V40 vs golf - Volvo V40 Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-03-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

V40 vs golf

Hi, just found This forum and would love some advice. Am about to replace my fiesta titanium for something a bit more grown up. I like the Volvo v40. Although it's in a different league, my fiesta has leather interior, heated seats, cruise control etc and so I will find it hard to give that up! So I thought either Volvo cross country lux or r design lux.

I have a couple of questions, is the ride of the r design harsh? My fiesta has low profile wheels and it's a bit clunky over our poorly maintained roads in the uk. So I don't want to repeat that experience.

Does anyone have any advice about tyre sizes, I assume the smaller wheels give a better ride?

Has anyone had experience of the golf vs the Volvo and any opinions would be welcome.

Thanking you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-03-2016, 08:56 PM

Garage
I've no experience of Golf's but recently sold my fiesta titanium and bought a V40 so can maybe offer some relevant advice.

Concensus seems to be the Volvo is on the firmer side in its class so personally I'd avoid larger rim sizes if harsh ride is a big concern. I don't have any problems though personally (but I never did in my ford either).

Regarding the move from the fiesta I was very careful to spec the winter pack as I loved the heated windscreen. But, if it's important to you, it's worth knowing that the tinting rear view mirror you are used to also needs to be specced as an extra, albeit a relatively cheap one.

Finally, just to assure you that you won't be disappointed, I had no real complaints about the fiesta which had a lot of gadgets for a small car but am absolutely loving the upgrade to my V40.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-03-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WVD View Post
I've no experience of Golf's but recently sold my fiesta titanium and bought a V40 so can maybe offer some relevant advice.

Concensus seems to be the Volvo is on the firmer side in its class so personally I'd avoid larger rim sizes if harsh ride is a big concern. I don't have any problems though personally (but I never did in my ford either).

Regarding the move from the fiesta I was very careful to spec the winter pack as I loved the heated windscreen. But, if it's important to you, it's worth knowing that the tinting rear view mirror you are used to also needs to be specced as an extra, albeit a relatively cheap one.

Finally, just to assure you that you won't be disappointed, I had no real complaints about the fiesta which had a lot of gadgets for a small car but am absolutely loving the upgrade to my V40.
Thanks for the response. What model did you get!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-03-2016, 10:25 PM

Hi
I have owned golfs ,Audi as well as my new V40.
The v40 has a Ford Focus Chassis so it has an excellent pedigree in road handling. You said you are thinking of the R Design a very nice car with clean cut eye catching body lines but the Volvo has not got the build quality of the German VW brand.A Simple test just close the doors a nice heavy clunk from VW just a normal clunk from Volvo. Look at the paint finish on Volvo its good but does not stand up to the hard quality of VW. Drop the Bonnet into the close position again a nice heavy thud from VW and a bit tinny from Volvo. The carpets are Baggy fit on the V40 foot wells .Why? I don't know.
Volvo do seem to cut corners ( a great shame) and Vw don't .Well not that I can see. On the plus side VW do look a bit dated on the inside and you wont get better seats than Volvo.
Good luck on your choice
Sweep likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-03-2016, 10:35 PM
sdp

Garage
This sounds familiar. We went from a 10 year old Fiesta Zetec (bought at 1.5 years old) to a V40 (bought at 6 months old). The two cars we went for second test drives were, you guessed it, the Golf and the V40.

My quick thoughts on what I can remember about the Golf:
- marginally more practical
- zillions of them on the road
- good ride
- couldn't get near the spec of the V40.
- felt like you were sitting on-top of the seats and controls rather than in them
- in 1.6 diesel form you only get a 5 speed gearbox - it won't happily go through a 30mph zone in 4th gear which I found annoying

We were looking at Golf Match or possibly GT - but have a quick trawl through the classifieds and there are hardly any with leather seats. Or satnav. Or xenon headlights. Yes from Match spec upwards you get adaptive cruise but there are plenty of V40's with the Driver Support Pack which adds this. About the only extra it has which I'd have liked is the electronic handbrake (though I'm not a fan of the one on the S60 I had as a courtesy car - the switch is in a stupid place).

My wife did not want a Golf as it was boring and you see them everywhere and after a second test drive back to back we were much happier with the V40. We did deliberately go for the SE Lux rather than R-Design Lux due to the ride. Our first test drive was in an R-Design with I think 18" wheels and the ride was a bit harsh. Given the main reason for getting the car was for long motorway commutes it made sense to get a car as comfortable as possible! Plus being an SE Lux it has the non R-Design style LED driving lights which are a bit more unusual in my opinion.

We got a 6 month old D2 SE Lux Nav with Driver Support Pack, Winter Pack and Xenium Pack. This came from Volvo UK as an employee car, we basically gave our criteria to the salesman and send ring when he'd found one. After a few which I rejected (my14 so without Sensus or free map upgrades) he eventually came up trumps with an early My15. I confirmed the purchase over the phone and didn't see the car until I picked it up other than a not-great screenshot of it on their internal website.
Sweep likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-03-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. So it's perhaps best to limit to 17 inch wheels.
I agree with the golf comments....they are solidly built but not many toys for the money and there are a lot around.
And so, how are Volvo on discounts for used cars?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
Hi
I have owned golfs ,Audi as well as my new V40.
The v40 has a Ford Focus Chassis so it has an excellent pedigree in road handling. You said you are thinking of the R Design a very nice car with clean cut eye catching body lines but the Volvo has not got the build quality of the German VW brand.A Simple test just close the doors a nice heavy clunk from VW just a normal clunk from Volvo. Look at the paint finish on Volvo its good but does not stand up to the hard quality of VW. Drop the Bonnet into the close position again a nice heavy thud from VW and a bit tinny from Volvo. The carpets are Baggy fit on the V40 foot wells .Why? I don't know.
Volvo do seem to cut corners ( a great shame) and Vw don't .Well not that I can see. On the plus side VW do look a bit dated on the inside and you wont get better seats than Volvo.
Good luck on your choice

Have to disagree with the build quality on golf vs V40. I had a few poorly fitting trim panels and come and go rattles on my golf. (Mk6 from new). My V40 has a far higher standard of fit of interior and external parts. Shut lines are better, boot is well sprung and closes properly every time.

Btw, the V40 bonnet has a slight give in its closing mechanism - as there has to be some give in the front latches to allow the rear to pop up for the pedestrian airbag.
Sweep likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2016, 01:32 AM

The bonnet is also not made of steel, and will therefore sound different when being closed. I've had two Golfs from new, and now on second V40. The golfs were very nice, but I much prefer the V40.

D2 SE Lux Biarritz Blue 2012 - 2015
T3 SE Lux Nav Geartronic Power Blue 2015 -
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2016, 06:18 AM

Garage
DSG 'box on the Golf makes for a ridiculously slow take-off from the lights imo. This was a deal breaker for me. It felt like you were starting in 2nd gear. Agree with comments on the seats, I think Volvo make the best seats of any manufacturer. I do quite a few 900+km day trips throughout the year and my body always feels fresh in the V40 at the end. It never does in any other car I might take. I also think the interior is far more luxurious than the Golf, and also more intuitive. I much prefer hard buttons on my console than a touch screen. It means you can do more things by feel rather than having to take your eyes off the road.

Only think I preferred with the Golf was that amazing turning circle! Small price to pay though

MY15 V40 T5 R-Design Ice White, Polestar, Heated Seats. Audio upgrade and window tint TBC.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Arb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
Thanks for the replies. So it's perhaps best to limit to 17 inch wheels.
I agree with the golf comments....they are solidly built but not many toys for the money and there are a lot around.
And so, how are Volvo on discounts for used cars?
I agree with the comments so far, I am very familiar with Golfs having owned or driven every one since the mk1 in all variations. We have also just traded in our Mk7 Golf Match 2.0 TDI for a.... Mk7 Golf Match 1.4 Pertrol with auto this time it came with more toys like sat nav, heated seats and the auto box.
It's our second car and more of a run around for my wife we traded in the TDI early because this time the Diesel engine kept giving us grief wanting constant regen due to the short journeys, where as our previous Mk6 1.6 TDI was fine over the 3 years.
My Dad works for our local VW dealership, so we are able to get very good deals.

My impression of the Golfs is is yes they are very good at giving the impression of qaulity, the solid thunk of the doors, the fit and finish of the interior and excellent material choice, little things like feltlined door pockets etc. Volvo needs to play catch up to match this implied impression of qaulity.

Realistically build qaulity is near enough the same apart from Volvo's annoying corner cutting.
Paint qaulity as mentioned is also stronger on the Golf, my V40 picks up stone chips far easier and seems softer than the Golf.

Ride quality is much firmer than the Golf, other than the D2 which confusingly in Rdesign trim comes with sports suspension as standard, the rest of the Rdesigns have the same suspension as a standard V40.

Discounts are high you stand more chance of a bigger discount on new than second hand, it seems Volvo have priced high from new I presume to compete in the company car market? So will heavily discount if pushed. It's one of the reasons I got the V40 over a Golf GTD even with the discounts I could get on the Golf the V40 blew it away on price v spec.

I am also a little bored of Golfs now.
Brigstowe and Sweep like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.