPhone was hooked up via a cable:

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens-peter
I've opted for the 7" sound system for my V40, and I really like it! I think the sound quality is good - i've heard a large range of different music and talk radio too. My previous car was a Smart, so it don't take much to impress, but I like it. I also like, that even with high speeds (motorways) you can still hear talk radio - that was not possible in the old Smart..

I haven't tried to play music from a USB stick, only with my iPhone - both connected via bluetooth and via cable. When you have it on the cable, you can navigate your albums/artist/genres etc from the buttons at the steering wheel (or at the dashboard), but when you stream via bluetooth, it just picks up where you left off. This is also pretty cool - we have a airport express hooked up to our stereo, so when I'm home I can listen to a album on my speakers in the livingroom via wifi, when I leave and go to the car, it continues from where it left off, with bluetooth

Also, when connected via bluetooth you can also make and answer calls, this works great too!

I took this photo, when my iPhone was hooked up via a cable:

Tak/Thanks Jens-Peter. Seems like it will work well. Good song choice by the way - always good for driving :-) I am going to change phone as well and have seen that Samsung and IPhone work very well with Volvo. Depending on the phone memory, I would like to plug in a USB stick for listening to my many albums and then use the 12V plug for charging the phone. I believe there is a second 12V plug next to the USD plug in the arm rest compartment, right?

I see you have the Caspian Blue colour. I can still get in doubt whether I would have preferred the warmer colour to the Biarritz I am chosen (I still have time for changing my options, but not for long!!) :-)
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Media system reviews and USB compatibility

When using USB the only real important thing is to make sure the USB stick is formatted fat32. And that you use a fat32 sorter else the music which you probably have sorted on artist and albums won't be sorted on the Volvo limitation of fat32 but luckily there are tools for that.

I do prefer having an iPod connected.
Am using an old 160 gb click wheel iPod to store my music and have my iPhone via Bluetooth to make calls and use spotify to play music.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 29-10-2012, 08:00 PM

I have the simple "Performance" audio system, which is standard on all types, up to Summum.
It is described as incorporating four speakers, but I realized that this "four" actually refers to two speakers on the front doors and two tweeters on the dashboard. No loudspeakers on rear doors! I should have imagined this, as the amplifier is described as "2X25".
Is this correct?
Has anyone found some way to add two more speakers on rear doors? (My daughter is complaining!!!)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 29-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytint
I have the simple "Performance" audio system, which is standard on all types, up to Summum.
It is described as incorporating four speakers, but I realized that this "four" actually refers to two speakers on the front doors and two tweeters on the dashboard. No loudspeakers on rear doors! I should have imagined this, as the amplifier is described as "2X25".
Is this correct?
Has anyone found some way to add two more speakers on rear doors? (My daughter is complaining!!!)
That is right at least for Greece! I think we are the only country which gets such a low specification audio system as standard. The premium system is charged at 700 euros and the high performance one even more...

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 30-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickv
When using USB the only real important thing is to make sure the USB stick is formatted fat32. And that you use a fat32 sorter else the music which you probably have sorted on artist and albums won't be sorted on the Volvo limitation of fat32 but luckily there are tools for that.

I do prefer having an iPod connected.
Am using an old 160 gb click wheel iPod to store my music and have my iPhone via Bluetooth to make calls and use spotify to play music.
I've gone for the budget option of a 16gb memory stick with MP3 files (64gb can be picked up for £20 or 25 euros), works fine, I have the basic sound system which is good enough for me, I see artist and track name, plus track length with a bar to show how far through the track you are. Random works ok too, although it will select from every MP3 file on the stick, which is not always what I'm looking for as I have a couple of audio books and a language course on there. One minute I'm listening to music the next I'm learning Spanish.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-10-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Seems like different types of connections will work fine. I have on other occasions seen problems with certain USB keys, but as long as the format is right, it will play as intended and show relevant information. Will have to look for a way to avoid that random play goes across all folders!!
Peedy likes this.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 16-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volver
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytint
Is this correct?
That is right at least for Greece! I think we are the only country which gets such a low specification audio system as standard. The premium system is charged at 700 euros and the high performance one even more...

Performance < High Performance < Premium

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 16-11-2012, 05:25 PM

What is worst is the fact that the audio system can not be "enriched" afterwards. So I have to work out some kind of new patent. Does anyone know smthng about this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.