Differences between models - Volvo V40 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Nye

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Differences between models

Hi everyone. I am about to trade in my 2006 C30 for a V40. I really like the look of the CC, but as I am looking for a used, I am trying to be quite open minded, as long as the car has the essential kit that I want. My C30 is a sport and the suspension is quite hard, and as I drive mostly on country lanes which are in pretty bad shape, I dont want another car that rattles the bones as much as my current one. Also, having test driven an XC60 R Design when my wife got hers, we found the seats to be quite uncomfortable compared to the standard seats. So I have a few questions for you all:

1) R Design - are the seats a different shape or the same but with Alcantara leather?

2) R Design - are there any non-cosmetic differences ie suspension, chassis etc? Basically, is the ride harder than a standard V40?

3) On the standard V40, is it possible to have the sportier rear diffuser and tail pipes from the V40 fitted? I find the rear end on the standard car a bit dull to look at compared with the V40.

4) On the CC, how much have people paid to have the XC styling kit added? I think the car looks so much better with this option.

Thanks for your help - am test driving this weekend so want to know what to look for on the different cars so I can try out the appropriate models.

Scott
LateStarter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM
egb

Thumbs up

Having had first a d2 cc then a d2 r I can say I much prefer the r, both models have been lux so leather upholstery and there is a difference the r is more sculptured, which is far superior than the cc in which you seem to slide, added to the higher softer suspension and higher tyre sidewalls its not so planted, but the r is a somewhat a harder ride more so if you run the tyres at eco pressure on the standard chassis, rear diffusers seem to be reliant on engine size with no exhaust pipe showing on the d2 to one or two as you go, have no idea if a sports one can be added. To fit the cc body + rear diffuser kit is very expensive plastic and best bought already fitted on a Volvo management car, really its a case of horses for courses, I have no doubt that you will get a few different takes on which way to go which is just what you have asked for, hopefully you will find the car that's for you.

By the way welcome to the forum

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nye View Post
1) R Design - are the seats a different shape or the same but with Alcantara leather?
From the looks of it, I don't think there is much (if any) difference in the shape or amount of padding in the seats between an R Design and the other models - it's just the covering materials that are different.

Quote:
2) R Design - are there any non-cosmetic differences ie suspension, chassis etc? Basically, is the ride harder than a standard V40?
For some odd reason the MY14-spec D2 Manual R Design came with the 10mm lowered sports suspension fitted as standard. It was a £500 option on R Designs with any other engine and any other model years.

Quote:
3) On the standard V40, is it possible to have the sportier rear diffuser and tail pipes from the V40 fitted? I find the rear end on the standard car a bit dull to look at compared with the V40.
I assume you are asking if the R Design diffuser can be fitted to other models? If so, then yes it can, though there are exceptions relating to the type of exhaust fitted to the car. The R Design diffuser is available as a dealer fit accessory (there are 2 versions, depending on if the car has parking sensors or not):
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-479996/2014
See the rather confusing note at the bottom of that page though:
"Diffuser not suitable for cars without visible end pipes, or with a visible end pipe."
Basically what it's saying is that it's not suitable for cars that don't have a visible exhaust pipe or a single exhaust pipe, i.e. it has to have the twin exit rear silencer under the boot floor. The stainless exhaust tips also have to be bought separately.

The diffuser from the standard V40 styling kit is also available as a dealer fit accessory:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-479975/2014
This will probably be more expensive though as the upper part of it is colour-matched to the car. There is a similar note on that page saying that it is not suitable for D2 models without the rear silencer. The exhaust tips again have to be purchased separately.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:09 PM

Garage
We picked up a 5 month old V40 CC SE D2 earlier this year with the style pack as part of the spec, optioned by the previous owner Volvo UK and have to agree the upgrades to the rear bumper particularly improve the look. Seat wise we find the standard cloth chairs in the SE spec very comfy and better IMHO than the R seats I tried in a showroom car. Our car also has optional 17" wheels with 225/50 tyres and the ride/handling seems pretty good on the CC's taller springs.

If your prepared to travel, then there are used CC's out there with the style pack, Chapmans in York/Malton for example, had a couple on the used lot last week, not sure on full spec mind.

Ed875

Volvo V40 Cross Country SE Nav D2 115PS (2015, MY15)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 12:44 AM

Garage
Welcome to the V40 forum Scott... You've chosen the ideal successor to your C30 IMO

My only advice being as model, options & colour are sooo subjective from owner to owner...
Make the effort to cover some miles between dealers to get your bum into as many different model & option variations as possible!
For every fan of the R's styling, lowered sports suspension & 17" or 18" wheel combo there will be just as many owners who will tell you to steer away from it...
You'll hopefully be keeping it for quite some time so invest some time now in trying to experience the various models & options for yourself.

Then upload some pics of what you eventually decide on for us all to admire... There are no "wrong" choices with the V40

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thanks for the information and advice, and of course the welcome!

I am planning to try out a few variants this Saturday before making a decision on which model to go for. At this point I suspect I will go for a manual D3 CC - I like the look of the car and expect the ride will be more suitable for the bumpy country lanes that I drive on than the R-Design. I also think I will need a bit more poke than the D2 offers (although it is surprisingly nippy for a 1.6, I just think I will need the extra welly as I like to get from a to b as quickly as possible).

The standard v40 looks good with the right alloys, but I think I would want to spend the money to get the styling kit fitted.

The most important thing for me is to get the ride quality and engine right, then I can find one that looks good.

Will definitely post some pics when I have it, will hopefully be in the next few weeks.

thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.